Introducing MuT8: a multi-effect MUX

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I have now completed my first version of my multi effect MUX patch, called MuT8 (as it mutates a sound and it's also a homage to the upcoming MuLab 8 :) ).

I attach the patch. (I haven't uploaded a MUX patch before, but hope it can be tried out.)

I also made a movie on it, where I mutate a simple piano note to, well, to something else: https://youtu.be/dh_oT0IfdCM

The object of this patch is not to just add every effect that sounds cool, but to create something that might be useful when trying to make a sound more interesting. I got the idea from similar products (like SoundSpot's Nebula), but this is much more powerful, thanks to the underlying MUX presets and modules.

I also tried to make a nice help file. :)

For the lazy ones :lol: here's the text from the file:
MuT8 is a creative multi effect unit built using MuLab/MUX.

As the name suggests, MuT8 was designed especially for sound-shaping. This is why the effects chain is a bit unconventional; first come selected sound-shaping effects and some special effects, then, when the actual sound has been perfected, an LFO, a delay, a second LFO, a reverb, and filters.

It was designed with ease of use in mind. Therefore, most features are only found under the hood, so click an effect’s name to find more controls. Note that both visible and invisible controls can be automated using sub-automation tracks.

It’s also possible to rearrange the effects chain, by entering the modular view and simply drag the cables in an order of your choice.

MuT8 was built as a tribute to MuLab/MUX, and especially for the launch of MuLab 8.

Happy sound-mutating! /Petter
I'd really, really like to hear some impressions, regarding improved knob settings, routing, type of instruments/voices/music styles this can be useful for, or whatever comes to mind.

/Petter
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

...and here's the MUX itself.... :)
MuT8.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Go MuLab!

Hey Sparky, havent had chance to play with it yet but noticed a typo, unless it was intentional,
you spelt distortion with an 's'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Thanks (it's with an s in Swedish).

BTW, I 'm thinking of updating the patch with the new resonator and also a shimmer effect for the reverb. Just need to find a good place for them (I want the plugin to have a small footprint)...

This is what it looks like at the moment:
file.png
Go MuLab!

Looks cool. I've downloaded it several times but it just won't load, keeps saying "Cannot load preset file."
Not sure what's up. Anyone else having this issue?
"Music is directly tied to the technology of a culture."
"Modular gear is the craft beer of music."

I know its obvious but have you unzipped it first ?
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Thanks for trying to look at it.

As soon as I find the time, I will add the resonator as well, probably after the distortion.

Then I think it's completed; that is, I aim to keep this as a true sound design tool rather than adding compression etc.

I have been using this MUX on just about every track (including two of the MuDrum included racks) in my new song. It really came as a surprise to me, but what I found was that to me at least, it's much nicer to just click around and try things (and then do some tweaking by clicking the headings) than to think: "hmmm first I'd like a flanger... no... perhaps a chorus then... no perhaps a phaser... yeah that's it.... now how 'bout a delay... let' see which one sounds the most sensible..." so it both speeded up my workflow and let me stay on top while creativity stroke. In addition, I think I have never been exploring and tweaking the sounds as much as I've done now. :tu:

Once again, this is maybe not a tool for everyone (especially not for people who know exactly what they want and how to get there) but to me, it's honestly been a blessing.

As with all MuTools stuff, it's seriously easy on the CPU, despite wrapping so many controls. Plus, it looks really cool when all the volume indicators are lit at different levels. :)
Go MuLab!

By the way, in case you're interested, all fx on the track below (except for the SampleTank piano reverb) are from MuT8, ...that is, from MuTools' factory MUXes, but you get what I mean... :wink: (Well, actually I have tweaked their settings to suit the MuT8 well, so I have done SOME work also with the inherited MUXes).

You can hear the fx especially on the phaser on one of the three basses in the beginning and on the filter on the 909 snare. All synths except for the piano are MuLab factory presets.

...and don't forget to view the help file. :wink:

https://soundcloud.com/user-221496479/m ... strumental
Go MuLab!

bibz1st wrote:I know its obvious but have you unzipped it first ?
Yup I'm using Mu 7.2.8 so maybe there's something in this MUX which isn't compatible with my version.
Last edited by sdv on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loads fine here too. What MuLab / MUX version are u using sdv? Which platform?

mutools wrote:Loads fine here too. What MuLab / MUX version are u using sdv? Which platform?
MULab v7.2.8 on Win 7.

Tip: Update to M7.6 and try again.

SparkySpark wrote:Thanks (it's with an s in Swedish).

BTW, I 'm thinking of updating the patch with the new resonator and also a shimmer effect for the reverb. Just need to find a good place for them (I want the plugin to have a small footprint)...

This is what it looks like at the moment:
file.png

What a great color scheme!
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: What a great color scheme!
Thank you kindly! :) I have done quite a lot of work to make things look the way I want to (including using the same color scheme and layout for the child MUXes), so I'm glad you like it.

I attach a screenshot of how it looks now. Today it also has the resonator and the shimmer effect for the reverb (I called it Prescence), and also a few limiters, as the resonator can go crazy wild. All in all, I'm very happy with it. For me, having access to this assortment of MUXes in one window breathes new life into my music (because it makes me experiment so much more), so thanks Jo for making this possible! :tu:
MuT8_2018.jpg
Go MuLab!

By the way, here's a screen shot of some parts of the modular area and a few child MUXes. It's so cool that every control in every child MUX can be automated! I love modular environments!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
MuT8_2018_Modular_area.jpg
Go MuLab!

Return to “MUTOOLS”