44%
APOLLO
17%
Other
15%

Total votes: 41

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Jo how's the Mac version coming along?
Good!

A test version should be available this week!

I voted for Apollo - one of the mythical gods. Sounds good to me, but pollo is Spanish for chicken. And to me that would be a negative, marketing-wise, in Spanish speaking countries. How about "BOSON" - sort of like the mythological sub-atomic particle: Higgs-Boson. :hihi:

On a serious note, pun not intended, Jo, I don't think you've hit upon the absolute best name, yet. From a marketing standpoint it's a huge consideration which deserves some more time - perhaps 2 weeks - to find a good name. Maybe you need to run a contest among the creative minds of KVRians, and the winner gets a free lifetime copy of the software. You'd pay a marketing company a lot more than the cost of one software for them to come up with a name. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

PS A luna moth is being used in marketing of a new sleepaid in the U.S. called Lunesta. Luna = :zzz:

(pss So, is the contest on or not? :hyper: )
RogerPerrin

I'm up to my old hat tricks again.

I'm in!
:box:

rogerperrin wrote:I voted for Apollo - one of the mythical gods. Sounds good to me, but pollo is Spanish for chicken. And to me that would be a negative, marketing-wise, in Spanish speaking countries.
As an argentinian and native spanish speaker I can tell you with confidence that there's no risk of mistaking the greek god for a chicken. :hihi:
"Pollo" (chicken) is pronounced "Poio" in most latin contries (not in argentina... it's more like "posho" here).
It's clear even for somebody who doesn't speak much english, that "Apollo" is the english word for "Apolo" (the greek god, in spanish).
If somebody reads "Apollo" and pronounces it "Apoio" or "Aposho" making it sounding chicken-like, it's certainly not a customer you would be honoured to have :D
"Épater les bourgeois"

i' m still partial to Luna tho...

This is exactly why I like Apollo:

"As patron god of musicians and poets, he carries a lyre and his symbol represents the “egg of creation."
" Indeed, Apollo is most often associated with the cultivated arts of music and medicine, and his role as the leader of the Muses establishes him as a patron of intellectual pursuits."

Have a look at this link. See the Lyre and the egg of creation? Now tell me that isn't a fantastic image for musical creation !

http://www.wordsources.info/apollo.html

Definitely NOT chicken !

Steve
Mixcraft 8 Recording Studio : Reason 10

Luna for sure... :)

I'm not sure how to practically organize a competition about this.

How would you select "the winner"?

The one who launched the winning name?

But then everyone needs to launch a new name so to make chance, right?

Would that work?

I see that 3 people vote for "Other".

What other name do you suggest?

dear jack dark

please take this photo

and make a 'glitch-apollo neo' plug-in
thank you

pljones wrote:Not really keen on Muton - too much like mutton...
Yeah, i heard about it :?
Luna - doesn't do anything much for me. It's a bit over-used, I'd say. Not original enough.
Well, it seems to sound good, i guess that's why others (e.g. Creamware) have used it too.

Still unused in host-land though.
MuSeq? (pronounced Mu-seek)
Already taken...

And though it's nice if you think about it, it doesn't sound easy, imho. (=> faq "how do you pronounce it").
It's hard to name a product without a really clear understanding of the target market and image. I guess that's why people hire marketing consultants and pay them lots of money... Branding.
The goal is to make a very accessible, easy, inspiring & fun-to-use music application where "the jamming vibe" is the central feel.

Even while in heavy production process, a musician should be offered that free jolly/artistic spirit.

That's what i like about Luna:

->It's an easy name
->It sounds good
->It's good as a symbol for music

The only disadvantage, agreed with pljones, is that it's already used in other fields.

Not sure how big that disadvantage is.

(I'm one of those who hit "other", btw.)

Another:
SeePlay (image: five line staff, C time sig, "Play!" in a nice font for the logo?)

Luna definitely has a lot of music links already: a simple Google on "luna" shows that. "luna software" doesn't show much that would clash (CreamWare's Luna card, M-Audio's Luna mic?), nor does "luna music", so I guess it's available.

Well, 'Luna' is the name of the Roman Goddess of the moon, so in spirit it's not actually too far away from 'Apollo'. However, if you want a different word with exactly the same meaning, 'Selene' is the ancient Greek equivalent of the Roman 'Luna'.
I realise that for many people, it doesn't actually matter what the word means, just as long as it sounds good. My take on 'Apollo' is that the tie to music and creativity makes for a closer fit to what Muton could be for people.
Maybe there's something better out there though. Only Jo can really make the decision I feel. Do you want the name to reflect what Muton can do and will be? If so, then it makes a difference what the word actually means symbolically.
Mixcraft 8 Recording Studio : Reason 10

love Muton and Luna, can´t decide witch one..
but what i think i will love is this software, looks like what i ´ve been looking, simplicity!!!!!!!!!!! , worked with a lot of complicated stuff, .im tired now, damn wish i knew it when i start it , simplicity is my "road" . thanks .

lunabase?

Return to “MUTOOLS”