What one bit of Music Theory was really helpful that caused your songwriting to improve ?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:35 pm Anyways. Reigning it all back in on topic before the two usual suspects tried to derail this into an orgy of polyphony .... .. ..
As if you have any idea what that is in the first place, ass shaker. :wink:

Boomshakaboom, here comes the doom.

Derail, you mean like the thread question of melody being just an elaborate arpeggio was derailed when you tried to pretend to argue modern people and modern audiences don't care about whether or not 'learning music' happens.

telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:44 pm My own personal take on use of loops is , it's a cheap short cut ... But I guess it's no different that buying presets for Diva or Massive.
Yes because presets, e.g, a brass sound, can be concieved on par with any loops containing several instruments playing chords and melodies, drums and perc never made by yourself. Precisely the same, right? :tu:

I don’t think so, really. Maybe what you meant was autoarranger keyboards with premade shit too? In that case, you are right there are some resemblance using autoarranger presets and using loops, though in the first case you can still play your own melodies and chords and then the comparison is not worth much at the end of the day.

Or maybe tou just meant arppegiated presets? Yes there could be some resemblance but even arppegiations can be personalized if they can be programmed or you just are firm to play an arpeggiator. I am splendid. So says my ass and therefore it is true, just like in your own case.

Or maybe you just do not really know what you mean at the end of the day but just let anything our that comes to ass?

I bet on the latter

telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:44 pm
jancivil wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:49 pm Using loops is going to result in a lack of flow for most of what we're going to experience as a piece of music. I'm not going to try and speak to very experimental use of material using cutting, stretching, re-ordering in a more radical sense, as beyond my intent.

But for instance, I have tried and use the phrases in EWQL RA, which are legit musical phrases in the idiom but they're out of all context and it's not designed so that anything really follows. It would be better if there were little gestures which make sense *typically* (cadences) along with an intelligent solo legato script. Or like in jazz, you do provide 'doits' and 'falls'; in classical percussion, 'upbeats' and rolls.

Construction kits sort of approach, you can do too much and it's not giving the user more, really. So you can abstract that argument out, you're trying to copy/paste someone else's idea of what is useful generically: where is the line of thought? What is the actual idea? Are you Dr Frankenstein building a very unhappy monster who would rather not have been started.

I think they're really made for a singer-songwriter to get a song started very generically. I don't think trying that as your own work is a good m.o. For you as a person to begin with. Music is so rich and you're trying to miss out. (universal 'you', NB)
Your assumption of what and how people are as should experience a piece of music is highly snob and assumes they are you. A human experiences a piece of music in many different ways. A EDM fan at a EDM events is there to experience the beats and the euphoria of the crowd. They aren't going to sit in a corner and focus on the technical aspects of what they are hearing. They are still experiencing the music.
Your pretense at replying to something we can all see, because you quoted it using the quotes function, is idiotic and pathetic.

I talked about my own experience using something which is de facto the use of loops. I posited a question regarding flow which is based in me being a composer for ≊ 40 yrs. I said exactly nothing to the effect of telling people how they should experience anything. More desperation and trying to change what is said into something you can shitpost about.
There is literally nothing to suggest even I "sit in a corner and focus on the technical aspects". You seem to quite resent there is someone you see posting who HAS some ability to talk about a technical aspect, but AGAIN you're just making shit up.

"the euphoria of the crowd" is not experiencing music anyway.

:idiot:

IncarnateX wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:45 pm
telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:35 pm Anyways. Reigning it all back in on topic before the two usual suspects tried to derail this into an orgy of polyphony .... .. ..
As if you have any idea what that is in the first place, ass shaker. :wink:

Boomshakaboom, here comes the doom.
where there is ren, stimpy is not far behind, eh?

of course i know polyphony. wasn't she the villain in that roger moore james bond film? you know, the one where he's in the deep south with the cop guy from canonball run.

:hyper:
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

IncarnateX wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:00 pm
telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:44 pm My own personal take on use of loops is , it's a cheap short cut ... But I guess it's no different that buying presets for Diva or Massive.
Yes because presets, e.g, a brass sound, can be concieved on par with any loops containing several instruments playing chords and melodies, drums and perc never made by yourself. Precisely the same, right? :tu:

I don’t think so, really. Maybe what you meant was autoarranger keyboards with premade shit too? In that case, you are right there are some resemblance using autoarranger presets and using loops, though in the first case you can still play your own melodies and chords and then the comparison is not worth much at the end of the day.

Or maybe tou just meant arppegiated presets? Yes there could be some resemblance but even arppegiations can be personalized if they can be programmed or you just are firm to play an arpeggiator. I am splendid. So says my ass and therefore it is true, just like in your own case.

Or maybe you just do not really know what you mean at the end of the day but just let anything our that comes to ass?

I bet on the latter
no. what i mean that loops allow you to same time and focus on other things you want to work on. same as buying pre-packaged presets for VSTs. but nice derail attempt.

so, did you like that nicky minaj fart post? it was good, no?

