About standing in key

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jancivil wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:51 pm I would think you could find something here on a forum which would seem to have something for about everyone that is within your wheelhouse.
I did not visit this thread, I clicked on an interesting question I saw in the main forum. I never visit this part of KVR as I am sure you are aware. I do not have deep knowledge of music theory. I assumed that the OP was talking about orchestral work, and about the different keys that instruments play in. I am appalled at the language and attitude displayed in this section of KVR, but Hink seems happy with it,so who am I to question that ?

And by the way, I deleted my few words which seems to have caused so much upset,and apologized for any offense caused,what more can I do ?

Hink has asked me to keep out of this thread unless I have a positive contribution to make. Anything I say is likely to be turned to an excuse for an argument,so I will do as Hink asked and stay away.

We should really have a warning sticked to this forum:

This is a music theory forum not a dating site! Two rules:

1) Don’t mess up if you want to teach
2) You are on your own if you do

Seeing how dellboy is out can we stop quoting him?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Well, dellboy's last post was on pg 6, apparently and IncarnateX started dealing again with him on pg 8, so fine if he's out he's out, but who knew.

I've made my definitive statements on that crap, I think.

Well, I just thought we should not leave the false impression that the OP’s question was not answered. Dellboy is not the only one who has put that misunderstanding forward in this thread. It was. It is a simple question with a simple answer and even the sharp-flat comments were relevant.

I upload on soundcloud the chords and melody so you guys can listen to it. So I need to tune my kick, bass and all instruments to the key of this melody/chords?

Chords: https://soundcloud.com/test-cloud-624321508/chords
Melody: https://soundcloud.com/test-cloud-624321508/melody

Just a very earthly comment, in the middle of this expert discussion.

Your melody above and the chord sequence around it, is in the C-major.
The chords are about (can be interpreted differently, too, e.g. C+D= Dm7, or C sus 2)
C, G, C, Dm, G, Am7, C, C, G, C9, G, C6.
(incl. different inversions)

While you have been able to fit the melody to this harmony structure, what's the problem? (an other dimension is, that your melody is rather booring, but this is subjective, don't care about my opinion).

Just write all your other instrument parts, according to your arrangement, following this.

Tuning the percussions (kick etc.) is optional.

And - of course you COULD, if you will, expand the harmonies (to which direction your (C9, or C add9) kind of refers to. Even bolder, if you used e.g. F# / chord D, in stead of F /Dm, etc., i. e. notes ouside the scale.

"Tuning" instruments, as you put it, is a bit strange expression in the case of most keyboard and string instruments, its enough, when you play the notes you wish (the notes which fit to your scale/harmony structure).
Of course the instrument are good to "be tuned".

If it sounds good, it is good.

Short answer: You are already in key. No worries. Rest is nuances but I think you should just follow your ear, since you have no particular restrictions of style in play here. Your style falls under some “free” pop I guess. And hopefully your instruments are tuned already :wink: I tend to tune my drums but that is hardly dictated by theory, just a preference.

nm
Last edited by Harry_HH on Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry_HH wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:21 pm BTW, what did your reply add to mine?
A point? :hihi:

Was in a hurry and did not read your answer but seemed like a longer short answer, so chosed a shorter to the core.

Thanks guys😊

Harry_HH wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:58 am Just a very earthly comment, in the middle of this expert discussion.
Just for the record. Though you may mean it figuratively, I claim expertise to nothing but that in which I have a degree and that is not music theory. All things I said here are pretty basic but even from such basis you can get around a good deal of issues and express your own musical preferences and ideas to like minded musicians.

Edit: Wait a minute. I have actually shown a little expertise here, but that was not about music but my BS callings of postmodernism. From decades of experience I know what these pause clowns are going to tell me even before they do themselves. Now that is a sort of expertise, I guess.

Return to “Music Theory”