SirSickSik's Dynamic Frequency Limiter Update

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Totally overseen.... the sidechain switch wasn't working yet, due to having the wrong internal values.

I've uploaded the new version 1.1 to my dropbox.
If I'm right, there shouldn't be anything else that needs bugfixing
As a human I say: nobis vivendum est!
As a musician I say: nobis musicum essendum est!
As a friend I say: nobis birram bibendum est!

SirSickSik

This is the only plugin I've got so far. Compressor works great! Not a fan of peak eq's, would have liked to see other filter types...or are they in there? Still checking it out.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

You can't control the filter types, I'm sorry

it would be possible to add the control, but I think I'm not allowed to alter the plugin that much.
The filter types ARE included. That means, the modules used already have these filter types inside (engine as well as display), I just didn't gave them any controls for the end-user to keep it a bit more easier to use.

If the jury would allow it, I could add a right-click option to select filter type on the frequency knobs.. This wouldn't alter the looks of the plugin, just add a couple of options which were already a possibility in some way..
But this would still only work for the analysing part as you need the gain-control of the peakfilter for the compression to work (LP and HP filters don't have a gain control and the shelving filters don't have a slope control... I've made my own calculation-routing within synthedit (I'm no C++ coder) for the biquad filter coefficients a couple of weeks ago, which is able to use the slope control, but this asks by far too many cpu to be used in this plugin)

So yeah, no other filter types can be chosen..

sirsicksik

SirSickSik

What samplerate does this work accurately for?
Using it at 96khz, tuning is wrong, and I think the envelopes may be shorter also.

Very nice plugin to mess with on breakbeats, thanks!

samplerate shouldn't be a problem for the filters used. as far as I know the filters only work better on higher samplerates.
The filter-display also changes according to the samplerate as the biquad filters will react differently (filter is then more precise for higher frequencies).
I've checked the envelope module and this one reacts the same for 44khz and 96khz.
For the rest there isn't really

What could be quite different is the way the limiter release responds.
In there, there is a feedback loop to adjust the releasetime according to peaklevel. The higher the peak, the shorter the releasetime. This was needed as the transient knob can induce a very high +dB gain on the signal with long attack time and transient fully clockwise. When the +dB was ridiculously high, the limiter just completely 'shut-down' and just stayed in that position.
So I made the releasetime interdependent of the outgoing peaklevel.
The feedback path used for doing this is shorter for 96khz , so the peak-dependent response is also different.

This last change can't be fixed, as this is due to the way how synthedit processes the audio as seperate blocks, one after each other. So on 44khz, this feedback path is about 2ms and on 96khz, this should be about 1ms, changing the coloration by the limiter's peak->release response.

SirSickSik

ps, try the limiter on a kick with a very long tail. You can still shape it to whatever you want, even to very short, punchy kicks.
click exxagerate button to go into 'duck' mode. The delay+attack time is the time the sound is let through, before the gain reduction forces it way down.

Using the 'gain' knob, you can make envelope dependent resonances. Combining it with the transients, attack/release and delay knobs, you can either duck or boost the resonance in either punch or tail.

Crank down the threshold, ratio to full and turn gain up...and create a sustain in a certain frequency region.

All of the above mentioned together with very short release times for both compressor stage and limiter stage: peak dependent distortion! woohoo!

SirSickSik

ah, and another good use:
put it after a distortion and use the sidechain option to reshape the punch of your sounds and boost to restore frequencies eg. the bass for basskicks.

SirSickSik

This is definitely one of my favorites so far, might end up being my absolutely favorite.

i won't lie, all I'm really able to get out if so far is very dramatic, sound altering effects. and while cool, i imagine i'm not using it to it's full potential...I'm definitely going to continue messing with it, and trying out the ideas you've already suggested, but any chance of a video tutorial showcasing some intended uses for it?

Edit: actually see a video got posted to youtube 3 days ago; not sure how indepth it goes, i'll check it out once i'm home...
Last edited by NAEG on Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ja man, maak een video en toon ons zijn potentieel!

Cute.

NAEG wrote:
NAEG wrote:This is definitely one of my favorites so far, might end up being my absolutely favorite.

i won't lie, all I'm really able to get out if so far is very dramatic, sound altering effects. and while cool, i imagine i'm not using it to it's full potential...I'm definitely going to continue messing with it, and trying out the ideas you've already suggested, but any chance of a video tutorial showcasing some intended uses for it?

Edit: actually see a video got posted to youtube 3 days ago; not sure how indepth it goes, i'll check it out once i'm home...
second edit: ah, it's just a quick demo vid. Still one of my fave plugins, but yeah, feel this could be used for more subtle mixing effects... will continue to mess with; but either way lovin it.
Last edited by NAEG on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

woops double post. so good with these forums.

I'll try to make some video tutorials. But I don't have any video-editing program and I'll probably be using an old telephone for recording haha
Also, for today I promised a friend of mine that I would be working on our parametric mid-side equaliser for "NoizLab" and I'll have to work 6 days in a row after today.. so I'm not sure when I'll have time for it.

SirSickSik

hey no worries,

even if it's recorded on a potato a couple months from now it'd be appreciated (of course if it just doesn't happen, well, n o worries there either). parametric mid-side eq from you sounds interesting as well ;)

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”