Does Melody Even Matter??

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mobius wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:11 pm I’ve just been reminded why I stopped visiting this forum, let alone commenting here. It’s one thing to disagree with someone’s post or video which they took time to put together and post, but it’s quite another to reply with ad hominem attacks.
Do you even know what 'ad hominem' means? In an argument - I mean essentially within a debate context - when you make the person the argument (their character, or their supposed motivation) INSTEAD OF arguing their points {ie., this is your strategy} you are committing the fallacy argumentum ad hominem, argument to the person.

Here, there was no argument even being had. So if someone here attacked the character or motivation of someone for doing what they did, it's actually on point. We could see what it was, it was patently obvious. What a person did was the topic.
There is no fallacy in it, there is no need for a strategy, there is no point to argue. The whole thing that went on here was we didn't care to be baited into seeing... whatever it is on a Youtube video from a person who posts this with no engagement with the community at_all, and that the notion in the leading question was, well, kind of just vapid.

And so your use of the term is vapid.
You're offended? Well aren't you a delicate flower, yet you had to come in like you're telling people off. GFY.

You have either 1) contributed nothing to the forum whatsoever, or more likely 2) are a member here under another name who is hiding behind a sock puppet, too chickenshit to come in here to impugn people's integrity (to no particular gain or point, in the thread which had taken its natural course to absurdity since no one much cares about its beginnings) and bear the future weight of we knowing who did this.

Either way, feel free to stop visiting or whatever.

elxsound wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:09 pm What is melody?
You 'um it and I'll play it :hihi:

vurt wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:22 pm
jancivil wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:08 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:42 pm
Bombadil wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:18 pm the red or the blue?
clearly you do not know me at all.
someone offers me two pills, im having both!
the ones that Mother gives you don't do anything at all, so it doesn't matter how many

but you do not want to be getting larger and small at the same time, I bet
depends which bits are growing and which are shrinking?

becoming a giant while your feet shrink for example, youd have no balance.

a growing head, would mean new hats, so that could get expensive. im already in a 63 :o
No no no. One pill makes *you* larger, one pill makes *you* small. There are no bits, there is no haggling.

... and don't go chasing rabbits.

I hope -insert topic- vlogging would just die already

well, im guessing jefferson airplane, never really read the book :hihi:

also, no one can remember what the dormouse said, because before he could speak, he dozed off!

bloody hippys.

(I actually like em though)

I knew which song it was immediately, but i actually remember it from Simpsons the most.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcawX4ORU8k

Technically, it’s the Eat Me cake that makes you larger, and the Drink Me bottle makes you small.

It could just be that Grace Slick was high.

Ploki wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:33 pm I knew which song it was immediately, but i actually remember it from Simpsons the most.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcawX4ORU8k
:lol: hi Ned! :lol: wasn't one of the farmers n that episode voiced by George Carlin?

Grace was on acid during the Airplane's Woodstock set, afaik.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

If the OP (and his sock puppet) really wanted to discuss this with other references than his own performance in a video, he could have started in an informed way such as to question the status of melodies in electronic music today. In the 80s, simple catchy melodies were driving a lot of genres, synthpop especially. In the 90s experiments were made and in Goa trance and EBM for example, the melody was moved to the bass making it the main drive. Then from the middle of 90s and further into the 00 a lot of genres, e.g. techno, Drum N bass, some instances of psy-trance and ambient dropped the melody completely in faver of rhythm, noise and chords or arppeggios at best. Could be interesting to explore to which extent the melody has come back to some of those melody-less genres past the 00s. At least there are e.g. techno and ambient heads on youtube using the term “melodic” as a prefix to signify a difference.

Jean-Claude Vannier's rabbit hole is worth visit. There you'll find Serge Gainsbourg's answer to the question of Melody...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj-AzuH6XXo
eh?

IncarnateX wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:47 pm If the OP (and his sock puppet) really wanted to discuss this with other references than his own performance in a video, he could have started in an informed way such as to question the status of melodies in electronic music today. In the 80s, simple catchy melodies were driving a lot of genres, synthpop especially. In the 90s experiments were made and in Goa trance and EBM for example, the melody was moved to the bass making it the main drive. Then from the middle of 90s and further into the 00 a lot of genres, e.g. techno, Drum N bass, some instances of psy-trance and ambient dropped the melody completely in faver of rhythm, noise and chords or arppeggios at best. Could be interesting to explore to which extent the melody has come back to some of those melody-less genres past the 00s. At least there are e.g. techno and ambient heads on youtube using the term “melodic” as a prefix to signify a difference.
I know you limited yourself to EDM scene, but there's plenty of pop/mainstream as well that has a less strict approach to melody.

seems like OP is only applying it to the r****** subgenre of trailer music or whatever it's called these days

jancivil wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:04 pm Technically, it’s the Eat Me cake that makes you larger, and the Drink Me bottle makes you small.

It could just be that Grace Slick was high.
You can get anything you want at Alice’s Restaurant.

I’ll have the cake.

And a cheeseburger. Well done.

Yesterday... all my clickbait seemed so far away...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Of course twinkling begins with a T!’ said the King sharply. ‘Do you take me for a dunce? Go on!’

‘I’m a poor man,’ the Hatter went on, ‘and most things twinkled after that—only the March Hare said—’

‘I didn’t!’ the March Hare interrupted in a great hurry.

‘You did!’ said the Hatter.

‘I deny it!’ said the March Hare.

‘He denies it,’ said the King: ‘leave out that part.’

‘Well, at any rate, the Dormouse said—’ the Hatter went on, looking anxiously round to see if he would deny it too: but the Dormouse denied nothing, being fast asleep.

‘After that,’ continued the Hatter, ‘I cut some more bread-and-butter—’

‘But what did the Dormouse say?’ one of the jury asked.

‘That I can’t remember,’ said the Hatter.

‘You must remember,’ remarked the King, ‘or I’ll have you executed.’

The miserable Hatter dropped his teacup and bread-and-butter, and went down on one knee. ‘I’m a poor man, your Majesty,’ he began.

‘You’re a very poor speaker,’ said the King.

Return to “Music Theory”