Imogen Heap's Box of Tricks

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
31523 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:45 am

http://www.soniccouture.com/en/products ... of-tricks/

this looks so awesome - I have wanted a successor to Scriptorium forever and this looks just the thing plus a heck of a lot more

instant sale for me

Doug1978
KVRAF
2037 posts since 19 Jun, 2011 from a world of Black Thunder chocs

Re: Imogen Heap's Box of Tricks

Post Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:00 am

Yep, it looks brilliant.

Good value for money too, given the quality and diversity of instrument options.

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
31523 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Re: Imogen Heap's Box of Tricks

Post Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:21 am

I've made a template for anyone who wants to import this into NI Komplete Kontrol (and presumably also Maschine)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3dy6lc7rwoddv ... s.zip?dl=0

Just unzip this folder to \Users\Shared\NI Resources\image\Box of Tricks (On Mac- You'll have to work it out for Windows)

Doug1978
KVRAF
2037 posts since 19 Jun, 2011 from a world of Black Thunder chocs

Re: Imogen Heap's Box of Tricks

Post Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:43 am

Great stuff :tu:

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
31523 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Re: Imogen Heap's Box of Tricks

Post Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:40 pm

Some beautiful instruments (almost worth it just for the sublime Vocal pad) but a couple of niggles

- the scales available in the Harmoniser should really match the scales in the Jammer - in some instruments both scripts are present but it's not always possible to match scales.

and the Cello is a bit disappointing
Last edited by aMUSEd on Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
31523 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Re: Imogen Heap's Box of Tricks

Post Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:43 pm

dp

soniccouture
KVRian
1001 posts since 6 Sep, 2005 from london

Re: Imogen Heap's Box of Tricks

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:28 am

aMUSEd wrote:Some beautiful instruments (almost worth it just for the sublime Vocal pad) but a couple of niggles

- the scales available in the Harmoniser should really match the scales in the Jammer - in some instruments both scripts are present but it's not always possible to match scales.

and the Cello is a bit disappointing

Hi,
I'll look into the scales comment with Dan, hopefully that should be possible.

re: Cello - we do stress it is not a conventional cello! it's how she uses it, and how she herself played it in the studio.. it's basically an effect to be layered in a track, she likes the harmonics from it. You can't do a Bach cello solo with it!

James

soniccouture
KVRian
1001 posts since 6 Sep, 2005 from london

Re: Imogen Heap's Box of Tricks

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:04 am

Jammer can limit pitch in many, many ways that Harmoniser cannot. You can set Jammer to a single pitch for instance.

So it is always possible to match the Jammer scale to the Harmoniser, because the Jammer scale is freely configurable and can have any number of notes in it. You don't have to use those preset scales -- you can LEARN a scale from MIDI or click on the notes you want to include or exclude.

We can't make the Harmoniser scale freely configurable because it needs scales of a specific size and types to keep track of root position and scale degrees, therefore you can ONLY use preset scales.

If by chance you simply don't know what a Harmoniser scale preset actually means -- ie. "what the hell is D# Locrian ? I want the Jammer in that too" -- turn the Jammer OFF, set the Harmoniser ON and to D# Locrian, turn all the knobs off except set one Note to "1". Then play each note chromatically from D# upwards listening to which notes have been changed. Any notes that have been altered simply need to be turned OFF in the Jammer. (Or maybe quicker, just Google "D# Locrian".)

Jammer doesn't care about scales or harmony at all, the pitch filter is simply that, a filter to include or exclude pitches from Jammer's output. Harmoniser must think in terms of an actual scale and harmony, therefore has a scale root pitch and scale type.

Hope this helps clear things up!

cheers
Dan
Soniccouture

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
31523 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Re: Imogen Heap's Box of Tricks

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:01 am

soniccouture wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Some beautiful instruments (almost worth it just for the sublime Vocal pad) but a couple of niggles

- the scales available in the Harmoniser should really match the scales in the Jammer - in some instruments both scripts are present but it's not always possible to match scales.

and the Cello is a bit disappointing

Hi,
I'll look into the scales comment with Dan, hopefully that should be possible.

re: Cello - we do stress it is not a conventional cello! it's how she uses it, and how she herself played it in the studio.. it's basically an effect to be layered in a track, she likes the harmonics from it. You can't do a Bach cello solo with it!

James
Thanks, I do realise that and was expecting more of an fx sound but I suppose I would like some more extended notes too, at least to use as drones, most of the playing is very short or even pizzicato.

soniccouture
KVRian
1001 posts since 6 Sep, 2005 from london

Re: Imogen Heap's Box of Tricks

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:11 am

The bowed + slide articulations are both looped, so that's pretty extended - i'm not sure what you have in mind.

James

User avatar
geronimo
KVRist
324 posts since 17 Oct, 2006 from Franche-Comté

Re: Imogen Heap's Box of Tricks

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:37 am

aMUSEd wrote: and the Cello is a bit disappointing
Have you installed the Snapshots ?
MacPro 2 X 3.06 GHz, D.P. 9.51 & Kontakt 5.8 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Clavier CamelSpace & CamelPhatt _ Alchemy & Explorer Loïc Le Pape
http://www.loiclepapesteelguitars.com/s ... article151

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
31523 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Re: Imogen Heap's Box of Tricks

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:40 am

Yes

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
31523 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Re: Imogen Heap's Box of Tricks

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:41 am

soniccouture wrote:The bowed + slide articulations are both looped, so that's pretty extended - i'm not sure what you have in mind.

James
OK I probably need to play with it some more, anyway overall this is a great library.

soniccouture
KVRian
1001 posts since 6 Sep, 2005 from london

Re: Imogen Heap's Box of Tricks

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:49 am

Yep!

Address all complaints to I.Heap, London, UK.

User avatar
murnau
KVRAF
5574 posts since 13 Jan, 2005 from the bottom of my heart

Re: Imogen Heap's Box of Tricks

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:56 am

soniccouture wrote:Yep!

Address all complaints to I.Heap, London, UK.
Is that sarcasm? :D
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Return to “Soniccouture”