Aftertouch / channel pressure messages?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just a little question:

as I can see, in MuLab it's possible to automate any CC controller, as well as PitchBend and Aftertouch messages (with standard step values or with dedicated curves).

So... what about the latter? Generally there are two types of aftertouch - monophonic (AKA "channel pressure") and polyphonic. What kind actually is the aftertouch available here?

Why am I asking? I plan to use a number of VST's that actually recognise only monophonic one (e.g. SaxLab). Will the included aftertouch automation work for such one?

It's channel AT. For poly AT you cannot really do it in just one lane - you need to have a lane per note.

Thanks. Sounds logical.

I know it's old, but still relevant: event parameters for polyphonic note sequences are already possible to set in just one lane in MuLab, actually: velocity values can be separately (albeit awkwardly) set independently for each simultaneous note. Shouldn't it work the same for other MIDI messages, too?

So, for velocity, you're using one "lane" (the main area) for the note number of the event and one lane (below) for the velocity value of the event. Poly-pressure isn't part of the note event, so that's two more lanes - one for the poly-pressure note and one for the value. It doesn't work like a controller message, though, so it shouldn't display like them (with one lane per "control" - being the note - showing the value).

That is, most MIDI event messages don't pass note numbers, so "working the same for other MIDI messages" isn't really a meaningful phrase - each message works differently. The "per-lane" format for the non-note related messages works, but Note on/off and Poly-pressure work differently.

The Event List view is the best place to work on events in a consistent manner.

https://www.midi.org/specifications-old ... di-message

Return to “MUTOOLS”