TimeDomain: EpiCentre Support

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
KVRian

Topic Starter

1085 posts since 8 Feb, 2012 from South - Africa

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:55 am

S-N-S wrote:hi ichad

yes that would be ok with me,im interested in trying this out:)
Cool, will have this done by the end of the day.

KVRAF
7111 posts since 17 Feb, 2005

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:56 am

Ichad.c wrote:
camsr wrote:CPU use is a bit high, just having it loaded is about 7% here.
That doesn't seem right, the worst figure I got from a betatester was 4% - on an oldish AMD, on my i5-2400 @ 3.1GHz and in Ableton I can't get it over 2%. Does the CPU decrease when the GUI screen is closed? Might sound like an odd question - but when the GUI is closed and there is an input of zero, the plugin should deativate itself after a while(the time it takes depends on effect - some are dynamic internally, so the buffers need to settle). There is some more CPU saving stuff that I'll implement later on but would probably only shave off 10% or so...except if I switch some stuff to use AVX instead of SSE2 - though it's support on AMD isn't broad - mileage will vary per effect though.

If I might ask - what DAW are you using? And what *specific* CPU? Soundcard? Maybe - if the DAW isn't too big, I can download a demo to see what is going on.

Anybody else getting high - i.e. over 5% CPU?
camsr wrote: The In and Out knobs (or at least I think they are)? I think the right knob was changing distortion character slightly looking at it on oscilloscope.
The top three knobs change their function depending on what algorithm is used, internally they are just x,y,z. Hover your mouse over them - a tooltip should appear to tell you what it is currently assigned to :wink:
Okay checked again, sorry for being hasteful, windows task manager showed 2% usage, FL's meters showed 7%, with the default patch and no audio (foldback).

Some kind of rundown of the algorithms would be awesome. Cheers!

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:37 am

camsr wrote: Okay checked again, sorry for being hasteful, windows task manager showed 2% usage, FL's meters showed 7%, with the default patch and no audio (foldback).
Ahh, FL Studio - it's a fun DAW but a weird beast. But I've heard about this before in DC'12. Only certain versions seem to do this(don't ask wich - it seems erratic), I bet if you load another instance of EpiCentre the CPU won't go to 14%, it would probably be around 9%... As for idling CPU - enable the "smart disable" function, and in compatibility -> enable "use fixed size buffers". That should help a bit, might need to restart the project though.
camsr wrote: Some kind of rundown of the algorithms would be awesome. Cheers!
Is the descriptions of the first page of this thread not enough?...dang -> I have to write a manual then.

P.S. Seems I messed up the tooltips - everything under 'P Driver' is wrong :oops: Will fix ASAP!

KVRian
1058 posts since 9 Apr, 2012

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:28 am

Ichad.c wrote:... P.S. The 1x German name and 1x Afrikaans name is to represent me and Halma's countries, in unity and co-operation. ...
:tu:

Just some quick tips on EpiCentre:

- you can use the EQ alone if MIX -> fully right (dry)

- General usage: if you wanna use it the "brave mans way" start with a 100% wet signal. Turn the GAIN full counterclockwise before doing that. The signals can become very loud pretty fast so it might be a good idea to use a BRICKWALL LIMITER. Some modes need more GAIN than others. Always start with LOWER VALUES.

- Drums: set MIX to fully right and adjust the TEQs, choose one of the Distortion modes and start blending it in via turning the mix knob slowly counter clockwise, adjust the rest until everything sounds fine (works great with all distortion & clipper modes, but mostly everything works). Often only a tad of the wet signal is enough to "fatten up" your signal.

- If your DAW supports PARAMETER AUTOMATION with LFOs and/or ENVs/ENV FOLLOWERs dial in the LP12 CC (a lowpass filter) and map it to the FILTER CUT OFF. Have fun. :)

- the COS modes worked great on 303 sounds for me

Regards
Sebastian
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

KVRian
1055 posts since 28 May, 2003 from world

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:29 am

Thanks for the plugin.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:43 am

Ichad.c wrote:
S-N-S wrote:hi ichad

yes that would be ok with me,im interested in trying this out:)
Cool, will have this done by the end of the day.
As promised, a seperate version that is compatible with Mixbus 2.5:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0zqKT ... sp=sharing

Just click - >File->download.

