Swingbeat; How do I do it?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

IncarnateX wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:00 pm I am not going further into this example to deny any maths, but it does surprise me that the hats are just dotted and not swing-delayed every second time. I take the peaks from the hats confirm this too?
There is nothing there at .333. Literally nothing hits there at any of the first 4 bars (after two false intros which are just garbage) and it looked for all the world like they may as well loop it at this point. At least I was well sick of the stupid thing.

As said previously, one can effect more feel by accenting and the tone of your drum(s) than if everything was uniform. Particularly with the hihat. I have thought 'some swing' and found it wasn't there before in fact.

Listen to the hat in TELEVISED for an example.

I’ll be damned but if it ain’t happen, it ain’t happen. Could be one of those beats my brain shuffles because it want it so. Well, at least you know from another thread who brainwashed me to make such twistings.

:ud:
:(

I give TELEVISED as a pretty good example, someone once pointed out how it (1st 4/4 section) swung, meaning the hihat work, and it literally does not. I checked, I didn't remember thinking to do that, and evidently no. I'd have to see what it looks like as a waveform, I still had the project with the MIDI back then.

Aha; some of that hihat filigree falls just about halfway between yer 75% and 66%. They are not peaks like kick and snare.
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Televised? Can you link it? I have no knowledge of hits within this genre.

The video I shared earlier. It's mine, it's not much of a hit!

Okay.

Meanwhile: if you leave enough space in your 16th note beat, e.g. you do really not have much pronounced other than the off beats 3, 7, 11, 15, then you do have an opportunity to imply shuffle that is not really there but induced by you only. I have experienced this a few times, but did not really think it was the case this time. One thing that can enhance this effect to me is the singer’s timing or someone dancing with implied shuffles. FWIW, such perceptual projections do not contradict what is known about how our brains deal with “empty spaces” visually or auditory.

Thus, my day is saved either way. My objections were about hard attitudes versus arguments to back them up and thus independent on whether the examples given swing at all.

:popcorn:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Teh brain will trick you when you need it to.

vurt wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:07 pm cant believe nobody got the bobby brown joke :cry:
I bet Whitney used to have a right laugh... :x The tossoh.

I still don’t get it Vurt. But I really wouldn’t know a Bobby B. song from an Elephant fart in the first place. However, you are free to explain me.

jancivil wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:01 pm Teh brain will trick you when you need it to.
Yeah, in this case my inner voice. Just imagin: “I told you not to count in 4, massa, and just look at you now: it works.”

jancivil wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:17 pm Hey there people, I'm Bobby Brown
They say I'm the cutest boy in town
My car is fast, my teeth is shiny
I tell all the girls they can kiss my heiny

Here I am at a famous school
I'm dressin' sharp and I'm actin' cool
Got a cheerleader here wants to help with my paper
Let her do all the work and maybe later I'll rape her

Oh God I am the American Dream
I do not think I'm too extreme
I'm a handsome son of a bitch
Gonna get a good job and be real rich
That will not do without the tune, Jan. Pure nostalgy, my first (but only) meeting with Zappa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUq_T_Bhau8

Since popcorn is available, if I'm going to see this again I think I'll get it off my chest.
christian f. wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:53 am Hahahaha ... you clearly don't know anything about producing swing beat or anything with a beat .I checked the noise on your Bandcamp and it looks like you spent more time posting here than actually producing music. lmfao
I can show something. The drums are pretty good on it. I probably understood more at 12 than you ever will. What do you have to show? You need ad hominem and bullshit for an argument. You have yet to say anything about rhythm here.
Apparently you function by slapping loops someone else made onto a sequencer and layer the shit.
You don't evidence you know one thing about how those records were produced. You evidence only supposition.
This forum is your only outlet, but no one wants to hear your "music" looking at the views and your "knowledge" of this style is sub zero.
Bitch, you don't know what I do. You snidely remarked, as though it was an argument at IncarnateX I was his hero. That's far from being the case, I don't think he even wants to hear TELEVISED, but in this world there are people who found me heroic going back decades.
I can back my shit up with the analysis. If you could, one supposes you would. You have nothing, literally nothing to offer the discussion but a lot of attitude.
christian f. wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:13 pmAll you guys do is talk and analyse , but Jan's music (and demand for it) speaks for it self.
Speaks what? Some infantile dipshit like you who thinks that Rump Shaker is good doesn't find anything in it? Who cares what you think. The best you can do is posture with some received and unexamined bullshit and maybe you know a genre tag better. You seem so desperate, you're faring as poorly as even possible so you need to strike out at a person with this quality. <Itself> is one word, btfw.
and demand for it
- so you think more demand = better music? Intellectually just vapid. I suppose then that Rump Shaker is better than everything that sold less that year? It's garbage.

Obvious argumentum ad populum fallacy. You can't argue or think your way out of a wet paper bag.

IncarnateX wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:02 pm
jancivil wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:17 pm Hey there people, I'm Bobby Brown
They say I'm the cutest boy in town
My car is fast, my teeth is shiny
I tell all the girls they can kiss my heiny

Here I am at a famous school
I'm dressin' sharp and I'm actin' cool
Got a cheerleader here wants to help with my paper
Let her do all the work and maybe later I'll rape her

Oh God I am the American Dream
I do not think I'm too extreme
I'm a handsome son of a bitch
Gonna get a good job and be real rich
That will not do without the tune, Jan. Pure nostalgy, my first (but only) meeting with Zappa:
It's a pretty good tune, actually. Probably my very least favorite Zappa of all.
Oddly, he believed Sheik Yerbouti sold as many copies as it did because gay bars in Germany embraced it hugely and the stupid songs stuck, particularly that one, with "I can take about an hour on the Tower of Power/as long as I gets a little golden shower'.

Here is something that 1) doesn't need cowbell; 2) exceeds pedestrian expectation in a big way; 3) doesn't sell a lot; and 4) was made by a guy many consider genius who dropped out of music altogether for a couple of decades because things can be pretty bleak when you don't gratify the hoi polloi like at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wClwaBuFOJA

Return to “Music Theory”