Drum Masters & OWD Community Support Thread

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Moved from the other "tour" interactive manual thread....
blueman wrote:I just wanna know one thing...

If I buy the Roland TD-4 kit will it work in "VDRUM" mode or not? Sounds like it only works with the TD-20 kit. That would be a bummer. Has anyone tried this mode with other Roland eDrums?

Thx
Let's try to keep that thread less about discussions, opinions etc. (plenty of other threads for that like this) and stay focused on the educational aspect. It is a new kind of thread in our company forum and one that is more for learning how to use the product (like a more friendly "manual" or elaborate tutorial). Of course it is for those who want to know all that can be done with it.

There is in many cases the ability to just plug-in and go. No one ever said you'd have to learn all of the above before you could just use this product. These are the in depth details in a guided tour of the interface. Worth knowing IMO but optional for the most part. If one is talking about compatibility with every e-Drum kit, while there are many advanced options in this, there would still be some set up work to do. It's not realistic to expect it to automatically work with everything right out of the box - or at least this is not something we can offer.

I don't know the answer to your specific question except that ALL you would have to do is make ONE patch on the TD-4 have the pads send the same midi data as what the V-Drums mode responds to (which is going to be updated above with both info and graphic) and then it would absolutely work just fine after that. You wouldn't even HAVE to use the Custom mode at all. Everything can be done FROM the hardware unit itself by making one patch. So, knowing that I think you're safe to get a TD-4 or ANY hardware e-kit for that matter. At some point one has to know enough about their hardware and software to get it to talk to each other. There is a learning curve for this advanced technology but there's no question that it's worth it. Otherwise people would just be happy with the internal sounds of hardware units. Some are, but those that are turned onto the world of samples and virtual instruments have even wider possibilities.

No problem movin' the post Squids ;) Ha! My post probably came across as complaining but I was really only curious about whether or not the TD-4 is a worthwhile investment with these kits. Anyway, no need to defend the product or the fact that a learning curve is required. I get that!

The "tour" thread was just a LOT to take in but that's probably a good thing for those looking for that sort of detail. Ahh well, I'm a show me don't tell me kinda guy I guess. I'll just hang out for the videos.

Sometimes, I like to dig in to the manual and learn all the features but with the version 2 update I was hoping to do more playing that tweaking. Either way, I'll work it out :)

Playing vs. tweaking is not mutually exclusive. Just because you CAN tweak more in this doesn't mean you have to. But I think overall people would rather have more features designed to do more things for more situations than to have it simple and basic. But, really, for the most part you can just load up the three main formats - IMAP, GM or V-DRUM and any e-Kit you have you can just set a patch up ONCE on the kit to correspond to either of those three. It's not much to have to do really if you think about it. Then you can JUST play after that if you want. But, good to know that there are options for tweaking should you ever want or need to.

There will also be video demonstrations which may perhaps be easier to grasp than long posts of mass amount of information like that. I still think it is useful to have on line though in a way where people can ask specific questions for clarification.

Squids wrote:...or to give feedback saying "yes, that was helpful!".
I haven't read it yet, but on first glance I'd say "yes, that was helpful!". I saw your spotlight in the image of convolution reverb and realized that I could audition the other impulse responses just by pressing those arrows. That's very useful.

I had figured that out already with regards to switching drum kit pieces when you have alternates in the same folder, so now I am storing all my kit piece variations in sub folders like "ringo snares", or "favorite cymbals" so that I can quickly audition my options with those arrow keys when changing a kit piece. Love it.
Somewhere in the background zedd

Squids wrote:...(let's try to keep that thread just for people's questions about how things work, not for other things like opinions about an interactive tutorial/manual).
Yeah... it would be great if any questions posted were edited like DarkStar did in the GB vital info thread, so that they only appear in the context of an answer that will immediately follow them in the same post.

I think the idea of on online tour/manual is fantastic. Add video tutorials to that thread over time and it will be a great resource. It will become even more useful if you create a TABLE OF CONTENTS section right at the beginning with the basic topics listed and linked directly to the post where that particular topic is covered. If you start building it this way now, it will continue to be manageable for you, as it develops, and for the users trying to find things that may be spread out over many pages.

[Moved from the Vital Info thread]
Squids wrote:In the meantime here's a taste of some iMap Midi Grooves for FREE to anyone who uses Sonic Reality iMap Drums (whether you were in the Group Buy or not). Enjoy!

http://www.sonicreality.com/squidscorne ... s_FREE.zip
blueman wrote:What are the BPMs for "Slow Jamz" and "Fast Jamz"?

Thx
Squids wrote:Since it is midi there aren't any. Sometimes we'll put the BPMs of what it was recorded at to get an idea. But really they can be played at any BPM you want. It's midi!
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

zedd wrote:
I think the idea of on online tour/manual is fantastic. Add video tutorials to that thread over time and it will be a great resource. It will become even more useful if you create a TABLE OF CONTENTS section right at the beginning with the basic topics listed and linked directly to the post where that particular topic is covered. If you start building it this way now, it will continue to be manageable for you, as it develops, and for the users trying to find things that may be spread out over many pages.
Yes, I was thinking about that part. Good idea. The questions part can be a sort of FAQ if I can keep it organized. But I will have to moderate and move "discussion" and "opinionated comments" to a split off thread or something. I want it to stay a resource that can be followed. That's the challenging part.

