Phonec Tutorial: External Audio Processing

Official support for: psychicmodulation.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a tutorial on how to use Phonec's new External Audio Processing feature in Ableton Live. For this tutorial I'm going to run another VSTi through Phonec in order to utilize the Melt effect. So, let's get started.

First thing we need to do is insert two midi channels into Ableton Live and load up Phonec on one midi channel, and choose any synth you want for the other midi channel, I'm gonna use ImpOSCar2.

Next, we need to route ImpOSCar into Phonec's audio input. To do this, click the dropdown on ImpOSCar's channel under 'Audio To'. This defaults to 'Master', meaning the audio outputs to the master channel, but in this case, we're going to choose 'phonec'.

Now, open Phonec's GUI editor, and look for the 'Audio' knob in the Mixer section towards the bottom of the GUI. Turn this knob all the way to 10.

Close Phonec's editor. Make sure the 'Arm' switch (red button) is active on impOSCar's channel strip. Play some notes and you'll notice the sound is coming from Phonec's channel output.

Turn up Phonec's Melt knob and you can now hear it affecting ImpOSCar!

Another trick is to route it into Phonec's Echoshifter before it reaches the Melt by activating the 'FX' switch directly above the Audio knob. Also make sure the Echoshifter is activated.

Because Phonec uses a pitch-shifter to modulate the pitch of external audio, sometimes you may notice a slight audible delay now and then. This can be adjusted using the Melt 'Buffer' in Phonec's hidden panel of Melt controls. Click on the grip slider directly below the Melt knob and it will open this panel. Look for the slider labeled 'BFFR', that's the buffer control. Move it to the left to decrease the delay, however this will also increase noise and make the modulations less smooth, whereas higher settings might have more delay but a cleaner sound. Adjust this to taste.

While I'm discussing this, I'll go ahead and talk about the new Melt Modes: Circuit and Tape. Basically this gives you the option of Melt being an Oscillator based effect (Circuit) or an outboard, pitch-shifter based effect (Tape). Please note that changing Melt Mode does not affect External Audio, only Phonec itself. External Audio is always in Tape mode. You may want to use Phonec in Tape mode to give it more of a VHS sound, because all of it is being melted, the oscillators, the noise, the filter, even the delay. Whereas Circuit mode is a pre-delay effect and has none of the artifacts that come with Tape mode, meaning it's a cleaner modulation. It's also the original mode of the previous two versions, so that's the main reason I gave the option of the two modes, I didnt want this to affect the sound of any patches. And it wont. Phonec will default to Circuit mode, but if you want to experiment it's there for you. My advice: Use Circuit mode for fast attacks like sequences and arps, use Tape mode for pads and ambient sounds.

Lovely! 8) Can anyone help me figure out how to route things in FL Studio? In Orion 8.5 (my Orion copy is NFR, and I need it for my old halfbaked "projects" and something that makes a minimum of sense to silly me anyway..) I reckon one is forced to use something like Metaplugin, I don't know of any way to route audio into a VSTi there? Or is it as simple as the old rename a copy of the dll trick to make the host percieve it as an fx plugin?

V-GER wrote:Lovely! 8) Can anyone help me figure out how to route things in FL Studio? In Orion 8.5 (my Orion copy is NFR, and I need it for my old halfbaked "projects" and something that makes a minimum of sense to silly me anyway..) I reckon one is forced to use something like Metaplugin, I don't know of any way to route audio into a VSTi there? Or is it as simple as the old rename a copy of the dll trick to make the host percieve it as an fx plugin?
I'm not familiar with Orion, but I'll have a look at FL Studio and get back to you...

Tried the demo of your synth and it's amazing. Unfortunately I can't route external audio to it in Cubase 6.5 to use the melt effect which is what I'm most interested in. Cubase doesn't let you do that unless there is a version of the plugin flagged as an "effect" or something. Not a developer so I don't know the technical details. Is this something that can be addressed? You'll have a guaranteed sale if so and make lot's of cubase users happy.

jpeez wrote:Tried the demo of your synth and it's amazing. Unfortunately I can't route external audio to it in Cubase 6.5 to use the melt effect which is what I'm most interested in. Cubase doesn't let you do that unless there is a version of the plugin flagged as an "effect" or something. Not a developer so I don't know the technical details. Is this something that can be addressed? You'll have a guaranteed sale if so and make lot's of cubase users happy.
I'm pretty sure that I can compile a separate version that might fix this. Let me download a cubase demo and test it out. I'll get back to you shortly...

