Phuturetone GR-8

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
GRRRRRRR!
11898 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:01 pm

Nice work, punchy production.
NOVAkILL : Dell G7 Core i7, 32GB RAM, Win10, Zoom U24 | Studio One | JP6K, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, ARP Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Knifonium, Thorn, Equator, VG Carbon, Invader, Concept | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

KVRian
1422 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:01 pm

Thanks !
This post is supposed to be non-agressive. Now please give me a broad smile. :ud:

KVRist
46 posts since 28 Aug, 2011 from Belgrade, Serbia

Post Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:20 am

DJErmac wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:22 pm
I've made a quick song to see if I could actually use GR-8 only in a production. The answer is yes.

Here is the short demo song I made quickly (drums and sound FX are external, the only synth you hear is GR-8) :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rm9hjO ... sp=sharing

:tu:
Sounds great DJErmac, thank you for sharing!

KVRist
236 posts since 27 Aug, 2015 from Paris, France

Post Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:48 am

Not a big deal but I notice some strange behaviours with the in-built arpeggiator.

In Mono/Unison mode, arp mode up (seems to do it with every arp mode though) : In Ableton live 11, if I try to launch the same clip ( 3 notes chord with all notes starting at the same time at the beginning of the bar) again and again (play/stop, play/stop etc) the first note played by the arp is not consistent. Most of the time it starts with the lowest note, sometimes with the highest. Most of the notes are played twice in a row, some are played once. Quite unpredictable :)

In Poly mode it seems to work fine, but I had an issue when I set the arp octave to 2, the envelopes retriggered at the beginning of each octave (while it sounded more like legato on the other notes). Can't reproduce this one right now, but it happened.
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

KVRAF
2291 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:50 am

Gave it a whirl. Arp is buggy for me in FL Studio, Windows 10. When you hit play on the DAW the arp rate doubles although the displayed rate remains the same. When you stop the DAW the rate returns to normal. Also the arp in mono mode produces a lot of glitchy/squelchy noises at high cutoff values. All of that is evident on the default 'Arp: Analogue' preset if you turn off the effects and switch to mono.

I felt the switches needed too much mouse travel and could do with slightly wider area of effect, wouldn't mind seeing that sorted although not a major complaint.

Overall though quite a nice synth actually. Nothing fancy but it's got a meaty sound to it and it looks good. The effects are decent. Thumbs up.

KVRian

Post Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:41 am

Phuturetone wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:20 am
DJErmac wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:22 pm
I've made a quick song to see if I could actually use GR-8 only in a production. The answer is yes.

Here is the short demo song I made quickly (drums and sound FX are external, the only synth you hear is GR-8) :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rm9hjO ... sp=sharing

:tu:
Sounds great DJErmac, thank you for sharing!
Thanks for your synth ! :tu:
This post is supposed to be non-agressive. Now please give me a broad smile. :ud:

KVRian

Post Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:21 am

I'd like to report a crash. I named a preset "#doesn'tmatterwhat", saved, and boom, DAW crash. The preset has been correctly saved though. Maybe related to the fact that the name starts with a # ?

KVRist

Post Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:50 am

DJErmac wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:21 am
I'd like to report a crash. I named a preset "#doesn'tmatterwhat", saved, and boom, DAW crash. The preset has been correctly saved though. Maybe related to the fact that the name starts with a # ?
Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for reporting the bug. I wasn't able to reproduce it, tried saving a patch with the same name and it worked fine, both on Mac and PC. In case you experience another crash please send me the crash report so I can find what is causing the crash. Thank you!

KVRian
1191 posts since 16 Jan, 2004

Post Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:41 pm

I suspect it's an operating system issue - DJErmac - what OS are you running? Perhaps GR-8 is trying to save a file to a filesystem that does not support certain characters... Windows seems ok with those characters...

KVRist

Post Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:54 pm

A new update, version 1.0.3:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/gr-8-b ... /downloads

I've replaced the arp module. It uses less CPU and has the hold function.

@EdSfer and @Vortifex, hope the arp is working fine with the latest update. That thing is so complicated to make, it reminds me of those old cartoons with leaking barrels. As soon you close one leak another one appears...

Thanks again for all the reports!

KVRian

Post Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:58 pm

OzoneJunkie wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:41 pm
I suspect it's an operating system issue - DJErmac - what OS are you running? Perhaps GR-8 is trying to save a file to a filesystem that does not support certain characters... Windows seems ok with those characters...
Maybe... Windows 10 Pro, using Cubase 10.5.

KVRist
236 posts since 27 Aug, 2015 from Paris, France

Post Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:14 pm

Phuturetone wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:54 pm
A new update, version 1.0.3:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/gr-8-b ... /downloads

I've replaced the arp module. It uses less CPU and has the hold function.

@EdSfer and @Vortifex, hope the arp is working fine with the latest update. That thing is so complicated to make, it reminds me of those old cartoons with leaking barrels. As soon you close one leak another one appears...

Thanks again for all the reports!
Thanks so much for you reactivity :tu:

Alas, another issue appeared : now the notes and sequences seem ok in all modes, but the arp starts with a delay corresponding to its time value, ie if you are on 1/16, the sequence starts 1/16 too late.

Guess there are some leaking barrels left :wink:
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

KVRist

Post Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:30 pm

Thanks, EdSfer. The bug has been confirmed. The new arp module skips the first tick of the clock. :cry:

KVRian
1191 posts since 16 Jan, 2004

Post Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:07 pm

DJErmac wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:58 pm
OzoneJunkie wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:41 pm
Maybe... Windows 10 Pro, using Cubase 10.5.
Oh. Thought you might have been on a Mac. I think Windows it's fine, so must be a different issue, I guess...

KVRian

Post Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:56 pm

I just tried to save a new preset and got a Windows error message saying I can't write datas in this folder (the preset is saved correctly though). I assume this is what caused the initial crash. The presets are saved in my Documents folder (Documents/VST3 Presets/Phuturetone/GR-8/...). No crash this time.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2021”