Advice to build a reverse delay

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,
I want to build a reverse delay in mulab, as you know it from the guitar pedals, to create great ambient effects. Does someone has a tip for me, or did I miss something in the modules?
The only restriction: I don't want to use VSTs :-)

many thanks for every comment!

Ok it seems not possible.. perhaps something for the request-for-change-list? A little button on the delay-module, which allows one to play the delayed signal samples backward. Such an effect is nice for every style of ambient music.

• You can modulate the time of delay to get reversal of input.
    eg. Modulating delay time from 0 to 1beat (or 2beats?!… experiment), over the course of a beat, after a beat's wait, will result in reversal of the first beat during the second beat.
  • The ratio of delay time range to duration of modulation effects the playback speed.
    eg. Modulating delay time from 0 to 2beats (?!… experiment), over the course of 1beat, results in 2x playback speed.
  • The available delay modules don't offer wet-only output :(
  • If feedback is introduced, then you get a series of reverse then reversed reversed (forward) delay taps.
Hope that made sense. There's a few interacting parameters to juggle there.

Wow thanks for the explanation. this is very interesting. here is my first try along your descritpion. it needs some finetuning but initially, it works...what do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Another Version with Controls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

That works well.
The critical detail, to replicate the input's pitch to the echo, is to have the LFO speed in correct proportion to the delay time modulation depth.
eg. 0…500ms Delay Time controlled by a 1Hz LFO, 0…1000ms Delay Time controlled by a 2Hz LFO, 0…100ms Delay Time controlled by a 20Hz LFO, etc.
Unfortunately, the knob ranges for the LFO Speed and Delay's Time aren't conducive to being mapped with one macro control.

Use of [Event Input], fed through an [Event Delay], to then trigger an AR and reset the LFO may be an improvement. The Event Delay would offset the echos, if you want the dry to sound first. The AR would amplify the LFO such that it has no amplitude without the envelope.

You could also have multiple trunks and modulate volume, so that the jumps in delay time don't sound as clicks.

thanks for your very good technical support! :)
it's very inspiring.
Delay and LFO should be now in tune. i have added an audiogate after the delay and now let the lfo fade in and out a little bit to avoid clicking.
now i should consider about the fact to grab the wet signal only. So i will experiment with some event-triggers, you mentionied above.

Awesome, that maintains pitch very well.
Glad that my instructions were sensible.
Glad too that i don't have to struggle with the parameter juggling, which you intend to do next. That stuff breaks my brain.

Thanks!
OK here is the final stage.
ReverseDelay4.zip

Return to “MUTOOLS”