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote:
jpeez wrote:Tried the demo of your synth and it's amazing. Unfortunately I can't route external audio to it in Cubase 6.5 to use the melt effect which is what I'm most interested in. Cubase doesn't let you do that unless there is a version of the plugin flagged as an "effect" or something. Not a developer so I don't know the technical details. Is this something that can be addressed? You'll have a guaranteed sale if so and make lot's of cubase users happy.
I'm pretty sure that I can compile a separate version that might fix this. Let me download a cubase demo and test it out. I'll get back to you shortly...
If you don't have a steinberg USB dongle you'll need to grab the Cubase Elements version. Less features but should still work for testing. Thank you so much looking into it. I know there are a few vst instruments that have had to have separate plugin usually labeled "pluginname-FX" to work around that cubase issue.

I have a suggestion for the GUI. You should be able to drag the dots that function as sliders by simply clicking anywhere in the box it sits in and dragging in the appropriate direction. After all, why make us click on a tiny dot with accuracy when the entire box could serve the same function? :)

Just an idea to up the usability.

I'd also like to suggest perhaps some shading on the cream border of the synth GUI, to give it a bit more solid look, but that's just details.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:I have a suggestion for the GUI. You should be able to drag the dots that function as sliders by simply clicking anywhere in the box it sits in and dragging in the appropriate direction. After all, why make us click on a tiny dot with accuracy when the entire box could serve the same function? :)
I don't know if that's possible in Synthedit at the moment. There's a lot of things I'd like to do with controls that can't be done, or maybe they're just not very documented. I will try to make these sliders more functional though.
I'd also like to suggest perhaps some shading on the cream border of the synth GUI, to give it a bit more solid look, but that's just details.
Well that might interfere with my minimalist approach, but thanks for the suggestion :) I'll try it out and see if I like it.

jpeez wrote:
If you don't have a steinberg USB dongle you'll need to grab the Cubase Elements version. Less features but should still work for testing. Thank you so much looking into it. I know there are a few vst instruments that have had to have separate plugin usually labeled "pluginname-FX" to work around that cubase issue.
Any news on using Phonec as an effect in Cubase?

stixman wrote:
jpeez wrote:
Any news on using Phonec as an effect in Cubase?
I have a small update planned, which will include an effect version. I have not tested this in Cubase though, mainly because I was never able to install a demo version (they sure make it difficult), but I'm pretty sure this would work. I can compile a quick test version for anyone interested in trying it out.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Love the plugin in so far, but the primary reason I purchased this was for external audio processing and it seems like it's only built for ableton.

I'm using Pro Tools and Renoise right now and since you haven't made an AAX version of this, I'm only using it in Renoise, but I can't really figure out how to use it as an external signal processor.

I noticed that another user had a similar problem with the older version when he ran it on cubase and you asked for a demo, so here's the demo page for renoise

https://www.renoise.com/download (https://www.renoise.com/download)

As a aide note, the effect works fine in Sonar so it's not just made for Ableton.

Vargtimmen wrote:Love the plugin in so far, but the primary reason I purchased this was for external audio processing and it seems like it's only built for ableton.

I'm using Pro Tools and Renoise right now and since you haven't made an AAX version of this, I'm only using it in Renoise, but I can't really figure out how to use it as an external signal processor.

I noticed that another user had a similar problem with the older version when he ran it on cubase and you asked for a demo, so here's the demo page for renoise

https://www.renoise.com/download
Phonec audio inputs will work in hosts that have a modular architecture like Bidule and hosts with flexible routing like Ableton. I've heard from Cubase users that instruments cannot be used as effects. It's a shame because this leaves out a number of possibilities. I'm assuming ProTools recognizes plugins the same way.

It seems like there is no separate FX module in v2. Is there a way to use Phonec as an effect in Ableton without creating 2 tracks, and routing the signal between them? (Ableton doesn't allow VSTis on audio tracks).

zwobot wrote:It seems like there is no separate FX module in v2. Is there a way to use Phonec as an effect in Ableton without creating 2 tracks, and routing the signal between them? (Ableton doesn't allow VSTis on audio tracks).
There is no separate FX version. The audio inputs are just an added feature that can be used if your host has that capability. I will however be making a separate FX unit soon. This will be a different plugin entirely. I will be posting more about this soon.

Return to “Psychic Modulation”