Question on Good midi controller for Mu Labs?

Official support for: mutools.com
KVRer
1 posts since 13 Jul, 2021

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:13 pm

Greetings my name is Caleb. I was wondering if you knew what is the best midi controller to buy for the DAW system Mu Labs that isn’t super expensive around $00 to $150 dollar range. :)

KVRian
1319 posts since 4 Oct, 2012 from Utah

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:11 pm

Mulabs controller support is very basic (manually assigning CC to parameters). Honestly, the Korg NanoKontrol2 (about $75 USD) would do you wonders (I used it for nearly a decade with Mulab). If you want a keyboard controller, I'd suggest the Arturia MiniLab MkII (about $130 USD). Decent key bed (nothing fancy) with many knobs to control software with. Only catch with the MiniLab MkII is that you will need to use it's proprietary software to setup the controls. By default they map it to their own standalone software, which is fine, but doesn't integrate well with a DAW (I made custom profiles for Logic, Bitwig, and Mulab)

All in all, most controllers will work with Mulab. Mulab doesn't do OSC or other fancy integrations, and there's no pre-built controller mappings, so you will have to build the maps yourself.

Hope this helps!

KVRAF
6795 posts since 8 Feb, 2003 from London, UK

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:13 pm

If you have a tablet, TouchOSC supports MIDI and lets you design your own controllers. So you have a similar idiom there as when creating custom layouts in MuLab/MUX.

KVRist
89 posts since 7 Oct, 2014 from Suisse

Post Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:51 am

Im using Keystep , Minilab , Beatstep pro , Keystep37, and old midi gears. What im really missing , is that mulab dont manage devives. You cant bind 2 controller from 2 device to 2 differet controller , Expl: CC11 device 1 for macro bt1 , device 2 cc11 to macro b2. With complex wirring its better using MUX box to combine controllers.

Return to “MUTOOLS”