Muton Beta 2

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, another question. Will Muton have a "Freeze" function?

--Sean

jinnan_tonnix wrote:Fairly minor observation:
In the main composition window, the cursor to move the track name/number boundary border is a hand. Maybe change it to the more tradition I-beam cursor (][ or 'I')?
Isn't the standard a double arrow cursor pointing left and right?
Also, when you name tracks (e.g. drums, bass, keyboard, etc) you will want to see the track names. So when you resize the track name/number area, the font resizes, which is a good idea. But the speaker/mute symbol also resizes, down to quite a tiny size. The speaker/mute symbol doesn't really need to resize, does it? It makes it a bit more difficult to click to mute/unmute tracks. Perhaps keep the icon a regular size?
It looks ugly to have small text and a big mute symbol.

Also: A bigger mute symbol takes more space, leaving less for the text.

That's why the mute symbol follows the text size.

> DiGiT < wrote:hmm im not sure if this is what youre looking for, but i wish for every audio track you imported, a new mixer channel would pop up.
In the Unlimited version (available from march 31) you can create as many Audio Stream Strips as you want.
how about grouping faders?
You can "group" strips by sending them to a common send strip.
god im terrible at beta testing lol!
Just giving feedback the way you do is fine! Thanks!

audiojunkie wrote:Hey, another question. Will Muton have a "Freeze" function?
--Sean
Not in version 1.0

But with version 1.0 you can already do the mother of all freezes:

-> mixdown a selection to audiofile
-> load that audiofile back in the composition
-> mute the selected source parts

:)

A real Freeze function might come lateron.

Once 1.0 is rocking and rolling (and that bottle of champagne is empty), new choices will be made, and next steps will be outlined.

muzycian wrote:
jinnan_tonnix wrote:Fairly minor observation:
In the main composition window, the cursor to move the track name/number boundary border is a hand. Maybe change it to the more tradition I-beam cursor (][ or 'I')?
Isn't the standard a double arrow cursor pointing left and right?
Err yes. It was late. I meant <-> not I beam :oops:
Also, when you name tracks (e.g. drums, bass, keyboard, etc) you will want to see the track names. So when you resize the track name/number area, the font resizes, which is a good idea. But the speaker/mute symbol also resizes, down to quite a tiny size. The speaker/mute symbol doesn't really need to resize, does it? It makes it a bit more difficult to click to mute/unmute tracks. Perhaps keep the icon a regular size?
It looks ugly to have small text and a big mute symbol.

Also: A bigger mute symbol takes more space, leaving less for the text.

That's why the mute symbol follows the text size.

OK!

muzycian wrote:
audiojunkie wrote:Hey, another question. Will Muton have a "Freeze" function?
--Sean
Not in version 1.0

But with version 1.0 you can already do the mother of all freezes:

-> mixdown a selection to audiofile
-> load that audiofile back in the composition
-> mute the selected source parts

A real Freeze function might come lateron.

Once 1.0 is rocking and rolling (and that bottle of champagne is empty), new choices will be made, and next steps will be outlined.
That makes sense. :-) Does muting the selected source parts cut the CPU usage? For example, in Sonar 2.2, there was the archive function that completely disabled CPU usage from the disabled VST(i). In FLStudio, the mute function reduces but doesn't completely disable CPU usage from the VST.

Just curious.

Thanks for the response!

--Sean

In beta 2 the answer is: it reduces cpu usage.

But i already have a subsystem on paper that will almost completly cut cpu usage for unused vst plugins!

This is not only good in case of "manual freezing".

But also in case you use an effect or synth in part A of your song, but not in part B. Well then part B has more cpu-headroom for another effect :)

Watch the "What's New" for the coming versions ;)

Excellent! I'll be doing that. :-)

--Sean

hmm i cant get it to mess up unless i try to delete a synth... then it crashes.

i miss parts that auto repeat when you draw with the pencil tool, like in muzys...

re: the fader grouping... what if i dont want to send all channels to one?

i wish for the right click tool selection as well.

parabolic curves for controller drawing?

oooh i know! i wanna drag the inserts up or down with the mouse- sort of 'hot swap' effects. a rearrangement scheme that doesnt require menus or scrolling numbers. like wavelab in fact! i wish all hosts had insert rearrangement like wavelab.

how about a set of meta knobs capable of being tied to any parameter in the current project?

i cant wait till some arrangment features are added like the keymapper. i would love to see that idea expanded upon too.

ok this is turning into my wishlist! :oops:

> DiGiT < wrote:hmm i cant get it to mess up unless i try to delete a synth... then it crashes.
Yes, that's a known bug already reported here.

