Augustus Loop issue

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm experiencing an issue while using multiple (12) instances of Augustus Loop at the same time using Ableton Live 10.

I have all effects inside the Augustus Loop instances deactivated and am using the plugin in digital mode, as I'm using it as a multi track looper system.

After a few minutes of use, at least one, sometimes two of the instances will suddenly produce very distorted sound. The waveforms in the tape display look normal, so it seems to be an issue regarding the plugin's output, not the recording.

After clearing all loops and waiting for a minute or two, the issue goes away temporarily, until after a few minutes, it will suddenly appear again (each time on a different instance of the plugin, and only on new recordings).

This is a huge issue for me when doing live looping. All other sound is fine (coming from microphone, even with effects added, and when recording to and playing back from Ableton's clip slots), so I suspect it must be the plugin itself.

Is there a hard or soft limit on how many instances can/should be used at the same time? My computer has more than enough RAM (32gb) and CPU usage reported by Ableton is below 20%. Increasing the audio buffer size (using ASIO4All drivers on Win10) doesn't solve the issue either unfortunately.

Any help in solving this would be greatly appreciated.

There shouldn't be a limit on the number of instances.

What do you have the Max Delay set to?

Is the distorted output total noise, or a noisy version of the loop?

The Max Delay is set to 10 seconds and the output is a noisy version of the loop.

OK. Which plug-in version?

Version 2.5.1

Could you send a recording?

I am having a similar-ish issue with AL, 2.5.1 on WIndows in BItwig. When I am running my setup with 3 instances after some amount of time they will start to drop out. After a lot of investigation I have been able to see the buffer in the tape view clearing instantaneously when this happens, getting a loud pop and then I see the play and record heads on the tape view snap to the right side of the display. The pop then repeats every time through the loop. It only happens after a couple minutes or more of playing loops and is inconsistent... but it always happens when they are looping. The loop times are all about 1 minute and my computer has 64GB of RAM and CPU use is < 5%. In my config I have everything pretty straightforward except dry set to 0, feedback set to 0 (I do the feedback with the Bitwig Delay plugin, putting AL in the feedback chain.) It should work and it does work for several minutes before this happens.

Could you capture a screengrab movie of the dropout?

I don’t know. You have to watch it for a long time and there’s no warning as to when it will happen. Let me try.

I let it run for two hours yesterday and no glitches. In the past it’s happened more than every five minutes. Perhaps a reboot clears the cause of it? I will record it as soon as it pops up again.

ok, I have captured a video. I hope you are able to help. This is happening now on a totally different windows installation as the first time and it is consistent. It happens every time I make a loop -- it takes longer to happen on longer loops, so it seems to have something to do with the number of repetitions. Sometimes only some of the loop is lost and the rest repeats for a while, and then more is lost and so on. I'm all about chance operation but this makes it so I can't use AL for my performances.

I tried to use Enso because AL isn't working but I really don't like it. Please help me figure out what is going on. Thanks.

Bitwig 4.0.2 + fresh DL of AL.

https://youtu.be/IRvE39yY_7s

Thanks, I'll look into it. In the meantime, are you able to try any other DAWs? E.g. Live, Reaper, anything with a free demo.

For what it's worth, I can't get it to do this, in Bitwig 4.01 with AL 2.5.1. Seems to quite happily loop forever.

So there must be something different about your setup, but what that is, I'm not sure.

It does not happen in Live 11.

I have had the same issue across two Windows 10 installs: different hardware, fresh OS install, fresh install of AL.

Is there any way to see what is happening?

I have BW set up to never suspend AL, I've done everything that I can think of.

deleted.
Last edited by n9n on Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”