Before You Vote: IMPORTANT

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MeekPro was created out of inspiration, not conflict. I'm not judging Meeks life troubles or style. As I try to give producers and artist fun free products, my main focus is making useful stuff. Thats not easy, but I try. I will create x64 stuff in the future, and yes it will always be controversy with anything I do. Its been like that since I started Acidacide in 1994. Vote for what you like, but I love my supporters, thankyou.

Adolf Hitler Compressor!
GAS anyone?
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

wow, that's a mess. i know no one cares, but i'll offer my opinion anyway :-)

Syntilla, you wondered why Fabien was bringing up blasphemy? well, he posted an opinion you disagree with, you took issue with that and turned it into a whole crusade in the name of Joe Meek, calling for doing something completely unrelated to the issue at hand (namely, to vote for a plugin named after Joe Meek and deprive other developers of their votes in the process, who had done nothing wrong and had nothing to do with any of this). in other words, you're reacting as if you're a muslim and i said that Mohammed was a child molester (or something else about Islam, which would be considered "blasphemous").

it's clear that Fabien doesn't share your admiration of Joe Meek, and it's clearly not because he killed someone - in fact, he provided an example of why he thinks Joe Meek is, to paraphrase him, overrated (or rightfully forgotten). whether you agree with him or not is a matter of opinion, and it's not wrong (i.e. blasphemous) to disagree with you on this.

now, Fabien's insensitivity towards people with mental illnesses is a different issue and can be debated, but that's not how you do it, and this whole circus is certainly not warranted.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

whyterabbyt wrote:Sorry, that wasnt clear. You talked about it as being less of a crime, that kind of frames it in terms of legality, rather than opinion...
Well I was trying to get an opinion about the legality aspect of it, but Syntilla doesn't seem to want to actually discuss. I've got my own set of opinions based on experiences I've gone through (prison and all) and well, would like to hear more from a person who is trying to make a moral stand here.
whyterabbyt wrote:If someone accidently kills someone, do we immediately disavow all their accomplishments?

To me, the main division of opinion over Meek primarily seems this: some people believe that it was murder, and thus his entire body of work effectively becomes damned by association. Others believe that it was not, and that his work should not be judged on what happened.
Being less misanthropic than some, personally I'll stick with 'innocent until proven', and recognise his craft. Mileages vary.
That's actually a interesting question (the division of opinion) and tells something of how people actually react to criminals, though I'm not sure what that something is.

As for Joe Meek accidentally shooting his landlady and then himself with a shotgun, well, it's not impossible it was accidental, but I'd suspect that's highly unlikely.

But the question of an artist, who later on becomes a killer/criminal, do their works become 'damned by association', I think that's interesting. Those artists are fairly rare, but not entirely uncommon. The stance towards them obviously very much depends on the crime they committed but also on the art they created, and from the top of my head, I think killers actually get it better than others. See Don Drummond (that man was pure gold and was convicted as legally insane), Vybz Kartell, Varg Vikernes, Joe Meek; they're all 'forgiven', while someone like that pedophile painter who got convicted in the UK some time ago, time probably won't forgive him. I think the same kind of attitude of forgiveness is also reflected in 'regular people' committing crimes. Perhaps it also has to do with the duration of the crime itself.

Here is a fine Moroder-Meek medley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUPk8dWES8c

Compyfox wrote:OMG report him then or just drop this nonsense!
Was surprised to find this thread still active.
And no-one's forcing you to join in.
Tricky-Loops wrote:I'm tempted now to buy a plugin from FabienTDR, I guess even Joe Meek would use the Gentleman Edition... :P
Nice to see a whiff of homophobia creeping into a thread about people's attitudes towards the mentally ill.

Different cultures, I guess.
None of the really dumb people I knew when I was young are young any more.

Syntilla i understand you very well.

btw.. "Telstar" was very cool! This guy was ahead his time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBYdp84AwuU
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

OK now you're being silly. where's homophobia in that quote? the GE is Fabien's paid-for version of the great freeware plugins he (and others) has. it's an appeal to quality of Fabien's plugins (ones that even Joe Meek would use) rather than... than what exactly? i don't get it, maybe you can enlighten me.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Now that you're swinging the homophobia hammer already, would you please answer my question and tell me how I am, and per your original post, all of us, are somehow in debt to this man?

"In an episode of extreme psychotic delusion, he shot dead first his landlady, then himself, tragically cutting short the life of a complete innocent along with that of a truly creative artist to whom we all, one way or another, still owe a considerable debt."

Burillo wrote:OK now you're being silly. where's homophobia in that quote? the GE is Fabien's paid-for version of the great freeware plugins he (and others) has. it's an appeal to quality of Fabien's plugins (ones that even Joe Meek would use) rather than... than what exactly? i don't get it, maybe you can enlighten me.
"I guess even Joe Meek would use the Gentleman Edition.."

Really that hard to get?
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

it's in the eye of the beholder, i guess. i sort of "get" how "Gentleman Edition" could be a reference to how Joe Meek liked gentle men, but for the life of me i can't figure out where's the homophobic part of it.

valerian_777 wrote:Really that hard to get?
Compared to you tasteless Hitler GAS "joke"

Numanoid wrote:
valerian_777 wrote:Really that hard to get?
Compared to you tasteless Hitler GAS "joke"
Which joke?
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

valerian_777 wrote:Which joke?
A very bad one:
valerian_777 wrote:
Adolf Hitler Compressor!
GAS anyone?

Can you explain what you trying to say? I dont understand how you think that this was a joke.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”