DC09 Wishlist

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's my 2 cents. How about dividing the prize money between platforms?

One way to do it would be to divide the prize money equally between platforms. This could encourage development for less popular ones, as there would most likely be less competition there - but the obvious drawback would be that the same prize would be given for winning an easy category with lets say two entries as a hard one with e.g. 50.

The other way would be to divide the prize money according to the number of entries for each platform, but it could discourage development for less popular platforms.

A good way of dividing the money would probably lie somewhere in between with a fraction of the money divided equally per category and the rest proportionally to the number of entries in each category.

With this way of splitting the prize money, votes should be counted separately for each platform. Each vote for a cross platform plugin would be counted for all platforms it supports (a bonus for creating cross platform plugs). A cross platform plugin could win in more than one platform category and would receive a sum of prizes assigned for the categories.
the the impotence of proofreading

kx77free wrote::shock: I do not want any PAYWARES than REAKTOR in a FREEWARE challenge!
I understand you. The thing is not so Reaktor only users can use the plugin. But rather so that the normal users can use the VST plugin.

But what about the people who uses ProTools? Reaktor comes in an RTAS version that runs in ProTools. What about them Sonar users that is forced to use DirectX plugins? Reaktor comes in a DX version that runs in Sonar, Sound Forge etc etc that only supports DirectX plugins. What about the people who run on Mac under Logic? The same thing applies here. Reaktor runs on Macintosh as VST and can therefor be used there as well.

Instead of narrowmindedly thinking VST and Windows/Mac VST only, I prefer to think way outside the box: By allowing VST developers who OWNS Reaktor to create a Reaktor version of their plugin they actually will gain votes from other platform users that also owns Reaktor that won't get the chance to test the plugin otherwise. Get my point?
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

I would enter the contest even if the prize money was split evenly to every participant, or even if there was no prize money. Isn't it about taking part and celebrating the freeware scene?

Any prize money is a bonus, but not an incentive for the many SE and SM freeware devs to go buy a mac and learn to program C++

I'm all for rewarding those who do give away freeware, on whatever platform, especially those who do not have any payware offers.

Seriously, why not split 50% of the prize evenly to all 'freeware-only' devs and the other 50% to the top 3 finishers, whatever category or platform?

de la Mancha wrote:I would enter the contest even if the prize money was split evenly to every participant, or even if there was no prize money. Isn't it about taking part and celebrating the freeware scene?

Any prize money is a bonus, but not an incentive for the many SE and SM freeware devs to go buy a mac and learn to program C++

I'm all for rewarding those who do give away freeware, on whatever platform, especially those who do not have any payware offers.

Seriously, why not split 50% of the prize evenly to all 'freeware-only' devs and the other 50% to the top 3 finishers, whatever category or platform?
++

hi,

The freeware development problems are:

A lot users don't uses freewares, they ignore the freeware products.
Why they use them if they can use a payware or a cracked payware?
And when they test a freeware they want the same kind of things of theirs usual plugins.
or some people think: "it's a freeware, it's a s..."
And you know the marketing noise, it's not possible for a little freeware dev to communicate about its products without external help.

That's why the DC is a good thing for us because the majority people who vote are freeware users!

I'm all for rewarding those who do give away freeware, on whatever platform, especially those who do not have any pay ware offers.
I agree

I will not pay a Mac just to develop for the Mac users...

The majority of the SE and SM devs don't have money with theirs products and they have a busy life and they must live with another job.

If you mix them with some professional C++ dev who want use the DC to promote their payware products, it will be the end of the Dc spirit.

SM and SE are good for all guys who have a good idea and want experiment quickly the result.

The time of the DC limits the possibility to present some very big c++ projects but it's very good for little things with a new concept.

Xavier

I would like to see some freeware from the top payware devs also. BUT totally FREE. NOT some stupid cripple ware garbage. Bonafide freeware. Like U-he's Triple Cheese from DC 06'.

Of course to be fair keep the votes SEPERATE from the freeware devs. So Mr. Popular payware dev cannot trump Mr. Unkown freeware dev.

Maybe 50% of the prize money to the winning commercial dev and the other 50% to the freeware dev. And divide the 50% from each category between 1st, 2nd 3rd,etc..

Just some thoughts/suggestionz.

No matter how u do it, the freeware scene and all of us who get the goodies are the real winners. :D :P :D

Bring on the DC :clap: :clap: :party: :party: :-o :-o
KVR >Gear Slutz! Change my mind! :clap:

A delay plug-in with a VST wrapper, that would load VST's itself, and place them inside the feedback loop of the delay - thusly creating a very simple delay with the most vast delay possibilities imaginable.

The Chase wrote:A delay plug-in with a VST wrapper, that would load VST's itself, and place them inside the feedback loop of the delay - thusly creating a very simple delay with the most vast delay possibilities imaginable.
ehm, pardon? :oops:
"For some reason everyone on this site hates Roger Nichols, loves Zebra, doesn't need a Virus (unless it's TI), uses Reaper, and thinks the Kaoss pad is cool: remember these rules and you'll be popular." (blackboyrockinit)

The Chase wrote:A delay plug-in with a VST wrapper, that would load VST's itself, and place them inside the feedback loop of the delay - thusly creating a very simple delay with the most vast delay possibilities imaginable.
Heh, I've had this very same idea in my head for some two years now... if only I wasn't too lazy to actually create a working mini VST host for this :roll: ;)

You can put any plugin you want on the feedback path when you create a feedback loop manually e.g. in eXT using senderella + voxengo audio delay. It works, but is rather messy, so I surely wouldn't mind a dedicated plugin doing this.
the the impotence of proofreading

That's what I loved about Tracktions rack filters; you could do crazy stuff like that without it really getting in the way of the regular tracking functionality.

Shame it all went wonky...

But I'm OT now so I'll shut it.

One prize that maybe would be a cool one is if a famous preset creator would create a bank for the winner.
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

What's the actual status of DC'09???

don't worry. it's still happening. starts in January. :)

Someone should make something like this, It's a very good idea:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/467.html

An all in one track plug... but not suck like that one

I would like to see a professional classical midi arp/sequencer vsti that have much useful standard sequence patterns(like Tangerine Dream, Karftwerk, Klaus Schulze, Electro style....).
So far as I know there is no such tool in the market.
The existing arp/sequencers vsti are in my opinion not the best solution.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”