Kamioka review

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Easily the nicest-looking synth in the competition - a plain industrial black TRUE modular. I was getting a little peeved at the swaying cables, but then I found that little dial on the lower right that de-highlights them.

Like I said, it's a true modular in that you can select and use any of 7 modules in any order that works for you. It might seem daunting, but if you just dive on in programming from the examples prided, you can get the hang of it pretty fast. It's principles are pretty much the same as the old modulars of my yout.

It has decent analog-style sound quality. The presets demonstrate the basics pretty well. The 8-step sequencers are excellent. And it syncs to host - a real biggie for me. There a huge range of modulation routings that can be explored.

A couple things, probably picky. The display is just too hard to read. The symbols for waveforms and other stuff on the panels need to be brightened up by at least 10%. If this is to be a recreation of the 60s-70s modulars, the chorus and delay are inappropriate. Consider a spring reverb module instead. And I would like to see the developer take a cold hard look at that filter. I could use MORE (can't describe what I want other than a beefier filtered sound).

I am having a lot of fun with this and I think that this could be a marketable commercial product. I recommend this.

Top 5.

SODDI wrote: It has decent analog-style sound quality.
Really struggling to find the appropriate emoticon for this.

Suggestions, anyone?
None of the really dumb people I knew when I was young are young any more.

This maybe? :D

But to be honest I don't find the sound that digital either.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”