What are good modes/scales for writing dark heavy electronic srtuff?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
MadBrain
KVRian
982 posts since 1 Dec, 2004

Post Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:39 am

Locrian exists in Arabic music as a rare Iraqi Maqam : Maqam Lami.

Jafo
KVRAF
1951 posts since 20 Dec, 2002 from The Benighted States of Trumpistan

Re: What are good modes/scales for writing dark heavy electronic srtuff?

Post Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:24 am

+1 to the Arabic music. Exponentially more scalar possibilities. Same goes for the two classical traditions of Indian music. Or really, anything microtonal.

Another possibility is to use one scale for ascending, and another for descending -- the above musics use this extensively, but we only use it in melodic minor.

You could also just use whatever scales and chords suit the mood you want to evoke in a given section of a song. Western music was big on this until the Baroque, so there's even a legitimate precedent.
Joy and kindness are acts of resistance -- fight the power!

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
9285 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Re: What are good modes/scales for writing dark heavy electronic srtuff?

Post Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:55 pm

tony10000 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:20 am
Excluded from the church modes because of the tritone...the devil's interval.
Actually, there was a B to B mode. It was the 4th mode, or Hypo-Phrygian (Phrygian plagal). But the end note wasn't B but E (as it shared the same Finalis as to authentic mode - Mode of E). And the "dominant" was A, exactly to avoid the diminished fifth.
Fernando (FMR)

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
9806 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: What are good modes/scales for writing dark heavy electronic srtuff?

Post Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:04 pm

Also, there’s not really much evidence that the church avoided it as the “devil’s tone” - it was avoided to avoid dissonance when singing.

The “devil’s tone” term became more widely used during the Baroque period, but many composers from that period believed that the term was much older than it actually is.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
61265 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: What are good modes/scales for writing dark heavy electronic srtuff?

Post Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:10 pm

Forgotten wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:04 pm
Also, there’s not really much evidence that the church avoided it as the “devil’s tone” - it was avoided to avoid dissonance when singing.

The “devil’s tone” term became more widely used during the Baroque period, but many composers from that period believed that the term was much older than it actually is.
theres also no proof that the devil had such a preference.
he is known to have a wide and varied taste in music.
not big on death metal or black metal, too many cliches, including the tritone, so...
also not a fan of mariachi.

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
9806 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: What are good modes/scales for writing dark heavy electronic srtuff?

Post Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:29 pm

I would assume the devil would want to punish us with music, so I assume Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift are more likely.

MRT
KVRian
1118 posts since 3 Dec, 2002

Re: What are good modes/scales for writing dark heavy electronic srtuff?

Post Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:39 pm

Forgotten:
I would assume the devil would want to punish us with music, so I assume Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift are more likely.
LOL, my first good laugh today!

fairlyclose
KVRist
344 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Re: What are good modes/scales for writing dark heavy electronic srtuff?

Post Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:30 pm

vurt wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:10 pm
Forgotten wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:04 pm
Also, there’s not really much evidence that the church avoided it as the “devil’s tone” - it was avoided to avoid dissonance when singing.

The “devil’s tone” term became more widely used during the Baroque period, but many composers from that period believed that the term was much older than it actually is.
theres also no proof that the devil had such a preference.
he is known to have a wide and varied taste in music.
not big on death metal or black metal, too many cliches, including the tritone, so...
also not a fan of mariachi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpL_cR4re68

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
61265 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: What are good modes/scales for writing dark heavy electronic srtuff?

Post Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:46 am

Forgotten wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:29 pm
I would assume the devil would want to punish us with music, so I assume Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift are more likely.
rude!
hes the one who teases and entertains, the other feller does the punishing...

User avatar
nix808
KVRAF
4124 posts since 22 Jul, 2006 from Tasmania, Australia

Re: What are good modes/scales for writing dark heavy electronic srtuff?

Post Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:58 am

the heaviest scales I have encountered weighed pallets
-I'll get my coat

.666 works well as a delay, dunno if it sounds tantalising as a chord heh

Return to “Music Theory”