Easiest way to implement switches in Mux?

Official support for: mutools.com
docbot
KVRist
60 posts since 4 Apr, 2006

Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:36 pm

Hello fellow MUX users, I need some feedback on a midi patch, especially interested if there's maybe a better way to implement switches that I didn't think of.

I am building a little automatic note to chord modifier that works like this:

(Note: this is just a test and only works on the C note at the moment, but you get the trill)
If you play a sequence, MUX will automatically automatically convert the first played C note to C Major, the next C note played in the sequence will be converted to C Maj6, the third C Note played will be converted to C Minor and then the cycles goes back to C Major for the fourth note and so on

Users are able to switch up the Chord Progressions, so you can switch between Major - Maj6 - Minor to lets say Maj7 - Min6 - Min, in the GUI by pushing a Button.

I did this by having a round robin note dispatcher connected to 3 x 3 note modifiers which are than summed to 3 patch points that are routed to three note dispatchers that have the same amount of outputs as there are Chord Progressions and setting them to keyed - special key G9 and connected a Pad that plays a G9. So whenever a G9 is played the output will go 1 forward and since every module has 2 empty outputs, the outputs are offset in such a way that always only one note stream will play and the other ones are muted.

Finally I filter the G9 note out in the Stream which makes it unavailable for compositions.

Now I was wondering if there is maybe a easier way do let users switch between the 3 options, one thing that is not optimal is that users won't know which chord progression is active by just looking at the gui unless you remember how often you hit the G9 Note Pad Button :)

Loving MUX so far!

Screenshot:
Last edited by docbot on Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

docbot
KVRist

Re: Easiest way to implement switches in Mux?

Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Okay already came up with a more flexible and efficient Gui implementation by using the on/off switches renaming the note mapping modules to the respective chords to let users just select the chords they want in sequence in a table. without being a able to copy modules with their connections intact, this will be a bit of pain in the a** to set up for all notes tough.

Any other ideas?

bibz1st
KVRAF
1620 posts since 29 Mar, 2013

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:50 am

Can you put some of those in their own mux, then when you copy that mux all connections inside will be there, you will still have to connect each mux but will be less cable attaching and will be less 'messy'
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

docbot
KVRist

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:12 am

bibz1st wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:50 am
Can you put some of those in their own mux, then when you copy that mux all connections inside will be there, you will still have to connect each mux but will be less cable attaching and will be less 'messy'
thanks for the tip! do you know if nesting mux instances causes any kind of delay?

pljones
KVRAF
6492 posts since 8 Feb, 2003 from London, UK

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:54 pm

It'd be CPU cycles rather than buffer cycles, so basically unnoticeable, I'd have thought.
Last edited by pljones on Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bibz1st
KVRAF
1620 posts since 29 Mar, 2013

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:34 pm

It'll be fine, its what MUX is made for
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Return to “MUTOOLS”