Infinite Player w/ Alesis Trigger io and the Hi Hat

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Got the Neil Peart drums downloaded and installed yesterday and had a few minutes to hack around on the e-drums with them, awesome sounding samples... had to mess with my mappings a bit, but that was to be expected.

OK... so now to the Hi Hat... I cannot figure out for the life of me how to handle the setup / mapping to be able to use the pedal to control the open and close sounds, basically the pedal is doing absolutely nothing even though I see that the trigger io is seeing that the pedal is being moved up and down (activity light flashes on the LED panel flashes as I move the pedal).

I am brand new to using Infinite Player, so I am just hoping this is me not having a clue on what I am doing versus something that cannot be done. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
--Rob.

i have a trigger i/o, though it has its limitations... anyways, i'm assuming you know how to set a midi note. if so, the trigger io has a way to set separate note numbers for closed, open, and foot chik sounds. You should be able to at least get that working.

if you want a continuously variable hihat - not sure. I don't have neal peart, but dm2, and for that one it's a little tricky iirc, you have to be in vdrums mode for starters. More than that, I'll have to defer for now - i've only had my drum kit a grand total of two days and am still dialing in it before i take on setting up the variable hihat with DM2 (it works with live session drums at least, so far). In general, you want to set open/closed hat to the same note, and then hopefully it recognizes CC4 to do the variations.

Hey Squids, can you give some more information on what the hihat scripts are expecting to see? I'm trying to get the 'mid' thing on the trigger IO working as described in the group buy threads, and not getting it to work. I am sending CC4 for hihat control and note 46 (open hihat) for the hihat through the whole range. I get open and closed, but nothing in between, no matter what I set the mid/open threshold to. Maybe there's something else I'm missing because I'm not using a roland head?

Anyways, if you can tell me a little more about what the scripts want and what that mid/open switch actually does, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Does this help? From the Drum Masters 2 manual (Neil Peart kit might have its own manual):

Hihat Instruments in V-Drum Mode:
When any HiHat Instrument is put into the V-Drum Mapping Mode you will see a Settings" button which does not appear in other Mapping panels.

Click on this "Settings" button to reveal the V-Drum Hi-Hat sample range settings. Here you have a Closed Range Start/End, Mid Range Start/End, Open Range Start/End. They are accompanied by On/Off buttons for each. There is also a Mid/Open Switch point knob. We suggest you turn all Ranges on or off. If they are turned off your Hi-hat will be using the regular envelopes settings from the envelope panel.

The V-Drum Hi-Hat responds to V-Drum TD-20 Hihat controllers automatically.

In addition, although it is not required, there are settings for advanced users to fine-tune the performance of your Hi-Hat. Note that controller message 4 (CC4) sends the Open to closed message in the TD-20 (fully open HH with send velocity 0 a fully closed HH will send velocity 127).

Closed Range:
This controls the release times according to CC4 of the closed group of samples.
Suggested settings: Start = 188.7, End = 1.1

Mid Range:
This controls the release times according to CC4 of the half open group of samples.
Suggested settings: Start = 98.7, End = 919.9

Open Range:
This controls the release times according to CC4 of the fully open group of samples.
Suggested settings: Start = 484.7, End = 3.0k

Mid / Open:
This controls the switch point between the mid and open range samples. This is
also determined by CC4.

Note: When working with a V-Drum Hi-Hat an "extra key" MUST be assigned for the "Inside - Closed" articulation. This is important because the v-drum mapping calls from the "extra key" samples. If no "extra key" samples are assigned, the VDrum Hi-Hat will not work properly.

--------
If you haven't got the manual, it's available here:
http://www.sonicreality.com/support/
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

that's what I'm doing, and yet I don't ever hear anything between the closed and open samples. I think the CC is sending correctly, because it does move between the open and closed samples, but never get the middle. It looks like it's supposed to vary the release time to basically create a shorter open splash for the mid, but I don't see that either.

Anyways, I guess it works OK for what I'm doing now. It sounds good, but if I use Ableton Session drums for instance (doesn't sound quite as good but pretty close) I get 5 layers on the hihat for different sounds from open to closed. I'm still an amateur drummer, so I think 2 layers is enough for me if necessary, but i'd like to get the most out of this.

Are you able to get a more continuous hi-hat sound with edrums there?

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”