M8.3.4 beta

Official support for: mutools.com
mevla
KVRAF
2681 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Post Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:58 am

dakkra wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:30 pm
Perhaps (and I'm just shooting in the dark) a file chooser/dialog to be able to select a text file with the licence key?
Thanks for the reply on the subject and the input.

I totally agree that a 'load license file' option can be useful whatever the OS is. Moreover, file dialogs are the nuts and bolts of software applications, and MUX is already using such.

I use wine-staging and linvst. After reading countless problems and all sorts of workaround by people, I found that linvst is the simplest way IMHO. It's as close as plug and play as it can be. I run Bitwig 2.4.3 Linux, installed using the Bitwig Debian package.

Bitwig Linux does not recognize dll files: true. And this is where the simplicity and 'magic' of linvst comes into play. For each dll a same linvst shared object (.so, the equivalent of .dll) is copied under the plugin's name. Bitwig naturally sees the .so and loads it. In turn the .so will load the VST .dll with the help of wine. For instance:

Code: Select all

-rw-rw-r-- 1 mevla mevla 10912768 Nov 26 05:44  MUX.dll
-rwxr-xr-x 1 mevla mevla    93056 May 27  2019  MUX.so*
The MUX.so is actually linvst.so that was renamed. This is done for every Windows plugin.

Aside from Linux plugins (including all u-he), I run all Melda production plugins (approx. 104 or so), most Rob Papen synths, all Voxengo audio processing, most Tone2 synths, all Sugar Bytes, Synthmaster One and 2, most IK Multimedia, several Image Line synths, many Sonic Charge, all Psychic Modulation and Fathom. Since I do not have any Windows ties, I do not have any previous Windows VST that I must run. It means that when I try a VST demo and it does not run well, I simply drop it, no questions asked. When it runs fine I then consider how useful an addition it can be to create music.

I haven't really tried to run MuLab. I'm OK with Bitwig and trying to know and use it very well, and Harrison Mixbus32C for mixing exported tracks.
Last edited by mevla on Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

mevla
KVRAF

Re: M8.3.4 beta

Post Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:01 am

Bitwig runs fine on Linux since the very beginning of versions 1.x. When I sit to create music., it is to create music. I had enough of software matters and I do not want to 'fiddle' around with finding and trying workarounds and stuff like that: just want to do music. A little of configuration is OK but not too much.

I edited the replies as I do not want to sound 'angry' or to get misplaced interpretations. I describe a technical problem. This said, I appreciate a lot the design and general work done on MUX, as I find it's a very nice synth, fun to use and has a lot of good things going for it.
Last edited by mevla on Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

mevla
KVRAF

Post Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:02 am

In short, a file dialog would be a useful option to load license files.

Removing the capability of typing the license as it was found in MUX v.7 is quite a drastic change which I presume was based on some customer support complaining about difficulties in entering the long license text when these people could have copied/pasted it in MUX 7 already. Since these people do not understand that they can use copy/paste, let's remove the capability of entering characters manually altogether ?

e-crooner
KVRian
500 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:23 am

I don't understand why the key is so incredibly long now.

Return to “MUTOOLS”