TimeDomain: EpiCentre Support

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
KVRAF
2838 posts since 3 May, 2003 from Germany

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:54 pm

Thanks a lot for the plug!

I like the GUI - and still have to discover all the possibilities, the functions given under the pulldown-menue. Lots of fun so far.
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music is not meaningless...we just have to do it

KVRian
1058 posts since 9 Apr, 2012

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:32 pm

thomekk wrote:...I like the GUI...
Thank you. :)
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

KVRAF
2641 posts since 30 Mar, 2007 from In and Out Burger

Post Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:56 am

Clips all sound in FL Studio 11. Loaded and unloaded numerous times.
[Insert Signature Here]

KVRian

Topic Starter

1085 posts since 8 Feb, 2012 from South - Africa

Post Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:06 am

bailees7irish wrote:Clips all sound in FL Studio 11. Loaded and unloaded numerous times.
Thanks for the bug-report!

Really odd, this is the 3rd FL Studio related issue, will download a demo over the weekend (internet is slow - need time) and see if I can reproduce some of the problems. Will report back ASAP!

Any other FL, or other DAW users having problems?

KVRian

Post Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:49 am

Because Andrew is going to have access to FL only in a few days I downloaded and installed it.

I have no clue about FL11 but I used a DNB drumloop from a musicradar sample package, loaded and triggered it via sampleplayer and used EpiCentre as an Insert FX.

I used the latest build (32bit) from their website. My rig is pretty oldschool (Intel Dualcore 2.5gHz & 2gig RAM, WinXPSP3 32bit).

I encountered neither clipping nor huge cpu consumption (tested @ 44.1kHz, 48kHz & 96kHz with stock bit settings). 99% of the time it was around 2% (Win Task Manager) so I guess it´s incl. FL performance. Though I had to raise my buffer @ 96kHz to avoid crackling.

@ bailees7irish: when you start fresh make sure that the GAIN knob is fully left (counterclockwise) for minimum input gain. You should also check that both TEQ are @ zero (middle position). And all three knobs should not set higher than 50% at first to avoid "overprocessing". What are your levels that are going into Epicenter? Andrew suggested -12db RMS/-6db Peak (I guess it´s dB VU so for dB FS -18dBFS RMS/-12dBFS Peak) because it is more or less calibrated at that level.

Regards
Sebastian

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:21 am

Halma wrote:Because Andrew is going to have access to FL only in a few days I downloaded and installed it.

I have no clue about FL11 but I used a DNB drumloop from a musicradar sample package, loaded and triggered it via sampleplayer and used EpiCentre as an Insert FX.

I used the latest build (32bit) from their website. My rig is pretty oldschool (Intel Dualcore 2.5gHz & 2gig RAM, WinXPSP3 32bit).

I encountered neither clipping nor huge cpu consumption (tested @ 44.1kHz, 48kHz & 96kHz with stock bit settings). 99% of the time it was around 2% (Win Task Manager) so I guess it´s incl. FL performance. Though I had to raise my buffer @ 96kHz to avoid crackling.
Thanks for the test Halma. Will still test as much DAWs(which aren't too big to download) this weekend just to make shure. Rather safe than sorry. Actually also busy with a build here that shaves of another 5% or so CPU, but can't release it now due the "rework" clause in the rules...

KVRian

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:56 pm

Hey Andrew,

"P Driver" GAIN seems to affect only the left input channel.

Regards
Sebastian

KVRAF
2641 posts since 30 Mar, 2007 from In and Out Burger

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:00 pm

Working fine in FL Studio 11 now. Not sure why, but an uninstall/reinstall and a restart of my computer did the trick. Great plug!!
[Insert Signature Here]

3ee
KVRAF
3821 posts since 8 Mar, 2006

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:15 pm

Got the problem occasionally too.

It's a special kind of clipping... like it shows a continuous sub freq bump on the spectrum while non-stop clipping. ... it's like a leak? crash or something.

Other than that, I was quite surprised by the decent to very nice sound quality of this plug, congrats!
I would be happy to see this plug developed further. (more solid design, a bit more flexibility) :)
One of my faves so far within the DC contest, good luck! :tu:

KVRAF
8019 posts since 2 Aug, 2005 from Guitar Land, USA

Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:09 am

The auto wah and twin filter ones are really good!
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

KVRian

Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:26 am

Because of the lacks of preset and a manual some more tips I have found out:

Some modes function best at 50% mix (eg Band Shift). Playing around with it for 20 minutes now. Pretty dope. And the Telebox fx works badass on vocals. Use it on some vocal loop right now and I am totally into low fi surf psych rockebilly sound. RingSting sounds funny on vocals too though it needs some finetuning.

Regards
sebastian

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:01 am

3ee wrote:Got the problem occasionally too.

It's a special kind of clipping... like it shows a continuous sub freq bump on the spectrum while non-stop clipping. ... it's like a leak? crash or something.
That sounds alot like a buffer that *might* not be clearing properly. Weird that I can't get it to do that in other DAWs, but I'll spend the whole weekend with it in FL to try and track it down, 2x users with the same problem can't be a coincedence. Thanks you for the bug confirm - it really helps a lot. Will get to the bottom of it!
3ee wrote: Other than that, I was quite surprised by the decent to very nice sound quality of this plug, congrats!
I would be happy to see this plug developed further. (more solid design, a bit more flexibility) :)
One of my faves so far within the DC contest, good luck! :tu:
Glad you like it and thanks!

