Question re the factory compressor

Official support for: mutools.com
SparkySpark
KVRian
1305 posts since 30 Aug, 2004 from Skövde, Sweden

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:30 am

Hi,
I asked a question regarding settings of the factory preset compressor in the Getting Started forum, specifically about vocals sidechaining.

Could someone perhaps elaborate on the replies? It seems the question was not as generic as I thought.

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=507268

Many thanks to anyone taking their time!
Making music is a nine-to-five job:
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

Jimp_music
KVRer
24 posts since 21 Nov, 2017

Re: Question re the factory compressor

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:31 pm

basically what u wonna do is, increase the compresson (0 to inifty for hard ducking, other wise make it lower) decrease the threshold, keep the attack like 1/4 keep the release as it is, make a new empty rack, put the compresson on it, make ur vocal rack and the intrument rack u want to duck send to the compressor rack(from audio output 1 or 2 to Compressor Sidechain rack) and then for sidechain, increase the sidechain gain a bit, and go on the filter and make the curve that suits u best.

That will give u 100% ducking effect. Now for partial ducking effect, instead of sensing audio output 1+2 or 1 or 2, just in the effects bar of ur rack, send both the instrument and vocal rack to the compressor rack, make the original rack gain reduced by 15%, and there ya go, yoy should have a partial ducking effect.
:arrow: :phones:

Jimp_music
KVRer

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:39 pm

For like better aka voice chats or video assistance, feel free to join this discord server

https://discord.gg/XJk6tvm

its Mulab community server

SparkySpark
KVRian

Post Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:59 am

Thanks for helping me. I have now continued investigating this matter and am putting together a video on how to use it. It is very cool actually. :)

Thanks again!
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

Jimp_music
KVRer

Post Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:06 pm

iz all good! A little note tho, the compressor tends to also decrease the overall stereo image of a song and like make it sound widened every time the kick hits, so i highly suggest you use a pametric eq just to retain that little bit of stereo image by having the equilization more suble. Also adding one too many racks tends to make the compressor kill the small , less potent instruements so high pass or high shelve then to keep em in the flow.

SparkySpark
KVRian

Post Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:37 am

Thanks for the tip!
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

Return to “MUTOOLS”