Things to note - this version is exactly the same as the regular version, same name/ID. Should be patch compatible too (when I get to doing patches that is...)

Just delete the old version(and its associated files) before replacing it with this one.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:47 am

New Version avalaible: Version1.0.3.

Bugfix - Low TEQ slider was inverted.
Bugfix - Tooltips work in the correct order now.

Direct Download via KVR:

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/epicentre-by-td

Regards
Andrew

KVRist
424 posts since 4 Jul, 2006 from Sweden

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:11 pm

Great for spicing up basses. I would prefer though that instead of tooltips there would be dynamic labels for the knobs. There are so many different modes so it would speed up things a little bit.
It's a diverse plugin that could be useful when you want add some FX to a sound but don't know what kind.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:28 pm

Xenobioz wrote:Great for spicing up basses.
Glad you like it!
Xenobioz wrote: I would prefer though that instead of tooltips there would be dynamic labels for the knobs.
Halma also suggested that too, but we ran out of time, we changed to GUI version3 a week before deadline. Though - nothing stops us from doing this post DC'14, also has some new meters/lights that Halma sent a couple days ago.

Think I could also add a couple more algorithms post DC'14 too, without breaking patch-compatibility. Needs more modulation type stuff...

P.S. The old 'un-used' GUI will be used for a compressor project that has been on the back-burner since DC'14, finally have time to finish it now. Though bug-fixes and patches for EpiCentre still has priority.

KVRAF
7111 posts since 17 Feb, 2005

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:42 pm

Having followed your instructions, but using FL's cpu meter: flv10 x86, intel q9450, vista x64, using directsound! for optical out from onboard soundcard.

CPU use does not appear to decrease when gui is closed
Fixed size buffer has no impact
Launching another instance in series doubles CPU use as reported in FL, and in task manager, tried it also with 4 in series, same thing.
Still reporting less CPU use in the task manager, around 2% per instance. Maybe it's just my setup!

KVRAF
2496 posts since 2 Jan, 2008 from denmark

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:24 am

hi

just tried the new version in mixbus,it works really really well,really good job on this one:)

anyway you could make this available as 64bit too?

KVRian
1058 posts since 9 Apr, 2012

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:11 am

S-N-S wrote:hi

just tried the new version in mixbus,it works really really well,really good job on this one:)

Iirc the code he used can (and will) be used in 64bit applications later on but right now it is 32bit only.

Btw would be interesting to know the CPU usage inside mixbus.

Regards
Sebastian
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

KVRAF
2496 posts since 2 Jan, 2008 from denmark

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:48 am

loaded epi in a mix im finishing today,just loaded 1 instance on the master(not appropiate i know,but just for testing)
epicentre in mixbus 2.5.jpg

witout playing the dsp is around 35-36 %
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:53 am

S-N-S wrote:loaded epi in a mix im finishing today,just loaded 1 instance on the master(not appropiate i know,but just for testing)
witout playing the dsp is around 35-36 %
Holy mother of fudge, that can't be right! Is this a specific effect type or all of them? CPU? Soundcard?

Here is what I get i5-2400 @ 3.1kHz, samplerate 48kHz, 256 sample buffer, Focusrite Pro40 souncard. -> with nothing loaded - mixbus idles on 9% (kinda heavy...) , and with EpiCentre loaded, the max I get is 11.5%, some effect types go as low a 10.3%....

Kinda perplexed as to how this is possible, denormals are the only thing that can create such a huge CPU difference, but my plug sets the correct SSE DAZ & FTZ flags internally so this should not happen....

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:09 am

Halma wrote:
S-N-S wrote:hi

Iirc the code he used can (and will) be used in 64bit applications later on but right now it is 32bit only.

Btw would be interesting to know the CPU usage inside mixbus.

Regards
Sebastian
Yip, my personal codebase is already 100% 64bit compatible. Would take a whole 25seconds to compile :hyper: Just waiting for the bugs in SE1.2 64bit to get ironed out, the new and cross compatible GUI system is very *fresh*. It's my mission to get a 64bit plug out before the end of the year.

A mac-version will only appear if a 64bit MAC somehow falls out of the sky - for a very low price (foreign exchange rates are killer).

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2021”