How to set a midi controller to not jump, but instead pick up the value ?

Official support for: mutools.com
dk-chi
KVRer
5 posts since 21 Feb, 2020

Post Tue May 12, 2020 4:42 am

How can I set it in Mulab that the values ​​that I set with a midi controller do not jump, but instead pick up the value where it is currently in Mulab.
I've tried several controllers, Aturia Minilab, Akai Apc Mini, but they both behave the same way. Is there something in Mulab to edit this behave ? :?: I didn't find anything in the instructions straight away. I would appreciate an answer. :help:
Best regards Dirk.

mutools
KVRAF
10557 posts since 24 Jun, 2008 from Europe

Re: How to set a midi controller to not jump, but instead pick up the value ?

Post Tue May 12, 2020 5:02 am

There currently is no such option. I wonder how it would work. Imagine a certain parameter in MuLab is at 50% and you move the MIDI CC from 10% to 20% then it should do nothing? It should only do something when passing the 50%? But what if the MIDI CC was at 49% and you turn it down to 20% that should also have no action?

dk-chi
KVRer

Post Tue May 12, 2020 5:21 am

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Try to see it from a live situation. Or from the point of view of a self-made mux synthesizer or VST plugin in which you have defined midi controllers for controllers of the synthesizer. You record your song, save the project and call it up another time. Now you move the midi controller and the values ​​jump, because the knobs are not in the same position as they were at some point in time when you created the project. Such an option would be very helpful for a live situation, but also because it can be annoying if you have set very precise values ​​and then have to reset them each time you restart a project. So yes I actually mean a pick up option where nothing happens until the saved value is reached.

mutools
KVRAF
10557 posts since 24 Jun, 2008 from Europe

Post Tue May 12, 2020 5:35 am

I know what is can be useful for, i've encountered similar musical situations myself where a sound parameter jumps too much as MIDI CC and parameter are not in sync. But i wonder how to realize it practically, as i can imagine there are cases where a user would be unhappily surprised that moving a MIDI CC does not have effect. So i wonder about the precise rules when a MIDI CC should have effect and when not. If a user has to tweak the MIDI CC a wide range just to 'catch' sync with the parameter then that could cause an uncomfortable jump too. Anyway, just thinking loud here out of curiosity.

dk-chi
KVRer

Post Tue May 12, 2020 5:48 am

I think it's good that you think loud. It is exactly such a creative exchange that I am searching... Unfortunately, I don't know how to implement it in terms of programming. And yes of course I agree with you that if this "pick up option" were always on it could be just as impractical as the other way around. Therefore, in my view, it would be best if such an option could be turned on or off, for a better workflow.

pljones
KVRAF
6661 posts since 8 Feb, 2003 from London, UK

Post Tue May 12, 2020 12:56 pm

I think two options are needed. One for automation, to indicate whether it should be instant or pick up - this would "take priority" as it's user set. Then each controllable parameter in a module should have the option, which would be taken as the default.

Return to “MUTOOLS”