Using an External Audio Editor with MuLab

Official support for: mutools.com
KVRian
529 posts since 12 Jan, 2011

Post Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:47 pm

Hi!! I'm on a Mac, and I'm trying to use an external editor with MuLab . . . either Twisted Wave or Serato Sample. I found a paragraph in the user's manual that suggests this might be possible, but I cannot find where to assign the editor. I am able to select audio, then choose External Editor, but nothing happens. Thanks for any help.

Funny Note: When I did a search for External Editor I found something I posted a couple of years ago:
"Does anyone know if there's a way to assign an external audio editor that can be launched from the recorded audio track in ML?"

From Manual:

Using an external audio editor

The Audio Lab has only limited DSP functionality because there already are so many good (and free) audio editors on the globe, e.g. Audacity and Wavosaur.

The nice thing is that (on Windows) you can setup this MuTools app so it can work together with one of these audio editors to edit audio streams. (this feature does not yet work for samples). In the main menu -> "Edit Preferences", select the "External Audio Editor" preference, and choose your favorite editor. Now you'll see that when you right-click the audio display in the Audio Lab, you get a context menu option "Edit In Audio Editor", where "Audio Editor" will be the name of your favorite audio editor. Then MuLab stops using this audio file and transfers control over the audio file to the audio editor. Now you can make any edits you want in the audio editor, and save them to the audio file. When you switch back to MuLab, MuLab will notice the changes and propose to re-open the audio file, and update the audio streams to the applied edits.

On MacOS, this automated system does not (yet) work. However MacOS and Windows users can both also reach the same functionality by 'manually' doing completing the following steps:

Right-click the audio display in the Audio Lab and choose "Start Editing".
Now switch to the other application and start editing the audio file, then save your results.
Then switch back to the MuTools app, right-click the audio display in the Audio Lab and choose "End Editing".
All this will have the same effect as the 'automatic' mode.
Last edited by tommyzai on Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

KVRAF
11210 posts since 24 Jun, 2008 from Europe

Post Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:49 am

I'll reply on this soonish, i first want to doublecheck something, but as i'm also working on M9, it will be for one of the days.

KVRian

Topic Starter

529 posts since 12 Jan, 2011

Post Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:02 am

mutools wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:49 am
I'll reply on this soonish, i first want to doublecheck something, but as i'm also working on M9, it will be for one of the days.
Very exciting time to be a MuLab user. Thanks for all you do!

KVRAF
11210 posts since 24 Jun, 2008 from Europe

Post Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:26 am

Apologies for the delay, due to the intense M9 works these days.
Ok i've found the time to dive into this and it turned out that there indeed is an issue with using an external audio editor when the edited audio file has a different samplerate than the current samplerate of your audio device. This issue will be fixed in the next update.

Return to “MUTOOLS”