Workflow issues in Muton Beta 1 release

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think I've mentioned this to Jo once before but not sure how it will be fixed, if at all.

When I want to select a different preset for a VST effect I have to go to the Player panel right?
Well, if I have a synth loaded up already on that channel and want to hear what the preset choices sound like, the problem is, I won't hear anything because I have the effect selected in the Player panel and not the synth while I am choosing. Not great workflow.

Could we not implement preset choice as part of the mixer strip itself or as part of the VST box when it is double clicked?
Mixcraft 8 Recording Studio : Reason 10

I do agree - I think the preset chooser should be inside the "Editor" window for the VST/VSTi, rather than on the MuTon window itself. (Along with load/save FXP/FXB, of course.) If I'm playing my keyboard and want to change reverb patches, it's annoying to have to switch the instrument to be the reverb. It doesn't make any sound! ;)

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. There's no logic to it at the moment. The Player panel can't be everything. I still think that the mixer channel strips are not being utilised to their fullest. The edit buttons make sense, but why not be able to edit an instrument from there as well or be able to choose presets for any of those plugs? I can understand the Player panel being used to choose what makes the sound, but beyond that it becomes a bit redundant at the moment. Everything else can be moved either to the VST editor window or on channels strips. Better use of space and makes more workflow sense than to have to constantly switch.
The other way it could be done is to have two player panels, one for synths and one for effects. But then, it may just become too cluttered. Modern sequencers make good use of available space without too much redudancy. Well, the ones that draw a lot of attention anyway !

With all these thoughts in mind though, what is the point of the Player Panel? Most crucial functions can easily be moved to individual mixer channels. Instruments and effects can be added there, they can be edited from there and in order to play through an instrument, all you'd need to do is highlight the relevant channel. It would light up or something similar and you'd hear the instrument on that channel as you play your MIDI controller. This system eliminates the need for a Player Panel completely and has internal logic.

But, maybe Jo has further plans I don't know about yet.

You're right that there is a workflow problem there, i.e. choosing presets for an effect while you want to continue playing a synth.

So that must be improved.

The good thing about the Player Panel is that it is a main hook into the application.

A newbie user can quickly find a way to add a synth a make sound, and that's an good thing!

And the Player Panel also gives quick access to the VST instrument editor.

Though i like your suggestion to move the "Add Synth" function to the mixdesk, i think i might be less obvious for less experienced users.

What do you think?

The most logical solution for the indicated workflow prob is, imho, to add a preset browser to the vst editor window.

Sounds ok for you?

muzycian wrote:The good thing about the Player Panel is that it is a main hook into the application.
A newbie user can quickly find a way to add a synth a make sound, and that's an good thing!
Yes, that's a fair and reasonable point. I understand it in this way.
Though i like your suggestion to move the "Add Synth" function to the mixdesk, i think i might be less obvious for less experienced users.

What do you think?
Agreed. I think it's probably the easiest and most logical solution. It just adds another option to add an instrument making the interface easier to get nto for a new user or an experienced one. Also seeing as effects can already be added straight from the mixer panel, it now just means that instruments can be added to. Makes sense.
The most logical solution for the indicated workflow prob is, imho, to add a preset browser to the vst editor window.

Sounds ok for you?
Yes. Agreed.

Steve

Return to “MUTOOLS”