MuLab & MUX Plugin 8.6.9

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MuLab 8.6.2 is available in http://www.mutools.com/mulab/beta/

What's changed:
  • Chord Mapper also accepts dropped MuSequence and MIDI files.
  • Export Audio File: When "Create New Part" is on, the new part now is positioned at the rendered range.
  • The "Render Parts As New Sample" function has been streamlined so to always render the looped / selected parts.
  • New "Render Parts As New Audio Part" function which is very similar to "Render Parts As New Sample" but it creates an audio part.
  • When changing the MIDI channel for the focused track, external MIDI did not immediately use the new channel, it first needed a click on the track. Fixed.
  • When using per part MIDI channels, clicking such parts was not reflected when playing MIDI input. Fixed.
How to update MuLab:
Windows: Replace the current MuLab.exe and MuLab.ID by the new versions.
MacOS: Replace the current MuLab.app by the new version.

mutools wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:28 am
  • Chord Mapper also accepts dropped MuSequence and MIDI files.
This is the Note Mapper, right? Drag dropping a MuSequence anywhere on the Note Mapper doesn't actually work (mouse pointer shows 'not allowed' symbol). I tried drag dropping from Mulab's browser as well as from the Compose Area.

Exporting the same sequence to a Midi File and drag dropping that Midi File does work, but there is a small quirk: drag dropping the Midi File outside the top (input) keyboard (left and right) is apparently allowed and it looks like it has a virtual extended range. For example, drag drop a Midi File approximately at the location of the red arrow as seen in this picture:
NoteMapperQuirk1.png

The midi chord will be assigned to C#5 in Full range mode, which is evidence that it is virtually extended, like in this mockup:
NoteMapperQuirk2.png

Maybe it's intended like this? But it's a bit confusing at first. Drag dropping the file onto the bottom (output) keyboard works like expected, I guess: you assign the chord to the currently selected note on the input keyboard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dreammachine_nl on Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

By the way, I've found another very small bug in the properties of a Knob on the front panel of a Mux. The Parm Name property does work correctly when set to Knob or Slider, but not when set to Numeric (see picture below): then it shows the original name.

Bug_FrontPanelKnob.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dreammachine_nl wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:44 pm Drag dropping a MuSequence anywhere on the Note Mapper doesn't actually work (mouse pointer shows 'not allowed' symbol). I tried drag dropping from Mulab's browser as well as from the Compose Area.
Currently only dropping MuSequence and MIDI files are supported.
a small quirk: drag dropping the Midi File outside the top (input) keyboard (left and right) is apparently allowed and it looks like it has a virtual extended range.
Fixed in the next version: Only dropping on the input or output keyboard will be allowed.
By the way, I've found another very small bug in the properties of a Knob on the front panel of a Mux. The Parm Name property does work correctly when set to Knob or Slider, but not when set to Numeric (see picture below): then it shows the original name.
Will fix that.

Thx :tu:

mutools wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:47 pm Currently only dropping MuSequence and MIDI files are supported.
Ah, I assumed a MuSequence was just a sequence, but from the Docs I understand it's actually a saved preset file. Both are shown in Mulab's browser under 'What=sequences', so that's what confused me. Indeed, saving a sequence to a Musequence preset file and then drag dropping that file does work.

Anyway, I did some more testing and came across some more things:
  • When changing the MIDI channel for the focused track, external MIDI did not immediately use the new channel, it first needed a click on the track. Fixed.
Great, works like a charm. Thanks!
  • When using per part MIDI channels, clicking such parts was not reflected when playing MIDI input. Fixed.
Thanks, this works pretty well, but now the Per part midi channel has the same problem with the external midi I described before (with the 'Per Track' midi channel): assigning a different midi channel to a Part (say, 'Part A') will not instantly update the channel when you play via external midi (and again, via the Virtual Keyboard it is updated). To process the update for external midi, this time it's not enough to click on 'Part A' itself; you'll first have to click on another Part and then click on 'Part A' again.

I like your solution for when you have no parts selected: the Track's midi channel reflects the Part that was selected last, am I right? And when selecting multiple Parts the Track reflects the midi channel of the first of the subsequent Parts?

If the Per Part external midi is going to be fixed, here's one last very, very farfetched case: say you have two parts, A (set to midi channel 1) and B (set to channel 2). Part B is highlighted: when playing (via external midi or virtual), midi is sent out on channel 2. Now, right click on Part A and assign channel 3 to this Part (note that right clicking doesn't mean Part A gets selected/highlighted, so Part B is still selected). Now when you play, midi is sent out on channel 3 (because you just assigned that channel to Part A). But visually, you're still working in Part B and therefore would expect to be sending on channel 2. Maybe in such a case the Track should not be updated to the new midi channel.
The same story goes for when had multiple Parts selected (say B through D): don't update, keep the Track on the channel assigned to B. But when you had no Parts selected? I'm not sure, it's probably a 'don't care'.

