Two feature requests

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

1. Microtonal compatibility (perhaps through .scl and .kbm files handling)
2. Set animated .gif as a front panel background
(Edit)
3. Native Linux support (probably discussed already in the depths of this forum)
Last edited by humanboeing on Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

May I ask, what for is that animation? (unless you want to put custom gif, perhaps?)

Well it is just for customizability purposes. It would be awesome if one could make an ambient synth/effect with animated space background. Probably not the highest priority feature request.

humanboeing wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:16 pm 1. Microtonal compatibility (perhaps through .scl and .kbm files handling)
+1
"Music is directly tied to the technology of a culture."
"Modular gear is the craft beer of music."

About Microtonal support:

1) What about VST plugins?
Last time i looked into that, many years ago, only a minority of VST plugins supported that.

2) I wonder how many users would prioritize microtonal support above other feature requests.

Zooming out from this specific FR, it's clear that there are too many FRs than i'll ever be able to realize. That makes me think that may be it would be handy to have a Top Most Feature Requests poll system. Don't know how to organize that in an easy way and in a way only genuine MuLab/MUX users can use it. Any hints for a free poll tool where only registered users can vote? Maybe the Kvr poll system is sufficient?

And zooming out from such FR poll system, this could lead to an interesting debate which direction MuLab should evolve to. In a world with so many DAWs and plugins, how can MuLab / MUX really be added value? Curious for your visions. (not that i don't have a vision of my own, but atst curious for other visions too)

I think adding features that other DAW's don't have or implementing new ways of doing things that make it easier is the best thing you can do.

What about the plugin or scripting idea that was requested before? At least then many ideas could be added by users. I mean I understand for example my request for wait note is probably very low priority. But if plugins/scripting was introduced, I for one would be willing to pay for someone to write a plugin/script for this purpose. And many other requests could also be done this way.

Maybe you could outsource this plugin/script writing to a third party so as to relieve yourself of this burden and free up your time for more important features and bugs etc?

Sorry, I'm not trying to bump my request, just trying to give you ideas how to improve MuLab.

Hope that helps :)

sl23 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:31 amI think adding features that other DAW's don't have or implementing new ways of doing things that make it easier is the best thing you can do.
I agree.

Only MuLab has the simple design language and flexibility that lets me easily realize my sound-ideas.

If MuLab remained simple but became more open, users might: script midi variations among loops; design arp sequences; convert midi-in to microtonal; set global scales; modulate all device parameters like sample start; host PureData or Csound patches; edit sample harmonics; quickly audition MuLib presets; have a standard tutorial video format for users to share workflows; and with ARA MuLab could even be a sound design plugin to eight other DAWs.

For many people, MuLab could be "the second DAW" for fun sound design and a place to patch together any idea.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Regarding microtonality in VST plugins more and more developers put this option into their software but there's still many which don't. I think people would be satisfied even if only polysynth could play microtonal scales. The FR voting poll idea for Mulab/Mux users is great.

(deleted)
Last edited by Karlatin on Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

mutools wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:20 amDon't know how to organize that in an easy way and in a way only genuine MuLab/MUX users can use it. Any hints for a free poll tool where only registered users can vote? Maybe the Kvr poll system is sufficient?
If MuLab may also be a plugin to any DAW, current and future users could be anyone so the Kvr poll would work.

But rather than poll on a very long list of feature requests, you may want to first ask what direction they want MuLab to go in?

For example, do most users want MuLab to excel in:
- modular flexibility with user programmable modules?
- clean design and fast workflow for sketching?
- innovative sampling, layering and sequencing?
- live performance and looping variations?
- improvisation with harmony and microtones?
- sound design with spectral FX and ARA?
- songwriting, arranging and remixing?
- midi composition with chord recognition and scripting?
- a combination with the top three votes?

The results may help narrow the focus around a subset of FRs.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

How i see it:

I want MuLab to have a clean design and fast workflow for sketching. That's definitely the main goal. Easy creative fun :phones:
Under the hood it should feature a nice modular system where advanced users can tweak, create & share sounds, grooves, ... etc. That's the engine that delivers a vast palette of sounds & effects. MuLab should not be the umpteenth big DAW with a zillion of features causing a contra-inspiring feel.

With M9 it should be possible to use MuLab for quick creative musical fun, yet still be able to make awesome final productions with it, all using the stand-alone version, but also have the option to work out your sketches in another DAW by plugging in MuLab in DAW X. The stand-alone and plug-in version should be 100% compatible.

M9's live clip matrix will increase the creative fun :party:

I would rather have a better mpe support without anything above, but then, who cares, I like the program as it is, so anything you add is a bonus, but not essential.

MPE and vst3 are the two things which draw me away from mulab, when I would much rather be using mulab than bitwig, cubase or anything else. So better mpe support gets my vote also.

I feel that almost all DAWs focus on audio. MuLab offers fine Midi-treatment and that could be its USP. So I agree to RichardSemper (MPE, VST3). In addition I would appreciate a multiple-track-view, ideally with different types (notation, drums, piano-roll, audio) like AriaMaestosa does.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mutools wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:20 amMuLab should not be the umpteenth big DAW with a zillion of features causing a contra-inspiring feel.
This is important.

The global economy is more and more based on attracting scarce human attention. Attention is now a valuable currency: users pay for services with their attention.

Software companies compete for attention by getting users to spend more time with their apps. Zillions of features are more likely to attract and keep users attention.

When we pay more attention to app features and included content, we pay less attention to our own free and independent inspiration.

MuLab requires less attention so we can focus more on inspiration.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Return to “MUTOOLS”