.muproject files corrupting

Official support for: mutools.com
scarequote
KVRer
2 posts since 19 Mar, 2018

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:26 am

I've had a recurrent issue with my projects getting corrupted, this time I spent a real long time on a song and it looks like all of my work is lost - if anyone can help out with this I'd be so grateful!

When I open this project I get a message saying that MuLab "Can't open Vocal Rack Recorder-20180809-145838", so I click OK and the same message appears again, I press OK and it appears again, I click OK and I get the same error message for the vocal take I started 30 seconds later... you see where this is going - I have to press OK for the same error message, three times, for every single vocal take I recorded on that project, the vast majority of which were discarded immediately.

If I hold down the enter key and skip through all of these, eventually I start to get error messages saying that my VSTs could not be loaded, e.g. "Couldn't create VST instance for Molot", and more vaguely "Couldn't create some modules". I haven't deleted or modified any VST files since I last opened the project, and I haven't touched the samples either.

At this point the project loads but there is still an error message reading "Can't open Vocal Rack Recorder-[etc]" and I still have to cycle through all of these, but at some point I hit a wall and there's one that can't be removed. In this case it reads "Can't open Vocal Rack Recorder-20180809-145710.Aiff" and there are three copies of it which I can't close (difference being the file extension is given, otherwise same error message).

When my project loads the MIDI tracks are there and most of the MuLab modules seem to work, except the modules with samples (MuDrum and Vibraphone). With these, it looks like my settings have been retained, even the sample filenames, but the samples themselves are gone. I am unable to browse any factory presets or sample files in this project; in fact if I try to use the browser I can't access anything other than the standard MUX devices (no presets), and if I try to browse for anything else the browser cannot access my hard drive (I just get an empty drop-down under "Volumes"). There are some other weird errors too, eg the minimise button on module windows is just an empty dark yellow box where there's usually an arrow. Also, in the toolbar at the bottom of the GUI with minimised windows, there are three tabs for "MuLab" which don't do anything.

I'm currently using a MacBook Pro but I've had a similar issue while I ran MuLab for a brief period on PC.When I was transferring the projects I'd started from PC to Mac, I got this issue with most of my projects (but thought it understandable if the projects were incompatible across OSTs - besides, the projects originally used VSTs which were not compatible with Mac). However when I checked the original projects on the PC the files were similarly corrupted and unusable. I never worked on the project I discussed above on the PC, it was created on Mac.

I'd been enjoying using MuLab but I've experienced too many bugs to continue - it was fun while it lasted and it helped me learn a lot but it looks like I'm going to have to look for another DAW :(

EDIT: NB I'm using MuLab UL 7.7.4 64 bit

mutools
KVRAF
9543 posts since 24 Jun, 2008 from Europe

Re: .muproject files corrupting

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:17 pm

When you run MuLab on different computers and you transfer MuProjects make sure you have the same VSTs on both systems otherwise you will indeed get an alert box saying some VST can't be find.

Similar for audio files. They have to be on the same file location, else you will get an alert that the audio file cannot be found and you have the option to locate it.
I'd been enjoying using MuLab but I've experienced too many bugs to continue
MuLab 7.7.4 is pretty stable.
Which bugs do you mean?
Please describe them in full detail, preferably with a step by step how to repeat them.

scarequote
KVRer
2 posts since 19 Mar, 2018

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:01 pm

Hey thanks for getting back to me!

I've checked my backup file for the one I was on about and luckily it's fine, but it's not the first time the error has occurred. In the past I know that I got the error because I didn't have an equivalent VST file when transferring, but some of the projects worked fine and I just replaced the modules.

This time I don't know what caused it. Plus, when the project loaded I couldn't access any of my file directory from the browser. This also happened a while ago with one of the files I transferred but that time I did check the backup and it was also corrupted.

Well these are my main problems I'm having, I hope none of these are just me being stupid.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one but I've been struggling with the "Delete Unused Audio Samples" function. When I use it I get a message "x files have been deleted" but I check in my file directory and all my outtakes are still there. I have tried getting round this by doing it manually, but then I think I must've deleted a take I'd used so I just restored the takes and gave up... so now I'm filling disk space with unused takes.

I've had issues with importing samples on MuDrum as well. Sometimes if I right click to replace a sample, the sample I load will have changed, but the name won't have changed, and when I try to scroll through other samples in the same folder I just get taken back to the directory from which I took the original sample. It happens inconsistently. Recently I have been getting round this by dragging samples in from the file browser on the main interface.

I've found MIDI controller assignment really difficult to use. For instance if I right click a parameter and click "Map MIDI Controller" I can map to the controller and it works. But if I click Options > Edit MIDI Controller Map in the module, the mapping I just set doesn't appear. It gets difficult if I start mapping multiple parameters to one controller because I can't see what's been assigned. Also I can't save MIDI mapping to user presets.

Sorry if I'm just being a noob with any of these.

mutools
KVRAF
9543 posts since 24 Jun, 2008 from Europe

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:56 am

scarequote wrote:I'm not sure if I'm the only one but I've been struggling with the "Delete Unused Audio Samples" function. When I use it I get a message "x files have been deleted" but I check in my file directory and all my outtakes are still there.
Audio streams and samples are objects in the project memory ie when using that function they're deleted from project RAM.

In fact that's why it is called an "audio stream" and not "audio file" so to differenciate between the RAM project object and the audio file on disk.

Please also see http://mutools.com/info/docs/common/aud ... mples.html
I've found MIDI controller assignment really difficult to use. For instance if I right click a parameter and click "Map MIDI Controller" I can map to the controller and it works. But if I click Options > Edit MIDI Controller Map in the module, the mapping I just set doesn't appear. It gets difficult if I start mapping multiple parameters to one controller because I can't see what's been assigned. Also I can't save MIDI mapping to user presets.
Please see http://mutools.com/info/docs/mux/using- ... llers.html

Return to “MUTOOLS”