Thanks for reading this!

dreammachine_nl wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:41 pm Thanks, this works pretty well, but now the Per part midi channel has the same problem with the external midi I described before (with the 'Per Track' midi channel)
I missed that case, thx for spotting that. Fixed in the next update.
I like your solution for when you have no parts selected: the Track's midi channel reflects the Part that was selected last, am I right?
Yes (kind of)
And when selecting multiple Parts the Track reflects the midi channel of the first of the subsequent Parts?
The first selected part is focused, indeed.
If the Per Part external midi is going to be fixed, here's one last very, very farfetched case: say you have two parts, A (set to midi channel 1) and B (set to channel 2). Part B is highlighted: when playing (via external midi or virtual), midi is sent out on channel 2. Now, right click on Part A and assign channel 3 to this Part (note that right clicking doesn't mean Part A gets selected/highlighted, so Part B is still selected). Now when you play, midi is sent out on channel 3 (because you just assigned that channel to Part A). But visually, you're still working in Part B and therefore would expect to be sending on channel 2.
Yes but atoh you did focus your activity on Part A so it's still kind of relevant to play on chan 3. Anyway, i agree it's a bit ambiguous and maybe could be regarded as a small imperfection. I appreciate you zoom in on it, but i'm confident it's ok as is. (i mean with the fixes of the next M8.6.3). If you think there still is a musical workflow issue in this context with the next M8.6.3 pls let me know. Thx.

mutools wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:23 pm ...i'm confident it's ok as is. (i mean with the fixes of the next M8.6.3). If you think there still is a musical workflow issue in this context with the next M8.6.3 pls let me know. Thx.
I agree, it's a just a minor detail and it doesn't really affect the workflow. All your support is much appreciated.

MuLab 8.6.3 is available in http://www.mutools.com/mulab/beta/

What's changed:
  • New "XY MIDI Controller Pad" module.
  • New "XY Parameter Pad" module.
  • New "XY Modulation Pad" module.
  • The new "Render Parts As New Audio Part" function will now put the rendered part on an existing track, if possible.
  • MacOS: Windows were not minimizable anymore. Fixed.
  • Note Mapper: Misc. small improvements & fixes.
  • The Step Sequencer Mod Group parameters have explicit individual names.
How to update MuLab:
Windows: Replace the current MuLab.exe and MuLab.ID by the new versions.
MacOS: Replace the current MuLab.app by the new version.

About the new XY Pad modules:
  • You can drag the XY dot around in any direction, obviously.
  • If you drag at the very left/right outside the XY area it's vertical only
  • If you drag at the very top/bottom outside the XY area it's horizontal only
  • Mouse wheel scrolls the XY dot vertically, when holding [Alt] horizontally.
  • Click the options button in the top-right or right-click the XY pad -> "Properties" = Setup what the XY pad must send out.
  • An XY pad can be integrated in a MUX front panel.

The new "Render Parts As New Audio Part" function will now put the rendered part on an existing track, if possible.
Cool! I see this is exactly the function I was looking for the other day.
This is great!

Is it latency compensated? It doesn't seem to be, for there is an offset between the MIDI part and the rendered audio if I play them both at the same time. Playing other tracks as well, MIDI is in sync whereas the rendered audio is not. Do I have to switch delay compensation off before rendering or something like that?

Also, if I open the rendered audio stream, I can't select a grid other than time base. What I'd like is a grid that shows me the bars and beats.

On another note, I just want to say how much I love the simplicity of upgrading to the latest version.
Download, replace two files - done! This is awesome! With other programs I feel like I'm spending at least an hour backing everything up before I dare upgrading. Great!

Awesome! it's so great that i can automate the x/y-pointer :)
2020-04-15_20h11_51.gif

Woohoo! Awesome, thanks.

Maybe with next update we will be able to disable the text bar of the Note event pad :)

Rhinetone wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:50 pm
The new "Render Parts As New Audio Part" function will now put the rendered part on an existing track, if possible.
Is it latency compensated?
Yes.
It doesn't seem to be, for there is an offset between the MIDI part and the rendered audio if I play them both at the same time.
I could indeed repeat some cases where the latency was not immediately right. Will be fixed in the next update. Until then toggle off-on the rack that contains a latency, this will fix the latency mismatch.
Also, if I open the rendered audio stream, I can't select a grid other than time base. What I'd like is a grid that shows me the bars and beats.
That's not yet supported in the audio editor. That's independent from that new render function.
On another note, I just want to say how much I love the simplicity of upgrading to the latest version. Great!
Thanks.

With fully integrated pdc looks as if the framework will be able to handle an upsampling /(plugin here)/ down sampling module sometime in the future. :party:

Return to “MUTOOLS”