KVRian
1138 posts since 11 Aug, 2004 from Breuillet, France

Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:06 am

Hello Ichad !

First, some bug reports :
  • I don't know if I have been able to hear the sound of the p22d7 algorithm. When I am using the Residue, and if I try to use the p22d7, the result sounds similar. If I start from another algorithm, I get another sound...
  • With the P Driver, I feel like the result is not the right one on the right. The volume increases a lot with the drive on the left, but remains the same on the right...
  • I got a very high volume increase with the Slurr algorithm and the Mix Mid knob, I wonder if it's normal
  • I have not been able to make the Dreifach algorithm clip very hard, and I wonder too if the volume knobs are in the right order...
So, we have never have enough distortion plug-ins right there :D I like a lot the interface, even if I would have liked to have the name of each knob written somewhere since it's always too long to wait for a tooltip to appear. It would be great also if the description you have put on the first page of the thread is displayed in the plug-in for each algorithm ;)

Anyway, I have appreciated a lot some of the algorithms here, such as the foldback ones, the broken, the Telebox, and more than the others the Residue. Even if I don't understand what a "modified quadratic residue formula" is :lol:

I'm not really a big user of "creative distortion" plug-ins, even if I use them sometimes as a send effect on voices, or very softly on insert on drum loops. But I think the algorithms are good and are as good as the ones we find in commercial products, or even better :wink:

KVRian

Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:36 am

Wolfen666 wrote:...[*]With the P Driver, I feel like the result is not the right one on the right. The volume increases a lot with the drive on the left, but remains the same on the right ...
Yeah, P Driver Gain seems to raise only the left channel and does not alter the right one. Discovered that too.
Wolfen666 wrote:... I like a lot the interface, even if I would have liked to have the name of each knob written somewhere since it's always too long to wait for a tooltip to appear. It would be great too if the description you have put on the first page of the thread is displayed in the plug-in for each algorithm ...
Thx for liking the UI. Because I suddenly decided to change the whole GUI after a pretty polished sounding beta (I felt that the old gfx did not fit anymore) I did not manage to do the label thingy anymore you and some others mentioned. That was my initial idea as well but we decided to concentrate on the most important parts to get Epicentre as polished as we can until deadline. I also created some better looking "lights" but somehow forgot to push the send button (last day) and they did not reach him. :D

I don´t know if it´s allowed to update the gfx while the contest is running but at least afterwards EpiCentre will get a proper facelift.

Regards
Sebastian

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:54 am

Wolfen666 wrote: I don't know if I have been able to hear the sound of the p22d7 algorithm. When I am using the Residue, and if I try to use the p22d7, the result sounds similar. If I start from another algorithm, I get another sound...
Will check for this...
Wolfen666 wrote: [*]With the P Driver, I feel like the result is not the right one on the right. The volume increases a lot with the drive on the left, but remains the same on the right...
Thanks, fixed in next release!
Wolfen666 wrote: I got a very high volume increase with the Slurr algorithm and the Mix Mid knob, I wonder if it's normal
The algorithm is a bit of an oddball, it can be too soft sometimes too. It's basically impossible to predict the output volume unless you know the current volume, the average volume(variable window dependent on the Big knob position) and the exact frequencies that is going into it - an FFT would be optimal. That would have killed my CPU :wink:
That being said, I have been pondering an alternative that might have slightly better level vs. frequency stability, but it's a complete code re-write, so not allowed by the rules for now. Will do it on the side and implement it post DC if everything pans out.
Wolfen666 wrote:I have not been able to make the Dreifach algorithm clip very hard, and I wonder too if the volume knobs are in the right order...
Yeah, it won't clip very hard - maybe I should push it a tad more, just worried about the DC rules, because it would require more than a simple x * 2 codewise: might break the "rework" rule. Will double check the order.
Wolfen666 wrote: I like a lot the interface,...
That's Halma's awesome work, went through many versions. Originally had a bright 70s pedal style GUI.
Wolfen666 wrote: even if I would have liked to have the name of each knob written somewhere since it's always too long to wait for a tooltip to appear.
Consider this done, post DC.

Wolfen666 wrote: Anyway, I have appreciated a lot some of the algorithms here, such as the foldback ones, the broken, the Telebox, and more than the others the Residue. Even if I don't understand what a "modified quadratic residue formula" is :lol:
Thanks! Telebox is my current favourite atm. As for "quadratic residue formula" -> it's used very out of context, came across it while crunching some numbers for a friend whom was building some diffusers for his home studio - should actually build some myself...

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~kglee/pubs/ ... node2.html
Wolfen666 wrote: I'm not really a big user of "creative distortion" plug-ins, even if I use them sometimes as a send effect on voices, or very softly on insert on drum loops. But I think the algorithms are good and are as good as the ones we find in commercial products, or even better :wink:
Thank you! That means alot coming from such a well respected and experienced programmer like yourself! :hug:

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2021”