Holy Crap, it worked! Silent Way and the VCS3!

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just performed what may be the ultimate test of Silent Way. Really, I had no expectation that this one would work, but it does: the notoriously hard-to-calibrate EMS VCS3. Indeed.

Again, this was with the AU version in Logic and there's a couple of catches. First, I have inserted a 100k resistor into the CV signal (this is easiest done by making a custom cable or box). Also, my own VCS3 is modified to allow access to the gate input (it's on pin 5 of the keyboard socket) on one of the Control Output jacks. These are simple mods that are necessary for anyone who ever wants to connect their VCS3 to the outside world. Even so, I have only ever been able to use it with non-quantized analog sequencers.

Having said that, it worked beautifully, though only over a few octaves at a time. I have never, ever heard my VCS3 play octaves that were lock-step in tune with each other until today. This is really terrific work.
There are rocketships outside of my window. Really: www.cosmo.org
www.theelectronicgarden.com

Excellent news, thanks Scot.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Scot Solida wrote:I just performed what may be the ultimate test of Silent Way. Really, I had no expectation that this one would work, but it does: the notoriously hard-to-calibrate EMS VCS3. Indeed.

Again, this was with the AU version in Logic and there's a couple of catches. First, I have inserted a 100k resistor into the CV signal (this is easiest done by making a custom cable or box). Also, my own VCS3 is modified to allow access to the gate input (it's on pin 5 of the keyboard socket) on one of the Control Output jacks.
That is risky. You could destroy the FET in the Envelope Shaper which will be an expensive repair.
The safe way to convert a VCS3 for external CVs and Gates is shown on my website here:
http://www.hinton-instruments.co.uk/ems ... .html#xkbd (http://www.hinton-instruments.co.uk/ems/emsmods.html#xkbd)
Scot Solida wrote: These are simple mods that are necessary for anyone who ever wants to connect their VCS3 to the outside world. Even so, I have only ever been able to use it with non-quantized analog sequencers.

Having said that, it worked beautifully, though only over a few octaves at a time. I have never, ever heard my VCS3 play octaves that were lock-step in tune with each other until today.
A few simple mods would have easily had it tracking a five octave analogue keyboard.

I am currently evaluating Silent Way and I have my VCS3 working with it over eight octaves. I will be publishing more about how this is achieved soon, but meanwhile feel free to contact me.

Graham, that sounds very interesting. If you don't post it here, please let me know where it is so I can refer people to it.

cheers,
os.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”