High CPU-load of empty MUX 8

Official support for: mutools.com
ortseam
KVRer
12 posts since 11 Jul, 2011

Post Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:30 am

Hi! I use MUX7 as a subhost VST shell for many years. I use it inside Reaper almost at every channel (it can be 30 instances or more). One of it's nice features is an extra-low CPU load. With no any processing but direct in-out connection only, the load of my i5 Intel CPU per one instance is ~0.1%
Today I've tried new MUX8 demo and was disappointed a bit to find that the CPU load raised to ~0.5%. It's rather critical for me since 30 tracks x 0.5% is 15% of additional CPU load.
It would be nice to know is there some serious reason behind that or this is simply some kind of raw product imperfection which could be optimized in future.
Many thanks!

mutools
KVRAF
10274 posts since 24 Jun, 2008 from Europe

Re: High CPU-load of empty MUX 8

Post Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:30 pm

I compared MUX 7 and MUX 8 cpu usage in Reaper and don't see the difference you're reporting.
Which MUX preset did you use to do the test?

ortseam
KVRer

Post Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:29 pm

Thanks for the quick response!

It was some kind of "zero-preset". No modules inside. Just audio input and midi input connected to audio output and midi output.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wmOjk ... q6-KfUyfeA

mutools
KVRAF
10274 posts since 24 Jun, 2008 from Europe

Post Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:19 am

Ok i've stacked 32 M8 instances of your zero-preset patch can indeed see a bit higher cpu usage compared to M7. I've also repeated that test with 32 instances of the more complex "Ensemble" patch and the difference was approx the same, certainly not exponentially higher due to the more complex modular patch. With the 32 "Ensemble" instances M7 = 0.6%, M8 = 1.7%. So it seems to be some fixed little extra cpu usage per instance (in this test 0.034%), not per modular complexity. I constantly try to minimize cpu consumption but sometimes certain choices are necessary. I won't research this specific case further on short term (busy on some other high prio aspect) but will certainly continue to give attention to minimize cpu usage as much as possible. Thanks for reporting this.

ortseam
KVRer

Post Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:30 am

Thanks to you too! I appreciate so much your attention to my posts and your fast response!

Return to “MUTOOLS”