VST Initial Delay is not saved in presets?

Official support for: mutools.com
Ksi
KVRer
12 posts since 9 Nov, 2018

Post Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:09 am

I've got a couple MUXes that use VST plugins that cause delay. I saved them as presets but I noticed that upon loading the delay is not compensated correctly, because the VST Initial Delay parameter is set to zero again.

Would it be possible to have presets store this parameter so we can use delay-inducing plugins inside MUXes without worrying about phase issues? :)

Jimp_music
KVRer
26 posts since 21 Nov, 2017

Re: VST Initial Delay is not saved in presets?

Post Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:17 pm

Making a template out of it should work, just save it as a template file in *save as*. Mupresets dont save automation sequences, muclips only save them if made inside the parent sequence and Templates save everything.
:arrow: :phones:

LYTZ
KVRist
163 posts since 26 Feb, 2007

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:40 am

Making a template out of it should work
Why would you want to make song templates out of single Mux files that contain VSTs? This is utterly unpractical and doesn't make any sense.

You want to have the delay value for that specific Mux saved inside that Mux, don't you? :wink:
Mupresets dont save automation sequences
What are yo talking about? He wants the VST latency value set and forget so that he doesn't have to dial in the latency everytime manually again when he uses the Plugin causing latency. He called it "delay", maybe that's why you are confused. Most hosts have automatic PDC. Mulab doesn't, so we have to do this manually with plugins/chains/MUXs that introduce latency to the audiostream. Has nothing to do with automation whatsoever. :D

To OP: Maybe you could try to put the Mux in a Rack and save the rack. Check out if it works then, maybe the value will be saved when a whole rack is saved? I'll try that out later myself as well.

pljones
KVRAF
6331 posts since 8 Feb, 2003 from London, UK

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:40 am

Remember what "initial delay" is for: it's not to correct a module so it doesn't have delay, it's to allow you to introduce delay elsewhere in the modular network to match unavoidable delay in a given module. It simply doesn't make sense to "store" it with the module creating the delay - that module already has delay. If you have three processing paths, one with a VST that has a built in delay and two with no delay, to avoid issues when bringing those three paths together, you need to patch in delay to those other paths.

Ksi
KVRer

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:19 pm

Ok let's clear up some confusion here.

I'm using MUX Modular as a VST inside Reaper. I'm using delay-inducing VST plugins inside the MUXes, and I need it to report their delay to the host, because otherwise the audio that passes through is timed incorrectly in relation to other tracks in the project.

The VST Initial Delay parameter is, AFAIK, the only way for the MUX VST to report the PDC value to the host, and it's not saved with the MUXes that I create, so every time I load up a preset, I get phase issues and offsets in the rendered audio files, which is a problem.

So I'm wondering if I'm missing something here, because it would make sense to store the Initial Delay parameter in the MUX patches, but it's not working here.

mutools
KVRAF
9582 posts since 24 Jun, 2008 from Europe

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:24 pm

The "Initial Delay" that you can set indeed is only saved with the host project, not if you save MUX presets as .MUX file. I do understand that it would be good if that was the case. I've taken note about this wrt MUX 8. Can't promise it will be in MUX 8.0 but it is on the wishlist now.

Ksi
KVRer

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:42 pm

Thank you. I think it's quite essential for us MUX VST users.

mutools
KVRAF
9582 posts since 24 Jun, 2008 from Europe

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:39 pm

I understand.

Return to “MUTOOLS”