Mulab 64 bit/JackRouter 64 bit/Windows 10 64 bit

Official support for: mutools.com
janflorijn
KVRer
8 posts since 11 Jul, 2013

Post Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:04 am

Hi all,

After a crash from my computer I needed to reinstall windows.

I use dual boot. For Mulab and the relating things I have a separate partition.

First i installed with all available updates including the fall creators update. Now only the setup dvd without any update.

I use 64 bit JRE.

I checked security/ownerships etc. from Mulab.

I both cases everything works except MuLab. Mulab does not coorporate with JackRouter. After enabling the JackRouter, Mulab crashes. I tried REAPER, but this works fine with JackRouter.

For Jack i registred 64bit JackRouter.dll with regsvr32.

For Jackd is have the commandline: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack\jackd.exe" -R -S -d portaudio -r48000 -d "ASIO::Creative ASIO"

From the log files from windows:

Naam van toepassing met fout: MuLab.exe, versie: 0.0.0.0, tijdstempel: 0x59d37686
Naam van module met fout: ntdll.dll, versie: 10.0.10240.16430, tijdstempel: 0x55c59f92
Uitzonderingscode: 0xc0000026
Foutmarge: 0x0000000000092ed0
Id van proces met fout: 0x1474
Starttijd van toepassing met fout: 0x01d3a658d01b5b58
Pad naar toepassing met fout: C:\Applications\MuLab (64 bit)\MuLab.exe
Pad naar module met fout: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Rapport-id: c9603617-1e45-46b7-a0cb-5f9814bcfec1
Volledige pakketnaam met fout:
Relatieve toepassings-id van pakket met fout:

What am i doing wrong?

Kind regards,

JanFlorijn

dakkra
KVRian
864 posts since 4 Oct, 2012 from Utah

Re: Mulab 64 bit/JackRouter 64 bit/Windows 10 64 bit

Post Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:32 am

Before you start the Jack audio server make sure Mulab is not trying to connect to your ASIO device. Jack may be interrupting the connections and thus crashes Mulab. Mulabs audio engine does not "adapt" or work "dynamically" meaning you have to work in the Audio Setup panel if you want Mulab to change ASIO drivers. This also means that Mulab will use whatever configuration you last had it using on it's startup. Meaning: if you were using Mulab with ASIO driver before you closed it, it will try to connect to the ASIO driver on the next startup, even if Jack holds the connection.

I have little experience with jack (except for on linux, but that was a year or so back). I'm not certain that this is the issue, but it certainly may be. Make Mulab use an empty driver or turn off the audio engine. Then start your Jack audio server as per your needs. Then start Mulab, enter the audio setup, and select the JackRouter ASIO driver.

CFR: http://jackaudio.org/faq/jack_on_windows.html

Hope this helps,

Dakkra

pljones
KVRAF
6331 posts since 8 Feb, 2003 from London, UK

Post Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:03 am

I also had been using MuLab with JACK for certain things (not generally needed, so I usually avoid the added complexity). I don't know when it started crashing but it's more recently than I needed to switch to ASIO4All, I think. And yes, I have a script that starts everything up in the right order, making sure JACK is up and alive before trying to start MuLab and starting MuLab with an Audio setup specific to using JACK.

I only noticed this yesterday -- I'd been meaning to do some more digging but now someone else has had the same problem I guess I may as well "+1" :).

At some point I'll install previous builds until I find a working one and report that - won't be until the weekend, most likely.

janflorijn
KVRer
8 posts since 11 Jul, 2013

Post Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:04 pm

Hi all,

In my case I have found the solution.

I placed a MuLab project on my Desktop and assigned this "open with..." to Mulab in C:\Applications\Mulab\. That is not correct. The project must also stay in a not protected directory. I have a shortcut on the Desktop pointing to Mulab.exe and the project.

At this moment much problems with Windows 10 have to do with "Safety" and "access rights".

Regarding the post of pljones: changing to ASIO4ALL must have a change in qJackctl in the options and in the Shortcut from Jackd.

Kind regards,

JanFlorijn

pljones
KVRAF

Post Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:34 pm

No, changing MuLab's Audio set up does not require any changes to JACK. I don't run JACK with ASIO4All, it doesn't need it.

pljones
KVRAF

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Works:
mulab-7-3-2-win64
mulab-7-3-2-win64 + mulab-7-3-12-win64-exe

Crashes:
mulab-7-3-2-win64 + mulab-7-3-14-win64-exe
mulab-7-4-6-win64

OK, I was wrong earlier -- this is the same point at which MuLab stopped working with my Echo AudioFire4 ASIO driver and I had to switch to ASIO4All. I hadn't realised it was quite that long ago.

If I can get JackRouter compiling on Windows10, I may be able to do something about finding out what's causing the crash. I may even be able to fix it...

mutools
KVRAF
9582 posts since 24 Jun, 2008 from Europe

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:38 pm

pljones wrote:this is the same point at which MuLab stopped working with my Echo AudioFire4 ASIO driver and I had to switch to ASIO4All. I hadn't realised it was quite that long ago.
FYI: It was when i switched my dev setup to VS2015. As we (you and me) analyzed it at that time, the biggest suspicion was that the Echo ASIO driver was out of date for some unknown reason, iirc. The Echo Team also seemed to have it abandoned, iirc 2.

pljones
KVRAF

Post Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:13 am

Yes -- this is a separate ASIO driver, however: JackRouter. JackRouter is open source, so I may be able to engineer it to report on what's happening before MuLab crashes and compare between the two builds of MuLab. Of course, with any luck, if I get it compiled with VS2017, it may "just work"...

---- edit ----
Well, it didn't "just work". But at least I've got JackRouter compiling so I can try to get some logging in to see what happens.

pljones
KVRAF

Post Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:44 am

So far, no good. When I run with logging, on a normal run JackRouter gets created, runs and shuts down as expected, whereas on a run that crashes, JackRouter doesn't even log its creation. The crash appears to be happening whilst in libjack64 (which I've not recompiled, so no debugging), when it's making an OS call - which could possibly be JackRouter trying to log a message... I'm now trying to get libjack compiling with VS2017 (it's not designed to work that way - I'll have to convert the Code::Blocks projects).

Return to “MUTOOLS”