Usamo setup question

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Having some issues getting Usamo to send clock, using Ableton and a UA Apollo 8.

I followed test setup instructions using an E-MU X Midi 1x1 tab, and when I enable the test, the "Sent (test)" history shows no green or red text, only grey regardless of what I test. The "Received (test input)" shows nothing.

Using it in action, I'm sending clock to my slaved DSI Tempest via Usamo, I have the Usamo in it's own midi track in Ableton. It's setup to get midi from all ins, and sends it to my Ext. audio out channel. Nothing is synced in Live's preferences.

When I push play in Ableton, the Tempest starts playing but the tempo is erratic and out of step with Live's clock. Usamo's plugin history shows clock information being sent and nothing being received, in case that's relevant.

Any ideas?

>>> The "Received (test input)" shows nothing.

You need to fix that really before proceeding. If you've selected the E-MU as the MIDI input in the Test section, you can send any old MIDI into the interface (e.g. plug a keyboard into it and play some notes) and the MIDI should appear in the 'Received' window.

Thanks Os!

I selected my Prophet 6 in the plugin, and I now see red received midi messages when I strike a key. Sent messages are still grey.

Aside from rotating the Usamo trim knob I'm not quite sure how to proceed here to get green messages to show up on the input and output of the test mode, aside from just randomly messing with the parameters and settings in the plugin.

The Prophet is sending midi messages via USB directly to my computer. I have Usamo in it's own Ableton midi track collecting midi from All ins and all channels, sending audio to the Usamo hardware, and from there to the E-MU X Midi 1x1 tab into my computer.

Sent messages do not go green.

Have you selected the E-MU in the plug-in test input box? (Not in the track inputs in Live.) Can I see a screenshot (with the Test page active)?

I have the Prophet 6 selected in the test section. The EMU tab is receiving midi from Usamo and sending it to my computer. My computer sends midi to my Prophet via a separate USB cable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You need to have the E-MU selected in the test section.

Ok, I selected it. Still having the same results.

Setup 1:
Usamo is sending midi to my Prophet 6 via midi cable, and my Prophet 6 is sending midi to my computer via my E-MU midi tab.

Here's another setup I tried which didn't work. Let me know which of these two is the test setup I should be using.

Setup 2:
Usamo is sending midi to my E-MU tab which is connected to my computer, my E-MU tab is sending midi to my Prophet 6. This arrangement doesn't allow me to send midi from my Prophet 6 to my computer however.

Ideally you would forget about the Prophet completely. You just want a setup where you can get the USAMO's MIDI output directly into the computer.

Ah great, I'm in business! I've adjusted the trim knob so that the midi clock messages are all green.

Most of the other midi options I test show a mix of red and green messages. A few such as the midi notes are mostly green but every 10 or so messages shows a red one. Turning the trim knob just seems to make it worse. Any ideas here?

Where on the trim pot's range are you, for best results so far?

About 60% rotated

Assuming all the other plug-in settings are at defaults, try reducing the Level slightly. You should find that the USAMO trim is then best placed nearer 12 o'clock, which seems to work better.

I'd also be interested in your results at different sample rates.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”