USAMO Help

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello

I'm a USAMo newby and just got this thing since 2 weeks now. I got it setting up and running properly (I think so) doing all the test thing etc. My synths receiving signals...all good so far.

Now what's strange is, when I move the Offset or Swing wheel, nothing seems to happen at all. At least I cant hear any difference. I guess you should hear a clear difference. Furthermore I'm not sure if the whole timing got really that much better then before. I did some comparisons and it seemed a bit tighter, but not a whole lot. So I'm not sure if this whole thing is running properly. Maybe I need to do some more settings in Cubase? I got no clock signal sending from Cubase to my synths, this I made sure.

My Setup is as follow:
PC/Cubase sending Midi Clock via Usamo to my synths (either NL4 or Little Phatty)

Another question...for now I just switch the Midi cable from synth to synth when I want to play with them. Any solution to use 1 Usamo with several synths by adding a Midi Interface or do I really need to buy for each synth a Usamo? In that case I might running out of outputs on my Soundcard.

You should certainly notice a difference if you change the Offset - perhaps easiest to see if you record some passes of a beat, with different Offset settings, and compare the position of the recorded notes.

That said, Offset only applies to the generated MIDI clock. It doesn't affect other MIDI being sent out of the USAMO (e.g. notes sequenced in the DAW).

The overall timing precision is still limited by the response of the synths involved. If you have synths with sloppy MIDI response, there's no solution to that other than to get a new synth.

If it's just clock you're sending, it should be OK to daisy-chain the devices or use a MIDI splitter. But for actual sequencing of notes etc. a physical output per synth is much preferable.

Nope, I dont hear any difference at all, but I'm sending sequenced Midi Notes from my DAW. So I guess thats why.

I dont get it. The guy from schneidersladen told me, for proper timing between DAW and Synths via Midi Usamo is the way to go. I dont understand what the Usamo is dooing for me, when the sequenced midi notes im sending from my DAW are not effect by the stable clock signal.

I bought the Usamo to finally get rid of timing problems and now your telling me, that thats the problem of the synths midi response?

Just to get it right...I want my synths to play the sequenced midi notes sendet from Cubase tight. Can Usamo help there or not?

The USAMO will ensure that the timing of the MIDI messages entering the synth is perfect. If the timing from your previous MIDI output was the problem, then the USAMO will help.

If the problem is that the synth doesn't respond well to MIDI, neither the USAMO nor any other MIDI interface can help.

ok, thanks for the help. I think I'm getting it. For my pouposes I can forget about the swing and offset faders. I'll fix the offset after recording by moving the audio file. At least the timing in the recording it self should be tighter right?

the offset and swing is only for trigering hardware sequencers and drummachines I guess

>> At least the timing in the recording it self should be tighter right?

Yes. In some DAWs you can shift tracks around so that the offset is also compensated for correctly. Not sure if Cubase can.

>> the offset and swing is only for trigering hardware sequencers and drummachines I guess

Yes - anything that's using the MIDI clock.

Thx man..slowly I'm getting there :)

I can shift in Cubase so that the midi file starts tight where it should. If the rest stays tight as well I'm fine.

Another question....do I need to switch on the Midi Clock button for my pouposes? Most of the time I play sequenced Midi notes out of Cubase and sometimes Arpeggios aswell trigered by Midi notes out of Cubase. If I got you right, the Clock is only for sequencers and stuff....so I guess I can leave it off?

Yes, leave it off unless you need it. If you turn it on it's fighting for bandwidth with the notes and might send them slightly out of time.

Another question...

How to proceed when I use the synth as a Midi Controller or I want to record Midi cc sendet from this synth? Can I just leave the USB plugged to the synth?

Like this my synth recieves midi signals by Usamo and sends cc by USB. Could this be a problem?

That should be fine.

Hi, I'm struggeling with my usamo:
I want to use it to send midi cc's to a condor from bitwig.
But midi cc 19 doesn't work, it getting out as midi cc number 17, any idea about this?

Does the plug-in history display show that it is indeed sending CC 19?

Did you run the setup/calibration process?

yep, it display CC 19 and I did run the calibration.

If you use the 'message' test type you can force the setup process to output CC 19 messages during the test, to be absolutely sure they're working.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”