Fixed in beta 3.
i miss parts that auto repeat when you draw with the pencil tool, like in muzys...
Right-click a part and choose "Loop Length".

Then enter a loop length like for example "1.0" = 1 measure, or "0.2.600" = 2 beats and a half.

Then you'll see loop lines in the part.
Why don't you want that? You want to group faders, right?
i wish for the right click tool selection as well.
Yes, i'm missing that very much too :?

But i don't want to break THE right-click rule:

Right-click a thing gives you more options about the thing.

For now, pressing T pops up the mouse tool selector.

But i want to find an easy mouse-only shortcut.

Any ideas?
oooh i know! i wanna drag the inserts up or down with the mouse- sort of 'hot swap' effects. a rearrangement scheme that doesnt require menus or scrolling numbers. like wavelab in fact! i wish all hosts had insert rearrangement like wavelab.
Yeah, i know what you mean.

Thinking... (and working on other basic issues)
how about a set of meta knobs capable of being tied to any parameter in the current project?
I've got a plan for that... but thats' not for 1.0, that's for sure.
i cant wait till some arrangment features are added like the keymapper. i would love to see that idea expanded upon too.

ok this is turning into my wishlist! :oops:

muzycian wrote:
Why don't you want that? You want to group faders, right?
i do want to group channels to busses, but what if i want to group certain faders accross the mix, and not be bound by buss groupings... ? is it possible to see more mixing board channels in the same area used now? could we collapse them somehow, and then allow fader grouping?

> DiGiT < wrote:i do want to group channels to busses, but what if i want to group certain faders accross the mix, and not be bound by buss groupings...
I don't think it's a bad thing; at the contrary: if you want to group strips, collecting them in a common send strip is an easy, elegant and flexible way, imho.

Note that, with beta 3, you can simply select a Send Strip as the output for a mixer strip.

So you don't loose a plug slot, and it's also easier to do :)

Check it out soon.
is it possible to see more mixing board channels in the same area used now? could we collapse them somehow, and then allow fader grouping?
Collapsable mixerstrips is high on the ToDo list!

muzycian wrote:
> DiGiT < wrote:i do want to group channels to busses, but what if i want to group certain faders accross the mix, and not be bound by buss groupings...
I don't think it's a bad thing; at the contrary: if you want to group strips, collecting them in a common send strip is an easy, elegant and flexible way, imho.

Note that, with beta 3, you can simply select a Send Strip as the output for a mixer strip.

So you don't loose a plug slot, and it's also easier to do :)

Check it out soon.
is it possible to see more mixing board channels in the same area used now? could we collapse them somehow, and then allow fader grouping?
Collapsable mixerstrips are high on the ToDo list!

Hi Jo,
I think I've found a bug.
It seems to be reproducable; try this.

Start with an empty composition
Draw a sequence block from bar 2 to bar 7
Edit the sequence and draw in some random notes between bars 2 and 7.
Leave the sequence editor to go back to the main composition window.
Assign a synth to the sequence.
Play the sequence; it will be OK.

Now edit the sequence.
Two problems:

1. You'll find that you can't poistion the time bar past bar 6
2. When you play the sequence, it plays until it reaches bar 6 then stops playing and the time bar disappears!

Back in the composition window, stretch the sequnce by one bar until it reaches bar 8.
Now go back to the sequence editor and play the tune
It will now play up to bar 7 and then go wrong.

So it looks like in the sequencer window, the play function stops playing one bar too early.

Paul.

No, it's like this:

The sequence goes from bar 2 to 7, that is 5 bars.
The sequence editor shows the relative time within the sequence, starting from bar 1
So the sequence plays from bar 1 to bar 6, sequence time!

Return to “MUTOOLS”