Sound Designer Challenge

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's probably true that in most cases, developers are also very capable sound designers (they have to be?) but...
it's understandable that some developers are too busy fine tuning and bug-proofing their entries to be making presets.

And so, a Sound Designer Challenge using only Developer Challenge entries might be good for the Developer Challenge?
Why not have some kind of Sound Designer Challenge after the Developer Challenge is completed?

Even better is to have the Sound Designer Challenge happening at the same time as the Developer Challenge?
If sound designers are given early access to the Developer Challenge entries then the two Challenges can run parallel to each other?
That way, the preset makers will also be advanced testers in a way, meaning that the DC entries will first have to work on the sound designer's computer and DAW, etc.

Regular voters can vote better if there are more, and possibly better, presets for the DC entries because most voters are not preset makers.
I could be wrong about that but I'm not sure.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

There is the OSC which did put DC synths through extensive Sound design in the past. Though the MPS is the first synth that does not need presets at all...; - )

That's a great idea ! I will agree to implementate some preset in my KVR entry for make possible this. maybe i need to make some update for it stronger in patch change mode but it can do… why not have a specialized plugin with all the sound incorporated Inside. which can pose problem, it's maybe the fact of the 32 bit plugin… I Don't know if the majorities of the 64 bit plugin DAW are all equipped with a bridge 64 bit to 32 bit actually. And I thin also that if my project made a greats entries at the KVR DC2018, all a communitie of synthedit programmers could help me to pass my 32 bit plugin to 64 bit. Just some modules to update in C++ (I am a little limited in this area)

1) There are set limits on when people can get access to DC entries.
2) There's no good way to fairly compare presets between different synths (or effects)
3) Sound designers will disproportionally clump around a subset of the synths that are best for showing off on, undoubtedly with an effect on the voting.
4) We already have the OSC
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

So, I visited the OSC webpage.
https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/rules

That One Synth Challenge seems to be mostly about composing tunes using only one synth. And most of the synths used in past OSCs usually have tons of presets already, Synth1 and Dexed for example. So, it's possible that some participants of the OSC were using pre-made presets by other people? Sound designers and/or preset-makers might not necessarily be focused on tune-making because it might not be what they are interested in and so they might not have participated in the OSC?

Plus, the OSC focuses on one synth. The Sound Designer Challenge would be focused on 26 Developer Challenge entries consisting of synths AND effects. Okay, I guess soundware entries has to be excluded because how do you make presets for soundware?

The OSC allows effects, like reverb or whatever, to be used to extend or enhance the synth's sound capabilities. But that is irrelevant when it comes to making presets?

Briefly reading the OSC rules, I noticed that there are a few more "not allowed" limitations. With the Sound Designer Challenge there would be no "not allowed" rules because it's pretty much impossible to limit the making of presets? The rule would be something like "Make presets for any one DC18 entry". And that's it. Maybe. Oh wait, I just thought of another rule in the name of "balance". The rule is... sound designers have to pick two entries to make presets for. One entry is synth while the other is effect.

The sound designers doesn't have to do anything but make presets. No need for them to write tunes.

If the Developer Challenge and the Sound Designer Challenge are run at the same time then the DC18 entries would be better than the way it is because some talented preset makers can do miracles with presets and/or can demonstrate DC18 entries' full capabilities better than an empty preset.

Can't KVR give sound designers exception when it comes to early access to DC entries. The end result could be a better Developer Challenge because voters will be more informed because well-made presets are informative? Well-made presets would be good advertising for sound designers' reputation too.

If voters are trusted to be voters in the Developer Challenge (vote on synths and effects) then why not trust us to vote on presets too?

There are all kinds of Challenges. Why neglect sound design? Presets are important (to people who can't make great presets and just want to focus on writing songs or tunes) because what would Synth1 be without presets? Dexed too? And most hardware synths have presets? What would a car be without the "reverse gear" preset?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

harryupbabble wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:24 pm So, I visited the OSC webpage.
https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/rules

That One Synth Challenge seems to be mostly about composing tunes using only one synth. And most of the synths used in past OSCs usually have tons of presets already, Synth1 and Dexed for example. So, it's possible that some participants of the OSC were using pre-made presets by other people? Sound designers and/or preset-makers might not necessarily be focused on tune-making because it might not be what they are interested in and so they might not have participated in the OSC?

Plus, the OSC focuses on one synth. The Sound Designer Challenge would be focused on 26 Developer Challenge entries consisting of synths AND effects. Okay, I guess soundware entries has to be excluded because how do you make presets for soundware?

The OSC allows effects, like reverb or whatever, to be used to extend or enhance the synth's sound capabilities. But that is irrelevant when it comes to making presets?

Briefly reading the OSC rules, I noticed that there are a few more "not allowed" limitations. With the Sound Designer Challenge there would be no "not allowed" rules because it's pretty much impossible to limit the making of presets? The rule would be something like "Make presets for any one DC18 entry". And that's it. Maybe. Oh wait, I just thought of another rule in the name of "balance". The rule is... sound designers have to pick two entries to make presets for. One entry is synth while the other is effect.

The sound designers doesn't have to do anything but make presets. No need for them to write tunes.

If the Developer Challenge and the Sound Designer Challenge are run at the same time then the DC18 entries would be better than the way it is because some talented preset makers can do miracles with presets and/or can demonstrate DC18 entries' full capabilities better than an empty preset.

Can't KVR give sound designers exception when it comes to early access to DC entries. The end result could be a better Developer Challenge because voters will be more informed because well-made presets are informative? Well-made presets would be good advertising for sound designers' reputation too.

If voters are trusted to be voters in the Developer Challenge (vote on synths and effects) then why not trust us to vote on presets too?

There are all kinds of Challenges. Why neglect sound design? Presets are important (to people who can't make great presets and just want to focus on writing songs or tunes) because what would Synth1 be without presets? Dexed too? And most hardware synths have presets? What would a car be without the "reverse gear" preset?

Strong argument!
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

I had fun assembling the rushes of the second unfinished part of my first video and it's worth its weight in gold. Waiting for the result of the contest, a little Sound Design as I would hear it ...

https://youtu.be/Zu3vdMSs2xw

hoping that you love it and that you will not be angry that I chose this place to present it :party:

Good thoughts on the topic.

I think a Sound Designer Challenge should be about one single synth at time. And with categories:
Best Pad.
Best Lead.
Best Drone.
etc...

Good idea

one synth sound design (monthly comp)

it doesn't have to tie in with osc, but could do...

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”