Routing/recording several external midi inputs onto separate channels in mulab ?

Official support for: mutools.com
louis2704
KVRer
4 posts since 25 Feb, 2018

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:12 am

Hello everyone :)

After 3hours or reading and searshing, so far I'm stuck with this so sorry to ask..but I need help :/

I have a midi box with 4 inputs and 4 outputs ;

I need to record the incoming midi data (from 4 external midi generators) into mulab ;
but the problem is, I need to record the 4 inputs at the same time, on 4 differents tracks ; their is no other way ;

I tryied but the midi inputs doesn't show in the MUX modular ; so I can't patch them ;

I can record 1 signal or the 4 signals on the same tracks but that's not what I wan't ;

So far I've not found a way to patch my several inputs to specific tracks :(

It would be awesome if someone has a solution because a student of mine bought mulab to do this, specifically, and I can't see a way to record the 4 midi inputs separately at the same time :/

Cheers from France, thanks a lot in advance for your reply :)

Louis

pljones
KVRAF
6331 posts since 8 Feb, 2003 from London, UK

Re: Routing/recording several external midi inputs onto separate channels in mulab ?

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:05 am

OK... The best place to start is to take a look at Project -> Edit MIDI Input Channel Targets. This shows your current settings for how MuLab treats incoming MIDI events.

First, you'll see no mention of hardware here - all hardware ins have been merged.

Next, two columns - "Target Module" and "Target Channel" - tell you what MuLab will do with events on a specific incoming channel, as shown per row.

The defaults are Focused Module and Focused Channel.

So, what does "Focus" here mean? Just before answering that, it's worth mentioning that above Edit MIDI Input Channel Targets on the Project menu you'll have seen Automatic MIDI Input Focus. If that's ticked, focus will move as you work on different parts of your project. So, any channel set to "Focused Module" will send events to that focused module.

Right. Set up two tracks with synths on. Make sure Automatic MIDI Input Focus is on. Make sure all your MIDI Input Channel Targets are set to Focused Module and Focused Channel. Like this, you have to manually focus on the track to get events to that track. Not what you're after.

Next, back into Edit MIDI Input Channel Targets. This time pick the channel you want to use for each of the two synths and set the Channel Target to the appropriate synth's Rack. You can leave Automatic MIDI Input Focus is on - focus on the Master Rack and you'll find now that the routed channels still play the synths you selected.

One more point - the Focused Channel... I've not needed to worry about this but if your target synth is set up to expect a particular channel map (i.e. you have external input channels 4, 5, 6 all going to the same rack but the synth expects channels 1, 2, 3), this is where you can do that. Otherwise, you'll get channel 1 by default (you can change this by right-clicking the Track header and using Choose Channel; you can have a channel per part or even per event, if you need to).

OK, so now when you record your MIDI Input, each Track targeting the Racks you routed your events to will record those events. (Reminder: one rack can have several tracks targeting it. Tracks are what holds parts/sequences/events; racks are what holds instruments and effects.)

louis2704
KVRer

Re: Routing/recording several external midi inputs onto separate channels in mulab ?

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:53 am

Thanks a lot I will try this right now :)

louis2704
KVRer

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:28 pm

I'm truly sorry to bother you again, but I'm not sure we understood each other ; I have 4 differents midi inputs, with 4 midi cables, going through a midi interface (named midisport A, midisportB, C and D) but it's 4differents inputs (and, one a side note, all are on midi channel 1) ;

So far I don't see how to connect each of the midi inputs to 4 differents tracks ; I think that the use of the word "channel" confuses me because it also mean midi channel ; and in mulab the word channel also mean other things ;

Anyway, nowhere I found a place where I can map each of the specific midi inputs (midisport A, B C, and D) to each of the synth('s) event inputs ;

I did all of this several time and understood correctly the differents menu, but something must be wrong ;

mutools
KVRAF
9582 posts since 24 Jun, 2008 from Europe

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:52 pm

Note that MuLab only supports 1 effective MIDI input port. MuLab does support up to 8 MIDI input ports but they're all merged to 1 effective port before the MIDI data goes into MuLab. So you can use up to 16 different MIDI channels for your MIDI input. By default these go to the focused track module, but you can control that behaviour with Project menu -> Edit MIDI Input Channel Targets.

Also see https://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mulab/main-menu.html
especially the info on "Toggle Automatic/Manual MIDI Input Focus " and "Edit MIDI Input Channel Targets"

pljones
KVRAF

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:12 pm

louis2704 wrote:I'm truly sorry to bother you again, but I'm not sure we understood each other ; I have 4 differents midi inputs, with 4 midi cables, going through a midi interface (named midisport A, midisportB, C and D) but it's 4differents inputs (and, one a side note, all are on midi channel 1) ;

So far I don't see how to connect each of the midi inputs to 4 differents tracks ; I think that the use of the word "channel" confuses me because it also mean midi channel ; and in mulab the word channel also mean other things ;

Anyway, nowhere I found a place where I can map each of the specific midi inputs (midisport A, B C, and D) to each of the synth('s) event inputs ;

I did all of this several time and understood correctly the differents menu, but something must be wrong ;
Like I said:
pljones wrote:OK... The best place to start is to take a look at Project -> Edit MIDI Input Channel Targets. This shows your current settings for how MuLab treats incoming MIDI events.

First, you'll see no mention of hardware here - all hardware ins have been merged.
A standard MIDI merge has taken place. If you're only sending on Channel 1, you're saying everything is going the same way. You need to set your event sources to separate channels so that they look like separate sources.

louis2704
KVRer

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:04 am

Ok, thank you both of you but long story short, it's not possible ;

I just can't send the 4inputs on differents midi channel ;

I don't understand why everything is merged into 1channel but that's just how it is ;

We will do our midi recording with another daw and maybe transfer them into mulab after that ;

Cheers :)

mutools
KVRAF
9582 posts since 24 Jun, 2008 from Europe

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:13 am

Are you using more than 16 different MIDI input channels?
If not than just set all your keyboards/controllers to a separate MIDI channel, that works fine.
The fact that these different MIDI channels come from a different port is not important.
MuLab supports up to 8 MIDI input ports.

pljones
KVRAF

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:58 am

I understand adding Port to the event object and allowing routing of events by Port wouldn't be a particularly easy thing to do (nor necessarily desirable - it doesn't really make sense).

However, would it be possible to have an "override channel" in the MIDI Setup? (Both in and out would be good.) That way incoming Port 1 could have all its events assigned Channel 1, Port 2 say to Channel 4, etc, however was needed (and similarly when sent out). Something like "Source Channel" (or "Target") or 1 to 16. (As there's generally a work around in setting the hardware up right, this isn't likely to be a priority for most users.)

jazzdoktorn
KVRist
94 posts since 23 Apr, 2008

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:00 am

This has been an issue for me to.
To have every MIDI input available for routing would be great.
Some of my gear is old and is a pain in the ass to change MIDI channels on them.
Others are modded with MIDI kits that have their channels set by SYSEX.
No Analog jams for me. :D
Well, as i understand, its not possible to do and i am a little bid sad over that.
But i must say that Pljones suggestion is a great idea if its possible:

"However, would it be possible to have an "override channel" in the MIDI Setup? (Both in and out would be good.) That way incoming Port 1 could have all its events assigned Channel 1, Port 2 say to Channel 4, etc, however was needed (and similarly when sent out). Something like "Source Channel" (or "Target") or 1 to 16. (As there's generally a work around in setting the hardware up right, this isn't likely to be a priority for most users.)".

I want to take the oppertunity to say thanks to JO for a great DAW.

Return to “MUTOOLS”