Question: releasing in beta status

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is that ok? Because it has gotten way to obvious that I won't have the needed time to optimize my entry. And if it is ok, what's the take upon releasing updates after the deadline? Will I have to wait with releasing updated, optimized version until after the voting? I get it if I do :)
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

My personal opinion is that it should be ok to release updates. I mean ok it's a competition but it's all about the best freeware. Why should there be limitations that possibly make products less than they could've been?

And releasing an early version is likely gonna hurt the developer anyway. So it's not a very good way to score extra votes. And no, I'm not just saying that cause our entry is a bug infested monster ;)

/Majken

Majken wrote: And no, I'm not just saying that cause our entry is a bug infested monster ;)
So I'm not alone in releasing something a bit premature then (working on my entry right now, not exactly the right time to have stuff left to fix...)? :) Mine is more of a CPU munching monster though.
Stefan H Singer

Well, mine is ridiculously low on cpu. I have the weird feeling that I have forgotten something :-|

Now seriously, so much commercial software is being released in beta state, you shouldn't have a bad conscience when it requires an 1.01 update to get to where you want it to!

;) Urs

i forgot to mention that VST is a trademark of steinberg in my VST...ooops!
ohwell,..

my entry is forever a beta, <wink>

releasing in beta status is fine :)

but for your sake i'd say update quickly before you get voted on the beta. ;)

i cannot guarantee the upload will be available at kvr so it might end up being your responsibility. however, i will create a thread where updates can be announced by entrants. i will do my best to create awareness for any updates.

XGmode wrote:i forgot to mention that VST is a trademark of steinberg in my VST...ooops!
ohwell,..
ehm. ooops on my behalf as well :)
Stefan H Singer

stefancrs wrote:
XGmode wrote:i forgot to mention that VST is a trademark of steinberg in my VST...ooops!
ohwell,..
i'm reporting. :hihi:

stefancrs wrote:
ohwell,..
You only have to mention it in the about-box. If your plugin doesn't have an about-box, you don't need to mention it, as the a-b isn't mandatory 8)

However, it should be mentioned on the website, in the manual and/or the license agreement then :)

Cheers,

;) Urs

Urs wrote:
stefancrs wrote:
ohwell,..
You only have to mention it in the about-box. If your plugin doesn't have an about-box, you don't need to mention it, as the a-b isn't mandatory 8)

However, it should be mentioned on the website, in the manual and/or the license agreement then :)

Cheers,

;) Urs
But I have NONE of the above! :)
I'll probably write some kind of a manual though, it's most likely needed for my entry.
Stefan H Singer

Yeah, manuals aren't bad. Mocked up mine in 2 hours. I guess it's just too cheesy and simple to need a more comprehensive manual...

mine isn't a VST, <grin>

liqih wrote:mine isn't a VST, <grin>
:-o

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”