Lord of the Springs

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Lord of the Springs

Sorry, I should have checked the Read Me file in the zip, doh!
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Oh no, no problem at all... I wonder, how much I wrote about it...oh, yeah, I did mention it, haha! Man, it all went so quickly.

Anyway, I just made another little example for you:
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/lots-scrubby

This is pure scrubbing without any Hit Power... two instances and I added a fun little echo at the end....:roll: ;)

Didn't get to demo this one yet, but my question is: can I tune it to sound like chimes on the bar, and sweep on the keys with finger to get the bar-chimes sound?

Edit: I just saw there are 2 springs only, right? Probably not enough for a bar chimes... :hihi:

Hahahaha, 2 springs PER KEY! But it really is 5 springs per key and one Spring to rule them all, making it 641 springs!
That's enough for all the chimes in the world, I would imagine! :hihi:

So, yeah...go ahead, do that! If you listen to my first demo, there's a tiny moment in the first section, when I go across all keys, down on all the blacks and up on all the whites, while holding the sustain pedal...this is on my fullsize keyboard (88). ;)
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/lordofthesprings-demo01

Yeah I hear it, sounds more like... springs, though. Maybe your next one could be chimes based? To make a collection of small synths on purpose ;)

641 sprigs you say, my perc-man would be in bar-heaven :hihi:

Dude, you asked me to change the title of my thread. I feel I should now ask you to change the name of your creation. Although I have no objection to the name you chose, it does sort of make me laugh. It makes me think of a womanizer. The "springs" part reminds me of mattresses. Oh wait, don't change it. I need to giggle some more later on.

PS. The day I grow up is the day I stop giggling. I happen to love giggling. And what's so good about being grown up? I don't wanna be bald. I mean look at Mick Jagger at UltimateClassicRock dotcom... he may be all wrinkly but, not being grown up mentally, he is at least not bald. Doesn't look like a toupee to me. Hahaha.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

HAAAHAHA.... dang, man! :lol: :lol: :lol: :dog:
That's so freaking hilarious! :lol: ...dang, why... fantastic, thanks!

No, don't worry at all, growing up won't take the giggles away. Growing up in an oppressed system and NOT realizing it, that can take them away, but the more aware you are, the easier it is to let go and see the absurd humor in many things.
You're pretty stubborn - (besides funny as heck, haha...I won't ever get over this now...lord of the springs, hahaha, shit, sorry) - but you don't do yourself any favors. You may not realize it, but your thread makes you come across like a bad insurance-salesman. Are you?
Growing up means to become more aware. It doesn't take ignorance to enjoy life, but it takes ignorance to ruin it for others!

chris.r wrote:Yeah I hear it, sounds more like... springs, though. Maybe your next one could be chimes based? To make a collection of small synths on purpose ;)

I love it, finding out about what degree of engagement we all have to deal with. :shrug: I almost believe you haven't tried downloading the 250kb and popping it into your vst folder just to check it out for yourself, have you? :scared:

Ah well, it's all experimental and meant to offer new ideas to explore. It's full of flaws and ways away from reaching its potential, but it's a start. I still really hope you get to try it and get some kick out of it. But you'd have to chew for yourself, you know... something people sometimes forget as they consume for free, I'm afraid. :drunk:

Taron wrote:
chris.r wrote:Yeah I hear it, sounds more like... springs, though. Maybe your next one could be chimes based? To make a collection of small synths on purpose ;)

I love it, finding out about what degree of engagement we all have to deal with. :shrug: I almost believe you haven't tried downloading the 250kb and popping it into your vst folder just to check it out for yourself, have you? :scared:

Ah well, it's all experimental and meant to offer new ideas to explore. It's full of flaws and ways away from reaching its potential, but it's a start. I still really hope you get to try it and get some kick out of it. But you'd have to chew for yourself, you know... something people sometimes forget as they consume for free, I'm afraid. :drunk:
Hey Taron, by saying "sounds more like springs, though" I didn't mean anything like disappointment! In the end it's exatly what you made mate - a spring inspired instument 8) When I get to test the plugin I'll shurely look on the chimes-sound possibilities, but it's anything close to disappointment when it sounds like... springs, actually :wink:

I just popped up with an instant idea after I heard your demos...

EDIT: maybe my previous comment got biased by the next one below it :hihi:

Ah, thanks, Chris, don't worry! It's a strange day today somehow.
Along the way, when I started developing it, I had made many different experiments. Among them was a kind of ring of springs, where the last one would stimulate the first one and so on. The result was a very chime like sound, but extremely hard to control.
I'm still experimenting around, so there's a good chance that eventually I have some more complex events happening.
I actually started out with a chain of springs, something I had done in BlitzMax before, which I often use as coding sandbox. For some bizarre reason, I couldn't get it to work for my vst, but the result was really, really nice sounding wooden blocks and percussion. I'm not sure where my brain started farting, but I sure hope I can still figure that one out, because it is really promising. However, making 128 of them run simultaneously might be a bit courageous, haha, so...eh... that will have a different concept, then, I'm afraid.

Anyway, never mind all that, thank you, Chris, and I apologize if I came across a bit bitchy there. Strange day and you've done nothing wrong! :tu:
I really hope you get a kick out of springs, too... damned, now I can't get that perfect adult film title out of my head, haha...such a bastard! :lol: :dog: ...also not your fault! :hihi:

All fine :tu:

Right, in a bar of chimes, the single chime produce it's sound from striking each other around, that's bit different approach, still nice idea for the future maybe... Wooden percussion sounds also promising :)

I'll get back to you when I finally start demoing the plugs. I'm in process of moving to a new house and haven't still set my desk and toys up. Need couple more days.

Ah, oh, ahhh, that's what you wanted...the interaction between the individual resonators, like a little physics/dynamics routine to have them bang and tumble around each other, ahhaha, yeah, that's GREAT! :lol: :tu: ...I wanted to add a routine that would allow multiple keys to be struck at specifiable note intervals, but such a physics toy would be also just GREAT! I'll give it a go for sure.
I really thought you were mostly concerned with the sound itself...sheeesh. Well, there goes another one towards clearer communication. That is your fault, though! :lol: ;)

Cool!

Well, looking very much forward to what you'll do with all this! :phones:

Sure it's my fault as english isn't my native language! And of course I couldn't speak about the sound since I didn't give it a spin yet. But when I finally do... :hihi:

Here's a new little demo track:
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/lordofthesprings-demo03
I've tried to do an OSC style test with using LotS for everything. Even drums where surprisingly pleasant to create.

Taron wrote:Here's a new little demo track:
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/lordofthesprings-demo03
I've tried to do an OSC style test with using LotS for everything. Even drums where surprisingly pleasant to create.
ohlala,
haven't fooled around much with LotS so far so i didn't think such drumsounds could be made with it.
would it be possible to publish those preset as a start for understanding and inspiration?

you did some great work with this instrument as far as i can see.

cheers,
tl.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”