How do I sidechain a BD in MuLab?

Official support for: mutools.com
SparkySpark
KVRian
1329 posts since 30 Aug, 2004 from Skövde, Sweden

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:14 am

Hi,

I'm trying to achieve some bassdrum pumping (à la Daft Punk's One More time). I understand the basic concepts of sidechaining to do this, but how do I do it using the MuDrum?

I have a MuDrum track with the 909 kit. What I want is to insert a compressor somewhere and then route the bass and trance synth (at least) to the compressor to pump accorind to the bassdrum hits.

I haven't done this before elsewhere, but am also confused how to do this in MuLab - do I need to have the drum kit samples on their different tracks or can they stay within the drum kit track?

Thanks!

Petter
Making music is a nine-to-five job:
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark
KVRian

Re: How do I sidechain a BD in MuLab?

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:37 am

On a related note, I wonder one thing about the MuDrum.

In MuDrum's main window, I can use the racks for Main and for "rack 2", called Reverb in the 909 kit. If I drag a cable to rack 3 and assign an effect to it, the sound gets through, but the effect does not kick in. So it works, it's just that the effect rack is bypassed. I'm not sure why or how this is or what to do about it.

They are all set to Output 1.
MuDrum.JPG
In the example above, the Vintage Echo effect cannot be heard (so the cymbal crash sounds as if there were no effect).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

mutools
KVRAF
9583 posts since 24 Jun, 2008 from Europe

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:37 am

SparkySpark wrote:Hi,
I'm trying to achieve some bassdrum pumping (à la Daft Punk's One More time). I understand the basic concepts of sidechaining to do this, but how do I do it using the MuDrum?
Here is an example:
http://www.mutools.com/mulab/projects/e ... ession.zip

mutools
KVRAF
9583 posts since 24 Jun, 2008 from Europe

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:39 am

SparkySpark wrote:On a related note, I wonder one thing about the MuDrum.

In MuDrum's main window, I can use the racks for Main and for "rack 2", called Reverb in the 909 kit. If I drag a cable to rack 3 and assign an effect to it, the sound gets through, but the effect does not kick in. So it works, it's just that the effect rack is bypassed. I'm not sure why or how this is or what to do about it.

They are all set to Output 1.
MuDrum.JPG
In the example above, the Vintage Echo effect cannot be heard (so the cymbal crash sounds as if there were no effect).
That rack is switched off, see the on/off LED of that rack.

SparkySpark
KVRian

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:03 pm

My mind must have gone into an early vacationstate! Stupid of me not to see this!

I guess the reason for having it turned off by default is performance (?).

Thanks!
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark
KVRian

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:05 pm

mutools wrote:
SparkySpark wrote:Hi,
Here is an example:
http://www.mutools.com/mulab/projects/e ... ession.zip
Thanks for the example. Will check it out tomorrow. :tu:
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark
KVRian

Post Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:14 pm

I've tried replicating the sidechain compression example but do not succeed. I have my MuDrum rack and add a send to my trancaction rack. After the tracaction synth I put the level compressor using the same settings as in the example. However there is no difference in sound.

The only thing missing is an audio cable in modular view from MuDrum to the trancaction rack, but it doesn't allow for an audio-in cable. Is this what's missing, and if so, how do I get an audio-in to it?

Thanks!
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

pljones
KVRAF
6331 posts since 8 Feb, 2003 from London, UK

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:50 am

Stick the synth directly into a modular area. Does it have an audio in?

If you add a rack to a modular area, you'll see that by default it has an audio in. However, if you put a module without an audio in into its first slot, the rack's audio in is removed (as it would be unusable).

SparkySpark
KVRian

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:39 am

Thanks! Admittedly somewhat strange behaviour. I just realized this is not the correct approach anyway as it doesn't sidechain.

Thanks again and happy new year.
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

Return to “MUTOOLS”