Minimoog, how to use VCA and VCF inputs?

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After some fiddling around, mainly due to the slightly confusing nature of setting this up in Logic, I got my SH-101 connected to CV and gate, with the audio coming back in (MOTU Ultralite mk3), and calibrating properly. So I can work out how to do that part with the Minimoog. The Mini of course also has VCA and VCF ins, which I have previously used with MIDI to CV converters to route key velocity to VCA and a MIDI controller to VCF. I know this should be possible with Silent Way but I don't understand how to extend the basic CV/Gate setup up in Logic to do it. I can see that Silent Way has its own VCA envelope, but I imagine this is used for other purposes than routing key velocity to the VCA jack on the Mini.

Minimoogs generally have S-trig, but mine was modified years ago to respond to a standard (I think) gate signal.

I would be grateful for any pointers to setting up VCA and VCF control. I've looked at the various videos and tutorials but haven't seen these points covered.

Many thanks!

First you'll want to expose the Voice Controller's outputs 3-6, if you haven't already, by creating aux tracks in Logic (this is covered in the examples).

By default these output the Voice Controller's 3 envelopes and a trigger signal. If you want to output a CV for key velocity, then you need to use the Output Matrix. For output 3 (say), set the envelope level to 0.0 and the velocity level to 1.0. Then output 3 is outputting velocity.

For direct MIDI CC control of an output (for the VCF), set all the output's levels to 0.0 in the Output Matrix, and use MIDI to control the output's Offset.

os wrote:First you'll want to expose the Voice Controller's outputs 3-6, if you haven't already, by creating aux tracks in Logic (this is covered in the examples).

By default these output the Voice Controller's 3 envelopes and a trigger signal. If you want to output a CV for key velocity, then you need to use the Output Matrix. For output 3 (say), set the envelope level to 0.0 and the velocity level to 1.0. Then output 3 is outputting velocity.

For direct MIDI CC control of an output (for the VCF), set all the output's levels to 0.0 in the Output Matrix, and use MIDI to control the output's Offset.
Thanks - I've got CV, Gate and VCA working. I'm a bit stumped on the VCF. I set all the values to zero and can adjust the filter cut off by tweaking the offset button in the output matrix, so it works, but I don't know how to link that to a midi parameter in Logic. I created a fader for this purpose in the environment, which I can assign to a mini controller like 'expression' for example, which then somehow has to route to the offset parameter in Silent Way.

I imagine it's my ignorance of Logic 9 holding me back here, but I'd be grateful for any pointers.

I'm not a great Logic expert either, I'm afraid. I usually use Live, which makes this sort of thing trivially easy.

The MIDI CC numbers for the plug-in parameters are listed in the Silent Way manual, if that helps.

os wrote:I'm not a great Logic expert either, I'm afraid. I usually use Live, which makes this sort of thing trivially easy.

The MIDI CC numbers for the plug-in parameters are listed in the Silent Way manual, if that helps.
Yes, that's exactly what I need, found them now - thanks!

And now VCF control is working perfectly. Just needed to map the fader to midi controller 85, which is the Output 4 Offset. So the Minimoog is completely wired up, and sounds great!

I just tried (and failed) to get a Moog Source working but perhaps the S-trigger is a problem. It doesn't have a special connector, just a normal jack, but doesn't calibrate. Are there any tricks for S-trigger synths, or do I need a non-standard cable?

There seems to be much confusion about what an s-trigger actually is, but as a first step you could try inverting the gate signal. In the Output Matrix (it's handy, isn't it?) set the gate Offset to 1.0 and the gate level to -1.0 (so it's at 1.0 by default but 0.0 when you press a key).

os wrote:There seems to be much confusion about what an s-trigger actually is, but as a first step you could try inverting the gate signal. In the Output Matrix (it's handy, isn't it?) set the gate Offset to 1.0 and the gate level to -1.0 (so it's at 1.0 by default but 0.0 when you press a key).
Yes, works perfectly like that, thank you.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”