Understanding electronic music composing.

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ghost Snake wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:59 pm Well no need to get that personal...
nothing personal, I don’t know you other than an avatar which looks like a Millennial ;)

I kid

Forgotten wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:15 am
Isn’t that more the Shaffer version than the historical version? I though little or nothing of Salieri’s work has survived, yet he was held in high esteem as a composer in his time.
what jancivil said sounded like from amadeus, and what you said sounded like you're quoting lisa simpson as a response to what someone said about salieri from amadeus

I'm an electronic musician and I've approached music, first through clicky clicky, then theory and clicky clicky, then theory and simple chord progressions on keyboard (really simple). Then I picked up guitar and something sparked. Music is in the instrument - that's not a universal statement to poke holes in. I know the technological age has taken things in whole new avenues.

The guitar helped me to realise the biggest error I'd been making with respect to music. See when your brain gets stuck to a rigid tempo, groove doesn't make a lot of sense - even in a genre that is supposed to be all about groove like techno. If I heard music without an overt pulse, I would be hearing the rhythm as a slow tempo with 16ths (because of my techno brain I guess), instead of how it actually was, a fast tempo with 8ths. Still, even though I know it's 8ths when I'm playing something, I can make it groove like 16ths in my head and probably to a lot of other people too.

8th notes are much easier to play than 16ths so it's a trick of the mind really but it's shown me how music is much simpler than I thought, some of the time. I bet the majority of the music that I had taken to be complex, intricate 16th note patterns, were actually just simple 8ths, the most free-flowing and easy thing a human being can do with their hands on an instrument and yet so much brilliant music done with just that.

jancivil wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:23 pm
Ghost Snake wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:59 pm Well no need to get that personal...
nothing personal, I don’t know you other than an avatar which looks like a Millennial ;)

I kid
Wait, I don't have an avatar ! Where did you see it ? ? :)
I am musically schizophrenic

Ploki wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:42 am
Forgotten wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:15 am
Isn’t that more the Shaffer version than the historical version? I though little or nothing of Salieri’s work has survived, yet he was held in high esteem as a composer in his time.
what jancivil said sounded like from amadeus, and what you said sounded like you're quoting lisa simpson as a response to what someone said about salieri from amadeus
Eat my shorts

Stamped Records wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:17 pm
8th notes are much easier to play than 16ths so it's a trick of the mind really but it's shown me how music is much simpler than I thought, some of the time. I bet the majority of the music that I had taken to be complex, intricate 16th note patterns, were actually just simple 8ths, the most free-flowing and easy thing a human being can do with their hands on an instrument and yet so much brilliant music done with just that.
Hate to break it to you but 8th at 140 = 16th at 70.
I don’t perceive one as inherently easier than the other, nor do i think about it when i play.
And if you cant groove to a rigid tempo, you can’t groove and varying tempo wont help you.

Groove is not about tempo anyway, it’s about rhythmic variation (not playing notes as written in terms of length).

im more interested in what shirts the different subgenres of electronic music wear.
obviously we know modular users wear flowery shirts, that fact has already been established.
but im looking for which genre is "grown ass men wearing kids clothes".

asking for a friend.

vurt wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:46 pm im more interested in what shirts the different subgenres of electronic music wear.
obviously we know modular users wear flowery shirts, that fact has already been established.

asking for a friend.
Drum & Bass artists wear dark t-shirts and black baseball caps.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Kongru wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:50 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:46 pm im more interested in what shirts the different subgenres of electronic music wear.

asking for a friend.
Drum & Bass artists wear black baseball caps.
ah no.
headwear, im all grown up. trilbys, flat caps, a top hat, a bowler, a panama and a fedpra.
ok, theres a beanie for winter weather.

neck down. child.

cartoon and comic tshirts. hoodys and baggy jeans.
i dress like i still skate :lol:

vurt wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:46 pm im looking for which genre is "grown ass men wearing kids clothes".

asking for a friend.
Does it involve wearing a diaper/nappy too?

Forgotten wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:44 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:46 pm im looking for which genre is "grown ass men wearing kids clothes".

asking for a friend.
no, im not a reason user.

vurt wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:45 pm

asking for a friend.
Must be just me then.

vurt wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:45 pm

asking for a friend.
Yowzers :o

Reaper users wear a fedora, cargo shorts and fingerless gloves.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Ghost Snake wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:06 pm
jancivil wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:23 pm

I kid

Wait, I don't have an avatar ! Where did you see it ? ? :)
apparently it’s your soundcloud one

Return to “Music Theory”