PLEASE HELP MuLab 7.7.4 for Mac not Opening because its Damaged or Incomplete?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:help: I haven't been able to find an answer to this... anywhere.
But I love MuLab, and I just bought a 2009 iMac running on 10.13.3 High Sierra.
The app has your typical cancel sign on the desktop icon. And through hours of fruitless searching in order to remedy the situation, Im putting my trust in this forum. I've used the Quarantine Remover on the entire MuLab folder to no avail. Tried starting with Admin, uninstalled, re-installed, and I just wont have it anymore.

I'm able to open it with Terminal but it begins distorting any audio output from digital instruments OR stuff i record through my interface after a few seconds.. So I'm convinced it may actually be broken, and that it's not just a "security permissions" thing.I've tested a legacy version. which worked perfectly audio-wise, despite the DAW looking quite unfinished.. I digress.

I'm desperate to start producing again. And I really don't want to have to buy and learn another DAW.
Last edited by Lardzard on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

What was the full filename of the file you downloaded?

pljones wrote:What was the full filename of the file you downloaded?
it was the osx zip file from the mutools download tab

mulab-7-7-4-osx64.zip

Did you double-click the .zip to extract the MuLab folder and put the MuLab folder in your Applications folder and then R-click Open MuLab.app and authorize?
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote:Did you double-click the .zip to extract the MuLab folder and put the MuLab folder in your Applications folder and then R-click Open MuLab.app and authorize?
yes Im prompted with the same message as I get when I try opening it regularly
"You cant open the application "MuLab" Because it may be damaged or incomplete."

Ahh. That error message is the key. Google-fu shows this is an issue with old Mac cache files, not MuLab (many apps can be affected).
This method seems to work for a lot of people:
https://techwiser.com/fixed-macos-error ... ncomplete/

BTW, an old Mac with a new OS often has leftover System files that cause problems (e.g. kernel extensions with no executables), so consider running Etre Check. It's a reputable utility: Apple Support Communities often require Etre Check for bug reports, and it's free for the first 5 cleanups. https://etrecheck.com
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote:Ahh. That error message is the key. Google-fu shows this is an issue with old Mac cache files, not MuLab (many apps can be affected).
This method seems to work for a lot of people:
https://techwiser.com/fixed-macos-error ... ncomplete/

BTW, an old Mac with a new OS often has leftover System files that cause problems (e.g. kernel extensions with no executables), so consider running Etre Check. It's a reputable utility: Apple Support Communities often require Etre Check for bug reports, and it's free for the first 5 cleanups. https://etrecheck.com
Thanks Micheal, Ill check those out and report back with the findings.

Lardzard wrote:Thanks Micheal, I'll check those out and report back with the findings.
I will be happy to hear about your success opening MuLab!

[ If you were not able to solve your "old Mac/new OSX" compatibility issues, then Apple Support Communities is the place to find people experienced with your system problems: https://discussions.apple.com/welcome ]
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote:
Lardzard wrote:Thanks Micheal, I'll check those out and report back with the findings.
I will be happy to hear about your success opening MuLab!

[ If you were not able to solve your "old Mac/new OSX" compatibility issues, then Apple Support Communities is the place to find people experienced with your system problems: https://discussions.apple.com/welcome ]
I've always been able to open MuLab using the Terminal, (which is still frustrating)
the problem I have is that I cant record via my interface (Behringer UMC202HD)
without the playback deteriorating in the form of gradual bit-reduction into unrecognisable digital mess. I thought that maybe I could fix the issue by fixing the reason the app was damaged or broken. (which hasn't worked, despite my efforts.) But it seems to be struggling with my interface, when in the past it hasn't been a problem. Playback out of my computer speakers is clean and doesn't bit-reduce so I concluded that its not only a problem between Mulab and the mac, but also a potential problem between Mulab and/or my mac, and my interface.

All smiles haha.

Check that your interface buffer size is not too low, you are not recording at a too-high sample rate (either can cause your audio probs), your interface driver has been updated using the correct procedures, you are not running other CPU-intensive programs at the same time, RAM is maxed, etc. 2017 OSX requires more CPU than 2009 OSX so you may need to switch off some OS features; plus your $60 interface may have no onboard memory and relies entirely on your computer; so use the "Activity Monitor" to monitor system CPU use. Maintaining an old Mac is like tinkering with an old car -- enjoy the process!
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote:Check that your interface buffer size is not too low, you are not recording at a too-high sample rate (either can cause your audio probs), your interface driver has been updated using the correct procedures, your $60 interface may have no onboard memory and relies entirely on your computer.
I installed OS X El Capitan back onto the system and that FIXED the opening issue.
however the sound degradation issue between my interface and iMac is still there... how do you check those initial things in the Mulab software, Ive dug through the in app preferences menu searching with keywords, and It looks as though the option to edit values like that don't even exist. The thing about the drivers is.. They don't exist either.

I guess what you'd say at this point, is that I should look into a better interface.. But that's just another 200 bux I don't have laying around. I mean, I know I'll have to do it at some stage. But, just when I was content?
like, come on.

Good to hear that backing up a couple of OS versions fixed the opening issue!
Lardzard wrote:Playback out of my computer speakers is clean
That's also good! So process of elimination: how do your audio files sound when you play them through your interface and monitors, but using just an audio player like QuickTime or RealPlayer?
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Return to “MUTOOLS”