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:44 pm use of loops no different that buying presets for Diva or Massive.
/sic

Just further proof of cluelessness. Use of a construction kit, which was the goal you threw an airball at, is the end user is given phrases and beats (meaning drum parts). Using a preset in a synth product is, for example one I used and really dug was 'Old Suitcase' in some Reaktor thing which came up in the Kore browser. It didn't really do 'old suitcase' Rhodes piano but it was a bright and musical piano patch which was my goal anyway. I wrote the f**king part. There was no loop.
OTOH what I use in say VSL Percussion's Thundersheet are performances. Loops. I use them. I can make them work in certain cases. You literally do not know what I do and have zero interest really in what my thought is. But you want to create a stupid little straw.man, which is all you, to try and look like you're talking about the thing. You aren't. You never are. Bullshit artist par excellence, though.

Slow_Clap.

So keep showing us what you don't know. That's a return to the topic 'What one bit of Music Theory was really helpful that caused your songwriting to improve?'?
It 100% is not on that topic. You can't speak to the topic, but you have to speak and shitpost anyway
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:06 pm

This thread reminds me more of;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UMedd03JCA

jancivil wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:03 pm
telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:44 pm
jancivil wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:49 pm Using loops is going to result in a lack of flow for most of what we're going to experience as a piece of music. I'm not going to try and speak to very experimental use of material using cutting, stretching, re-ordering in a more radical sense, as beyond my intent.

But for instance, I have tried and use the phrases in EWQL RA, which are legit musical phrases in the idiom but they're out of all context and it's not designed so that anything really follows. It would be better if there were little gestures which make sense *typically* (cadences) along with an intelligent solo legato script. Or like in jazz, you do provide 'doits' and 'falls'; in classical percussion, 'upbeats' and rolls.

Construction kits sort of approach, you can do too much and it's not giving the user more, really. So you can abstract that argument out, you're trying to copy/paste someone else's idea of what is useful generically: where is the line of thought? What is the actual idea? Are you Dr Frankenstein building a very unhappy monster who would rather not have been started.

I think they're really made for a singer-songwriter to get a song started very generically. I don't think trying that as your own work is a good m.o. For you as a person to begin with. Music is so rich and you're trying to miss out. (universal 'you', NB)
Your assumption of what and how people are as should experience a piece of music is highly snob and assumes they are you. A human experiences a piece of music in many different ways. A EDM fan at a EDM events is there to experience the beats and the euphoria of the crowd. They aren't going to sit in a corner and focus on the technical aspects of what they are hearing. They are still experiencing the music.
Your pretense at replying to something we can all see, because you quoted it using the quotes function, is idiotic and pathetic.

I talked about my own experience using something which is de facto the use of loops. I posited a question regarding flow which is based in me being a composer for ≊ 40 yrs. I said exactly nothing to the effect of telling people how they should experience anything. More desperation and trying to change what is said into something you can shitpost about.
There is literally nothing to suggest even I "sit in a corner and focus on the technical aspects". You seem to quite resent there is someone you see posting who HAS some ability to talk about a technical aspect, but AGAIN you're just making shit up.

"the euphoria of the crowd" is not experiencing music anyway.

:idiot:
your high brow snob attitude does unsettle me and does of me make me a lack of words to describe thy lamer that you truly are yourself to be. or, you pretensions snob of a soddy snot you..

of course EDM is experiencing music. what do you think people are EDM events do, sit around and talk about Palestrina and polyphony for 5 hours? or, i forgot, in your world, only the rich elite that go to jazz events and sip their white wine while nodding away to the gentle grooves of those advanced jazzy chords experience music the way it should be experienced. oh how messed up you have become in your old age my dear.

look at them 99.9% white, rich and loving every minute o fit.

telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:06 pm where there is ren, stimpy is not far behind, eh?
So this signals you absolutely giving up trying pathetically to pretend to address a point, straight to your juvenile shitposting?
:clap:

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:13 pm

That's your Ray-bans, that is :hihi:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:23 pm

See that flying cock? That's you that is.

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:28 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:23 pm

See that flying cock? That's you that is.
:o

:hihi:

Personally, I wish there were no loops and electronic "musicians" formed bands. I think the attraction for a lot of people ia that they don't have to do it whereas the attraction for me is that it makes it possible that OlI can do it. Designing presets might be a step too far in terms of what I would expect people to do, but there is a limit to whats considered an acceptable preset, the limit I suppose is not intrinsoc to the preset but to how it is used. I don't see loops being used creatively in Edm, house, techno. I only see them being "used".

It doesn't end there, 16 bar riser effects that permits the Dj to stand back and pretend he is a god while the reality is, neither the dj or the producer did it, its just a cue mixed in with the other bits and pieces.
Last edited by Stamped Records on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:21 pm
telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:06 pm where there is ren, stimpy is not far behind, eh?
So this signals you absolutely giving up trying pathetically to pretend to address a point, straight to your juvenile shitposting?
:clap:
You must be joking my dear. You pranced in here and derailed this thread into turdland el grande.. your usual series of aimless attacks that achieve nothing. But what do I care. It's not like it's illegal to act like a duufus on the internet.

By all means, keep on rocking in the free world. Thats what it's there for.

Return to “Music Theory”