We're also in the process of doing something like this on our actual web site but a little less "loose" there and more formal but a similar Blog/interactive concept. We'll see. It's a lot of extra work but we want people to be able to benefit from the "how to" and "tips and tricks". There are some really helpful tips in there and we never know what some people know and don't know so we have to just keep covering it all.

We'll add the videos and I may even add un-narrated videos with just the audio of the product being played for speed and I bet those too will be helpful. The more polished narrated videos will also be coming but they require more in the editing. I am still working out who does what here at the SR studio when it comes to video production.

Squids wrote:Since it is midi there aren't any. Sometimes we'll put the BPMs of what it was recorded at to get an idea. But really they can be played at any BPM you want. It's midi!
Squids! I find it useful to know the BPM. Am I the only one? Of course, midi can move up or down in tempo but there definitely is a sweet spot where the groove was recorded at. Some midi grooves start to sound strange when you venture too far above or below the recorded tempo. Sure, I can guess and experiment all in good fun but why not have an idea. Oh well... I was just curious anyway.

Squids wrote:Playing vs. tweaking is not mutually exclusive. Just because you CAN tweak more in this doesn't mean you have to. But I think overall people would rather have more features designed to do more things for more situations than to have it simple and basic. But, really, for the most part you can just load up the three main formats - IMAP, GM or V-DRUM and any e-Kit you have you can just set a patch up ONCE on the kit to correspond to either of those three. It's not much to have to do really if you think about it. Then you can JUST play after that if you want. But, good to know that there are options for tweaking should you ever want or need to.

There will also be video demonstrations which may perhaps be easier to grasp than long posts of mass amount of information like that. I still think it is useful to have on line though in a way where people can ask specific questions for clarification.
I actually liked your "manual" post and the pictures were useful. In one sitting, it's just a lot to take in. Whew!

I understand your point about "playing vs. tweaking". That's where the user interface has to do its job to make things immediately accessible (i.e. "easy") and yet, have power under the hood when it's needed or asked for. For the most part, the DM2/Kontakt UI does that. The "multis" make it very easy. I was only trying to clarify if the "VDRM" mode is for TD-20 models only? And, that it would be good to hear from others what their experiences have been using their own eDrum kits.

blueman wrote: I understand your point about "playing vs. tweaking". That's where the user interface has to do its job to make things immediately accessible (i.e. "easy") and yet, have power under the hood when it's needed or asked for. For the most part, the DM2/Kontakt UI does that. The "multis" make it very easy. I was only trying to clarify if the "VDRM" mode is for TD-20 models only? And, that it would be good to hear from others what their experiences have been using their own eDrum kits.
Here's also a good place for that: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Looked in my members area for the squidimidi files and the global update 2, but the cupboard was bare. Am I just too early, or looking in the wrong place (like should I be looking on the Sonic Reality site or downloadablesoundz)?

tropicalontour wrote:Looked in my members area for the squidimidi files and the global update 2, but the cupboard was bare. Am I just too early, or looking in the wrong place (like should I be looking on the Sonic Reality site or downloadablesoundz)?
Tuesday now. We're doing a final run through with V-Drums on Monday. Found some things when we did the John Blackwell midi sessions. Should be good to go on Tuesday.

tropicalontour wrote:Looked in my members area for the squidimidi files and the global update 2, but the cupboard was bare. Am I just too early, or looking in the wrong place (like should I be looking on the Sonic Reality site or downloadablesoundz)?
I was checking also..I thought I was looking in the wrong spot..lets hope it's Tuesday and not TUESNIGHT..I cant wait to check these midi grooves out, fun to play along to!!

Okies. Will check Wednesday in this time zone.

Squids wrote:
Tuesday now. We're doing a final run through with V-Drums on Monday. Found some things when we did the John Blackwell midi sessions. Should be good to go on Tuesday.
I spent several hours this morning going through the GB drumkits and I took note of the following issues. Hopefully these can all be addressed in the upcoming global update:

DM2 CHICAGO STm Kit
--Ghost Snare same level as regular snares (Bb1)
--Missing Snare Edge Extra (D1)
--Missing Hi-hat Open Extra (C#1)
--black and white Instrument background the looks like TV noise. Is that the way it is suppose to look?

DM2 JB SESSION STm Kit
Level problems with snare and hi-hat articulations in IMAP

DM2 NDV MAPX BLSTK STm Kit
Kits make no sound (whole kit is silent in all IMAP, GM and VDRM versions)

DM2 NDV PREM MED STm Kit IMAP
has all Prem Amb kit pieces (i.e. no Med kit pieces)

LUDWG JAZZ STm Kit
missing alternate snares (center and edge)
also missing the .tga image file

Several DM2 kits were also missing the C#1 hi-hat open special/extra in the IMAP kits. Not sure whether this was intentional or not. Chicago Kit and Doctor Nirvana are a couple of examples.

Also a bunch of OWD kits with rimshots that are too loud, and DM2 kits with ghost snares which are the same volume as other snares. I modified these manually for myself, but you might want to fix some of them in the patch update for everyone.

Hope that helps. :-)

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”