Course on Chord Progressions Recognition?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there! I'm searching for improoving my ear, and would like to know if any of you know a good course or platform for ear training, specially on chord progressions recognition. If it's good I wouldn't mind paying.

Thanks a lot!

Any music theory course would be good, but before you start on recognizing chord progressions you would need to understand intervals, how to build chords and why tools like the circle of fifths and chord ladders are useful in getting you there.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I know music theory actually, but would like to improve the chord progression recognition. ThereforeI would like a good course about it, with an organized material and a good methodology. Internet and youtube have plenty of stuff, but disorganized and without a proper methodology. Do you know any good course focused on chord and progressions recognition?

d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Hey!! Hahaha do you believe that I have an annual subscription, I've seen the course on interval recognition, but didn't see before the one of chord progressions?? =P thank you VERY much!! All the best!!

I was checking better the courses on groove3, but they aren't what I'm looking for, unfortunately. I'd like specific training in recognizing chord progressions and none of the courses there does it. Does anyone know if some course about it? Thanks!!

Of course, you can Google: chord progression ear training - and - chord progression ear training app.
The websites and apps are like quiz games, for example: ChordProg Ear Trainer 2 and Earpeggio (free).
I wonder if the website and app ways of learning are relevant to musical feeling. or are their own "world"
Last edited by Michael L on Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Do you play guitar or piano? I'm no expert on how to recognize progressions, but I could not do it without knowing the guitar, so I can visualize it being played.

This does not require a course.

Take a dozen songs you think are challenging, and write out the chords.
Then play the chords yourself to check. If you can't (yet! You should learn that)
then enter the chords in BandInaBox to check whether you got it right.

Maybe first start with some songs you think are not that challenging.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Michael L wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:03 am Of course, you can Google: chord progression ear training - and - chord progression ear training app.
The websites and apps are like quiz games, for example: ChordProg Ear Trainer 2 and Earpeggio (free).
I wonder if the website and app ways of learning are relevant to musical feeling. or are their own "world"
Yeah, I've had googled it, but would like to hear if someone has specific indications, given the numerous possibilities. And about the apps, I think that they are obvious useful, but as you ponted out, sometimes they are not much "connected" with the musical world, it lacks context to many of these exercises.
trewq wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:19 am Do you play guitar or piano? I'm no expert on how to recognize progressions, but I could not do it without knowing the guitar, so I can visualize it being played.
I'm a guitar player, and I know it helps a lot. It really makes difference playing harmonic instruments, right?
BertKoor wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:39 am This does not require a course.

Take a dozen songs you think are challenging, and write out the chords.
Then play the chords yourself to check. If you can't (yet! You should learn that)
then enter the chords in BandInaBox to check whether you got it right.

Maybe first start with some songs you think are not that challenging.
This seems a nice exercise, thanks! I'll think about it.

Anyway, there are different approaches on how to find the chords, and that is what I'm searching for. Different methodologies on how to recognize the progressions efficiently. A course with recordings to exercise, for example, would also be useful. This course from Berklee seems amazing, but, as you can imagine, the price is prohibitive.
https://online.berklee.edu/courses/harm ... ogressions

Anyway, in this video, if it is intereseting for someone, the teacher (Roberta Radley) gives a nice summary of the method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-RDyYCcpfA

I recommend to you David Lucas Burge Masterclass series, there's a series of seminars divided in two: one perfect pitch course, and one relative pitch course. They really are great if your constant (as with everything) I start it we 0 training in solfege and the progress is magnificent, I still do those exercise many years after

https://www.udemy.com/course/how-to-rec ... sical-ear/

not progression but chords and their different voicings
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

For chord progressions ear training, i use EarMaster on PC (around 60€). The chord progressions ear training module is fine, although it might not be customised by the user (unless i missed something). [Edit : my bad, it is enterely customisable, this is awesome !]
I don't know if there is any video on youtube showing how it looks like.

https://www.earmaster.com/fr/shop.html

Excellent thread... This is something I have also been looking for, so thanks to everyone for being a great source of info as usual.
Last edited by WindMonk on Sat May 09, 2020 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

peakles wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:58 pm Hi there! I'm searching for improoving my ear, and would like to know if any of you know a good course or platform for ear training, specially on chord progressions recognition. If it's good I wouldn't mind paying.

Thanks a lot!
Recently Soundgym opened a new platform for musicians ear training.
https://www.tonegym.co/

Return to “Music Theory”