Coursera Music classes

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just in case anyone is interested, Coursera has some free music classes, like music theory and Write Like Mozart. Even if you don't plan on ever doing classical music, the information would be good for game and film composition.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/classical-composition

As long as you don't want a grade/certificate, most classes are free. I've taken a songwriting class so far, and it was pretty decent. I am just doing this for me, so I don't need the certificate. And frankly, not sure they are worth much.

There are some Berklee Music Production classes - not sure if they are free though. But it is worth checking out and they are only $49 if you have to pay.

dzilizzi wrote:Just in case anyone is interested, Coursera has some free music classes, like music theory and Write Like Mozart. Even if you don't plan on ever doing classical music, the information would be good for game and film composition.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/classical-composition

As long as you don't want a grade/certificate, most classes are free. I've taken a songwriting class so far, and it was pretty decent. I am just doing this for me, so I don't need the certificate. And frankly, not sure they are worth much.

There are some Berklee Music Production classes - not sure if they are free though. But it is worth checking out and they are only $49 if you have to pay.
Coursera has a lot of cool stuff available for free. Be careful how many you sign up for, or you could spend your whole day "studying". :wink:

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote: Coursera has a lot of cool stuff available for free. Be careful how many you sign up for, or you could spend your whole day "studying". :wink:

Steve
This is so true. I signed up for the Mozart one because I thought it would help with my arranging. I'm more a words and melody person. But it says expect to spend 6 to 8 hours a week on it for 6 weeks of the class. That can be a lot for some people.

The nice thing is, you can go back and listen/do the work for about a year, I think. You just won't have all the help.

dzilizzi wrote:
planetearth wrote: Coursera has a lot of cool stuff available for free. Be careful how many you sign up for, or you could spend your whole day "studying". :wink:

Steve
This is so true. I signed up for the Mozart one because I thought it would help with my arranging. I'm more a words and melody person. But it says expect to spend 6 to 8 hours a week on it for 6 weeks of the class. That can be a lot for some people.

The nice thing is, you can go back and listen/do the work for about a year, I think. You just won't have all the help.
Something else to keep in mind: I'm not sure Mozart is actually teaching that class. You might want to check first. Nothing more disappointing than thinking you're getting Mozart as your teacher, when in reality you get some punk kid who only knows Mozart from "that movie in the '80s--you know...with that guy" :wink:

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote:... I'm not sure Mozart is actually teaching that class. You might want to check first. Nothing more disappointing than thinking you're getting Mozart as your teacher, when in reality you get some punk kid who only knows Mozart from "that movie in the '80s--you know...with that guy"
I checked. You were right, Mozart is not teaching the class. It's taught by some guy named Salieri.

Best,

dp

I did one course from them and was meh but they do have "financial aid" (like this is some college, lol) which is really easy to get. I get more out of udemy where you can pick a course more zeroed in to what you need. Just wait for $10 for any course sales that come up every few months before buying anything.

OreoSplitter wrote:I did one course from them and was meh but they do have "financial aid" (like this is some college, lol) which is really easy to get. I get more out of udemy where you can pick a course more zeroed in to what you need. Just wait for $10 for any course sales that come up every few months before buying anything.
Well, it is free if you don't get the certificate. So, it never hurts to try.

Thanks for the info about udemy. I will look into them.

I followed a course a while ago. I was not aware of those other free courses. Great!

Courses that I did:

History of Rock.
I'm not really into rock music, so I thought that a course about the history of rock would be good for me. And it was! The teacher is very good. First part is kinda boring, as it goes to a part of rock that i'm not really interested (before 60s/70s), but it's a very good course with a lot of insights about history of american culture in the last century.

The Blues: Understanding and Performing an American Art Form.
At first, I thought that I wouldn't like this one. The teacher is not really comfortable with the camera, but he has a lot of knowledge about the subject. But, if you survive to the first 2 weeks, things get way better. He tells the history of blues harmony (more in a jazz context) and how each jazz subgenre gave his own flavor to blues.

Creating Synthesizer Sounds for Electronic Music
This instructor is good and there's another courses with him. This course is very objective: in each class, he give us some very objective tips about building some kind of pacthes. During the course, you build a mini-track with the patches that you've created. The used synth is FXpansion Strobe2

Return to “Music Theory”