Pickup noise

Official support for: mutools.com
KVRer
23 posts since 2 Jan, 2018

Post Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:32 pm

Is there any way to illuminate or reduce pickup noise using vst Amp Sims in mulab? I have an Ibanez that has a lot of noise. The fender telecaster doesn't have any. Any suggestions? The Ibanez sounds great but the pickup noise kills the recording on the track :dog: :dog:
If it sounds good it is good

KVRAF
6816 posts since 8 Feb, 2003 from London, UK

Post Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:09 pm

Replace the pick ups with less noisy ones?

KVRAF
3795 posts since 25 Jan, 2014 from The End of The World as We Knowit

Post Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:56 pm

Design an amp sim in Mulab that makes the Telecaster sound great!
buying happiness

KVRian
1236 posts since 21 Apr, 2017 from Bahia, Brazil

Post Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:39 am

MarkyMark wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:32 pm
Is there any way to illuminate or reduce pickup noise using vst Amp Sims in mulab? I have an Ibanez that has a lot of noise. The fender telecaster doesn't have any. Any suggestions? The Ibanez sounds great but the pickup noise kills the recording on the track :dog: :dog:
You could sample the noise of the guitar without playing. Put that sample in parallel with your guitar track and move the phase 180 degrees. Crude but should work.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://www.scrubbingmonkeys.com/

KVRer

Topic Starter

23 posts since 2 Jan, 2018

Post Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:22 am

Thanks for the replies I'll try some of this and see if it works
If it sounds good it is good

KVRian
943 posts since 27 Apr, 2005

Post Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:53 am

1. The ground wire in the Ibanez might not be connected or the solder joint for it may have broken.

2. The shielding for the internal electrics might not be that great.

3. Use a direct box rather than plugging straight in to the interface, this will correctly match the impedance from the guitar to the interface, and also most DIs will have a ground lift switch which helps with the noise.

4 computers, monitors and gear make a lot of interference, so play in a spot in the room where you are away from screens and other crap. Usually you can walk around or turn yourself to a spot where the noise is gone unless you have problem 1 or 2 above.

5 use humbuckers, or noise cancelling pickups.

6. sometimes you can use an eq to isolate and remove the offending noise.

7. Put a noise gate before your effects chain, play with the threshold until you find a sweet spot where it eliminates the noise without effecting your sustain too much.

It’s weird that the tele would be noise free, as they are usually pretty noisy (in their original pickup config) but it might just be that you only use the tele for clean sounds? Noise usually isn’t much of a factor til you crank up the gain/fuzz.

KVRist
185 posts since 24 Sep, 2004

Post Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:29 am

shielding with copper tape really works on single coils, assuming guitar is wired and earthed correctly. you can also use black shielding paint, but in my experience it comes off as dust and makes mess when you're wiring the guitar, so i prefer copper tape

Return to “MUTOOLS”