Silent Way Works with these analog synths...

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lexicon mpx500 + kraftzwerg getting 7 octaves

Moog Prodigy works with alesis io26 7 octaves

Alesis io26 &

Roland SH5 (at least 6 octaves, cannot remember)
Roland System 100 (model 101) (again many octaves)
Korg X911 (3-4 octaves)
Yamaha CS15 (3-4 octaves)

So there's a good chance that the Yamaha CS-10 will work over 3-4 octaves without any special mods? (Based on the success with the CS-15 here and the previous 7 octave report on the Yamaha CS-30.)

I'd be using a MOTU Ultralite III Hybrid, but I imagine the result would be the same as the Alesis io26.

Yes, the CS-10 is very likely to work just as well.

Give it a try - the Silent Way demo is a free download.

Yes, I will try it as soon as it arrives. It's currently being modified to add a bunch of new inputs and outputs - it occurred to me that I could request TRS sockets to be installed, using the tip and shield only. That way I could use standard TRS to TRS cables to wire up to the Ultralite - any potential problems with this approach?

Sounds like a good idea - I can't think why that wouldn't work.

Hey Folks,

long time lurker on these boards but I can't seem to find the answer to this one.

I've got silent way tracking pitch through cv input with my Arp Odyssey and Motu 828mkII card but I can't get it to trigger (if I turn up VCA gain the pitch tracks but I've obviously got constant notes which isn't ideal).

I have both gate and trigger connected to the arp and the correct outputs selected in the output section of silent way voice controller.

I'm using balanced cables with stereo 1/4" to 1/8" adapters plugged into the arp. I've tried running the outputs through the headphone out, main outs and standard line outs to no avail. The thing is, I can see a very subtle change in the output of the arp when I press a key on my midi keyboard, so it is obviously receiving something but it wont trigger the patch properly.

It's driving me a bit nuts. I presumed it was that there wasn't a high enough voltage being produced but then others have said that they have odyssey's working with an 828mkII.

Could it be the cables? Do I need to wire them as someone said with only the tip and ground connected perhaps?

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Very excited to get this up and running.

Cheers.

naik wrote:if I turn up VCA gain the pitch tracks but I've obviously got constant notes which isn't ideal
That's my problem too... :cry:

naik wrote:Could it be the cables? Do I need to wire them as someone said with only the tip and ground connected perhaps?
You should certainly be doing that, else you risk damage to your interface. So that would be
T -> T
R -> nothing
S -> S

However, another option would be to wire the cable
T -> T
R -> S
S -> nothing

in theory that gives you double the voltage swing. Note though that *all* your cables need to be wired that way if you're going to do that, else you get a confused ground level. Easiest test would be to unplug the pitch CV and just see if you can get a trigger signal going with the one lead connected.

If that doesn't work, you could try the voltage doubler circuit and Silent Way AC Encoder as discussed here:
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14328

Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, you're saying that wiring the cable

T>T
R>S
S> nothing

gives you double the voltage right?

I'll give this a try. The other cable with the capacitor is a little over my head but if this doesn't work I'll try work that out.

I bought some Y cables but that didn't seem to help.

What sort of damage can you do to your interface if you don't use correctly wired cables? Just want to make sure I haven't done anything yet.

>> Just to clarify, you're saying that wiring the cable ... gives you double the voltage right?

That's the theory. I've not tested it.

Y cables give you
T -> T
R -> nothing
S -> S
and
T -> nothing
R -> T
S -> S

If your cable shorts out the TRS's R & S (which might happen if you just use a 1/4" to 3.5mm adaptor) then you run the risk of damaging the interface's output stage. Again, that's the theory, and the recommendation from e.g. MOTU. I've yet to hear of anyone actually damaging an interface in this way though.

Hello Forum,

this is my first post and I hope I am addressing the right people and I am in the right category... let's see. I have posted an identical text to the numerology forum.

My question is regarding Numerology using the silent way plugin from expert sleepers.

I am trying to follow exactly the video posted on this (excellent) homepage how to set up the modular with numerology. However, I cannot get it to work.

I have two issues:
- In the pure analog setup when I try to calibrate the plugin, I only get a series of clicks or high pitch sounds and the graph shows several spikes after calibration. Obviously I cannot play the correct notes after this calibration.
- My second question is regarding pitch. This does not work when I use numerology and a MIDI to CV interface and I expect it to maybe be part of the whole problem. When I play a sequence and close the pitch gates the modular will continue to play the last note it received with an open pitch gate. I am not getting a "Note off" kind of response from my setup. In the video of the silent way plugin it is clearly shown that the sound is actually off when the pitch gates are closed. How is that done? Through MIDI to CV or Silent way to CV.

Just to make things easier to narrow down:
- yes, I did read the manual
- yes, I built the cables according to the instructions (TRS -> TS)
- I am using a MOTU FW 828 MKII as my soundcard (MIDI and analog out/in)
- I am using both a Doepfer MCV24 as well as the A-190 as MIDI to CV modules
- I have only Doepfer modules as VCO's (the A-110 and the A-111)
- I am using IN1/2 and Out1/2 as analog signal paths, this is my only uncertainty as I cannot see if OUT1/2 is actually my main out

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks for this excellent product (which I activated yesterday after some days on the Demo version).

Regards,
aze

I got my Roland SH-2 working with my MOTU 828mkII last night. I was worried that the gates wouldn't be strong enough to trigger the envelopes but it works perfectly, no modifications required.

Success, I got it to work! The problem is that the ins and outs of numerology are offset by 2 from the MOTU. Use 3/4 on numerology if your connections are on analog 1/2 ins and outs.

Also see Jims response on the numerology forum.

Regards,
Alex

Return to “Expert Sleepers”